Humbuckers in My Signature Style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbuckers in My Signature Style!

Brand new set of custom "Blackened" Black Winters ready for my latest build!

Offset Hex + Fillister Combo = best of both worlds and cool "wide range" humbucker style!

Well, that is certainly unique!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks cool. I'd expect those to be on the scoopy-er side of Winter, if my experiments with hex/filister in other pickups are indicative. Are these Custom Shop? Or Shop Floor Custom?

Comment

Cool look.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

They do look pretty sweet.

Comment

Mean, very mean Panzer Assault Machine!

Comment

How is the regular standard form blackened-BW neck model?
              Would it make a nice partner with a Nazgul trembucker?

Comment

Wow, those really look great! I totally dig them.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

yeah, i dig that. how do they sound?

Comment

I first did this on a set of Alpha/Omega pickups and liked the result. Smoothed out the edginess, but kept the tightness. Not a big change, but not a bad one, either.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Looks cool. I'd expect those to be on the scoopy-er side of Winter, if my experiments with hex/filister in other pickups are indicative. Are these Custom Shop? Or Shop Floor Custom?
                    The "Blackened" version (all hex) isn't hugely different than the regular BW, but it bites a bit harder and feels a bit stiffer overall, which the BW doesn't really benefit from as it's already plenty tight and bright, at least for me.

Same with the Alpha/Omega...bright, tight pickups. I actually did the poles opposite on the Alpha/Omega. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just go all-fillister on the A/O set, but I really like the look of the "offfset" hex/screw combo on the flat black bobbins and it let's the 2 coils "see" the strings slightly differently for a little added character.

To answer your question, these would normally be shop-floor custom, but you can now buy the "blackened" versions of the BW as standard production through a handful of retailers online and just switch out the poles yourself. I actually have a custom "blackened" JB/59 set done up the same way. No home for those yet, though.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                      How is the regular standard form blackened-BW neck model?
                      Would it make a nice partner with a Nazgul trembucker?
                      I think the BW neck would be a great match for the Nazgul! You might have to lower the neck a tad to balance the output, but the voicings and general character should complement each other very well.

One thing I'm surprised about is that no one (that I'm aware of) has tried the BW Neck model in the bridge yet! As an adaptation of the SH-6n (aka: Seymourizer), I bet it would slay in the bridge. Plus, in "blackened" form, it doesn't look "off" because there are no screw poles to suggest it isn't a bridge pickup.

Comment

Looks really cool. I'm curious to hear how it sounds. Post a clip.

This thread is inspiring me to mix a Invader with a Black Winter...

And a A5 magnet.
                        Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 10-21-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I always thought it might be cool to do like Mojotone, BKP and a few others do and use A5 flanking mags instead of the triple ceramic

Comment

Working...
                          X