• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH Set for Classic Rock?

Not too bass heavy, fir an HH Strat?

Just about given up on my P-Rails...

What amp are you playing through?

How hot does the bridge need to be?

For a juicy neck humbucker that isn't too boomy, I like the Pearly Gates at the neck.

Pearly Gates bridge is a natural partner. If you need some more heat, a Demon pairs well. If you need more, go with a Custom. If the bridge slot is too bright, get a Custom Custom.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Marshall Origin 50 tube amp.

Don't want anything particularly hot or distorted. More clean going into crunch than flat out thrash. Think mid to late 70s / early 80s British heavy metal. Clear mids and trebles and not too much bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
        What amp are you playing through?

How hot does the bridge need to be?

For a juicy neck humbucker that isn't too boomy, I like the Pearly Gates at the neck.

Pearly Gates bridge is a natural partner. If you need some more heat, a Demon pairs well. If you need more, go with a Custom. If the bridge slot is too bright, get a Custom Custom.
        Solid advice right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post

Solid advice right here.
          Thanks!

For 80's and 70's stuff, I'd go PGn and any of the bridge pickups I mentioned for thr bridge, depending on what you want to hear out of the guitar. The PGb and Demon will be cleanest, with the Demon having a bit more bass and treble than the Pearly Gates. The Custom is sort of like the Pearly Gates, but louder and with a lot more grind to the high mids with a solid attack. The CC has rolled off highs and lows with a ton of lower mids. Very warm, very buttery. It's a little loose for modern rock, but it has nice roar and crunch through a Marshall.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Sounds like a set of PGs then.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
              Sounds like a set of PGs then.

Thanks guys.
              The PG set is great in a 24.75 scale Les Paul but they are pretty bright and crunchy. Had a set in one of my 25 scale Carvin DC's and quickly went another direction. Found the PG set to be way to bright and harsh in that guitar. In a strat I wouldn't use a PG set myself. Look hard at the Saturday Night Specials for the tones you are talking. Have had 2 sets and wish i had not sold the one set with a guitar.

Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Pair of PG's would be my #1 choice. Go with an A2P bridge if you feel the PG is a bit/thin-bright.

Pair of 59's ain't a bad choice.

A Pair of Whole Lottas maybe? (Never played them, can't believe they wouldn't be great.

PG or 59 + a 59/Custom for something a little sportier.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I second the A2P set or a '59 set. I bet you'd like both.
                  Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

59 neck, JB bridge?

Comment

Slash A2Pro set.

Comment

That sounds exactly like the SNS set to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

PG or 59 + a 59/Custom for something a little sportier.
                          I have a 59n + 59/custom hybrid in a Les Paul. I love this combo. I’ll typically run it with the bridge vol down to about 8, and use that last little nudge when I want to crank it to 11.
                          depending on amp/effects it is a VERY versatile setup, and very good always.

Comment

Don't forget that adjusting the bass side of the pickup lower will help reign in the bass. And if you need more attack after doing so, you can just raise the screw pole pieces.

Comment

In a strat, I’ve been very happy with a super distortion bridge and a Fred neck. It’s hot, but not untamable.

Comment

Working...
                              X