mid scoop humbucker choices....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid scoop humbucker choices....

I have a Charvel custom shop natural series, had a Custom 5 in it which I liked, but wanted to try something different. Went to a Jackson J90C, not enough dynamics, and now a JB with an alnico, which is cool but I realized why they put the custom 5 in this guitar - the roasted mahogany body really makes for a mid-rangy, dense sound and midrange focused pickups aren't the best match IMO. Now I'm thinking the custom 5 was pretty cool actually, but it's too hot for my tastes...given that, the 59 seems like the way to go, but wondering if would a be a little thin sounding compared to the custom 5.
    So think scooped pickups with low to medium output. What other options should I look at?

Between a 59 and a custom 5 you got the… Seymour Duncan TB-16 59 Custom Hybrid Pickup. My favorite bridge pickup. Have fun!

Comment

2 other medium options are the Saturday Night Special and the Screamin Demon. They won't be totally scooped since the Demon gets some mid bite from the poles and the SNS has an A4, but you can swap that out for A5.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I like the Custom with a unoriented A5 magnet. Less volume but a bit less scooped too.
        It's 7 bucks and 20 minutes investment to check it out.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a PATB-3B to me.

Comment

I agree with the Hybrid suggestions here, especially if the 59 is too tame, and the C5 is too hot.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, C/59 for the win.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I concur with both the hybrid and the demon. Both are neither hot nor mid-heavy, but are very nice sounding.

Comment

Hybrid seems like a perfect fit in this case. But you might also consider trying an A3 in your Custom5.
                  Lower output, and although it's not scooped the A3 has clarity and a more open feel.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I haven’t installed my Perpetual Burn yet, but on paper, it seems like it would be a good fit for you. Lower output than the C5 but still with a mid scoop.

Comment

59 hybrid seems its got a good amount of mids that "stick out" in a unique way, it seems when listening to the demos....I listen to it and not sure if that's my ticket. Am I wrong?

Comment

Well, we all hear differently, but I hear the Hybrid as the mashup between 2 very scooped pickups. So, the sum doesn't really add mids- at least what I hear.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm a great fan of the 59/Custom Hybrid, got one in my SG, one in my my HSS Strat and a third in my HH Strat, but the EQ graphs on the SD website don't exactly look like "scooped" mids. Especially compared to a TB-14 aka Custom5.
                          Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 02-18-2022, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                            I'm a great fan of the 59/Custom Hybrid, got one in my SG, one in my my HSS Strat and a third in my HH Strat, but the EQ graphs on the SD website don't exactly look like "scooped" mids. Especially compared to a TB-14 aka Custom5.
                            I always take those graphs with a pinch of salt. Particularly “mids” since low and high mids are put into “mids” or bass/treble depending on the person.

Comment

Yeah the custom hybrid shows 6/8/8 on the tone chart. I hear the mids there for sure, although it seems at a certain notch that's its own thing. I don't know if I care for it in the demo videos, but you never know in your own guitar.
                              Still leaning towards the custom 5, although I wish I could lower the output. Yeah, lower the pickup height but I always find that to take away the attack and immediacy you get with a pickup closer to the strings.

If I threw in an unoriented A5 magnet maybe that would reduce the output, but would it also change the tone significantly?
                              Last edited by SF audio; 02-18-2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X