No announcement yet.

HH Set for Classic Rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom 5 trembucker, Jazz bridge ordered.

Not a big fan of super-hot pickups.

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
      Custom 5 trembucker, Jazz bridge ordered.

Not a big fan of super-hot pickups.

Thanks for the advice guys
      That should do it! (I assume you meant Jazz neck.)?

Comment

Odd choice given the way you describe what you like and want, but you'll probably be able to make it work
        Last edited by chadd; 12-19-2021, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Custom 5 will have a big low-end.
          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I agree with some here: PGs, Saturday Night Specials or Whole Lotta Humbuckers. Look at the EQ graphs, listen to some clips and make a choice. You cant go wrong with any of those sets.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

With that set you'll be able to turn the mids up on the amp no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post

That should do it! (I assume you meant Jazz neck.)?
                Yup, long day yesterday, early Xmas at the inlaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  With that set you'll be able to turn the mids up on the amp no problem.
                  I have a Jazz neck already, which I rather like. It was in this HH body but got moved to my SG, along with a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge, after the failed experiment with the P-Rails.

The Custom 5 is a bit of a punt. If I don't like it I can take advantage of SD's exchange policy ans swap it for a 59 or a 59/Custom Hybrid, or a JB or...

The main thing here is, whether it's my strumming style or middle age hearing or a combination of both, I'm looking for less bass, somewhere in the middle mids, more treble, and moderate outputs.

Comment

Dimarzio 36ths are right in the classic rock realm. The neck is super sweet. The bridge is raunchy but not too bassy.

Probably the closest idea to them is the pearly gates set. I would thing that they would be less bright per dimarzio's MO.

Comment

the c5 might be fine, maybe not. but even if its not your cup of tea, that pup takes mag swaps as good as any ive used

Comment

From your description, I would have gone with a Jazz Model set.

Comment

Saturday Night Specials.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

IIRC Jazz doesn't come in Trembucker size.

Comment

I was going to suggest WLHs also. Love how they sound in my LPs and they are perfect for classic rock to metal.

Comment

Well, the pickups are ordered and on a big brown truck, probably somewhere in Nevada right now.

I've wired up the pickguard already. Three 500k pots and a 0.047 uF cap.

I'm using a 5-way superswitch and I think I've come up with an ingenious wiring scheme:

P1- bridge full humbucker
                                P2 - bridge south coil and neck north coil in parallel
                                P3 - both humbuckers full on
                                P4 - bridge north coil and neck south coil in parallel
                                P5 - neck full humbuckhumbucker

Each pickup has its own volume, so if it works not only do I get hum canceling in P2 and P4, with both the volumes turned up of course, but I can also chose which single coil I want to use, simply by turning the other one all the way down.

That having been said, if, and it's a big if, it works, I will probably forget which way round P2 and P4 are and just go back to full humbuckers in P1, P3 and P5, and basic coil splits in P2 and P4.

Comment

Working...
                                X