Esquire Hot Rails 3 way switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esquire Hot Rails 3 way switch wiring

I've got an esquire build lined up and I'm thinking about throwing some rails in it. I like the idea of position 1 being single coil, position 2 being parallel, and position 3 being series. Would anyone know how to wire it up? I saw one article from Premier Guitar but their diagram doesn't even show the pickups

I'd also like to know if the Hot Rails Tele can get twangy when split. I already have another Tele so it doesn't have to be Godsend but when playing live it would be nice to have a couple one trick ponies rather than bringing an entire arsenal. Thanks!

I'd love to see if a standard switch can do that. As far as a Hot Rails sounding twangy, my guess is no- it will be thinner than in series, but it sounds like a split hot pickup, not like a trad single coil at all. I think it actually sounds twangier in parallel.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think it's this one:

Comment

Here is a great idea: A "Twang" circuit to make split high output buckers sound twangy in Tele's.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That is a cool diagram- I hadn't seen it before.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yup. That’s the diagram. I did that in an Esquire build with a Chopper T pickup. Very cool setup.

Comment

I would use 500k volume pot and a modded wiring with an additional 500k resistor, so the pup sees 250k in single coil and parallel position.
              Last edited by hamerfan; 09-17-2021, 08:40 AM.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Here is a great idea: A "Twang" circuit to make split high output buckers sound twangy in Tele's.
                Would it be possible to wind the two coils of a humbucker differently so that one coil is twangy, and the other coil has a complementary tone so that when added to it, the overall tone of the humbucker is more balanced?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

Would it be possible to wind the two coils of a humbucker differently so that one coil is twangy, and the other coil has a complementary tone so that when added to it, the overall tone of the humbucker is more balanced?
                  I have three different versions of those. One is called a Custom, the other is called a StagMag, the other a Black Winter. StagMag sounds like a Distortion in series and a Strat when split. Custom sounds like a hot bright 59 in series and a Strat when split. A Black Winter can also do twang when split. (Have that in my Jackson right now with Esquire wiring. BW is like a warmer Distortion in series but twangs like a Custom and StagMag when split. Real twang comes from the scale length of the neck, but those pickups IME get you a fair amount of the way there. (Amp is the third leg of that twang stool).

Comment

Your best bet is to have series/parallel/split, but putting a bass cut on the split sound, else the parallel and split sound will be pretty similar and neither will be twangy
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                    X