Good match for SH5 Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good match for SH5 Custom

So, I swapped out the bland, boring, lifeless bridge pickup in my RG and put in a SH5 Custom. Love it !!! Now I'm looking to ditch the equally bland, boring, and lifeless neck pickup. What neck pickup are you matching with the Custom ? Jazz ? 59 ? Versatility is the key here. Was also wondering about the Alnico 2. I've got musical A.D.D., so if you ask me what I play, the answer is probably yeah.

PGn or 59n.
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

I have a Jazz paired with a Custom in on guitar and. 59N in another, of the two I prefer the warmer tone of the 59. The Jazz is cool, kinda startty chime to it, but I just prefer the 59 of the two.

The A2P is a Jazz with an A2 mag, little more smooth, not as much bright chime as the Jazz.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The Jazz is a great choice. If you want more bass than a Jazz, look at a 59.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Presuming your RG is a 24-fretter, my inclination might be towards the bigger bass of the 59. However, the choice really is guitar-specific.

Comment

Yeah, she's the standard issue 24 fret, basswood bodied, rosewood fretboard Ibby. It is a hard tail, though

Comment

The 59 is an easy match - same EQ curve, just less power, a classic style PAF.

A PG is a spicier selection with a sweeter top, less bass and a little bite

An A2P would add a nice mid push that the Custom doesn't have, and a fat high end that would be a big contract to the Custom

The Jazz would;d be a nice bright and modern sound that would match the bite but be a very different tone.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Full Shred neck is a great option too, have it paired with a TB-5 in my Charvel San Dimas.

Comment

Being adventurous I say a Jazz Bridge for a 24 fretter. Both Jazz pups (bridge and neck) take a lot of gain better than the 59. If you play clean and bluesier stuff I prefer the 59. The PGN does both very good.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I'm really leaning to the 59. It sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.

Comment

The 59 might not be a fancy choice, but it is one hell of a neck pickup.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Jazz, for a long D@#* time.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I wentvwith a TB-5/ PGn set in my PRS SE Custom 24 Flametop, with absolutely no regrets.
                          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Just ditch the pickup selector.

Comment

For me, a '59 would be an ideal fit with a SH-5.

Comment

Working...
                              X