No announcement yet.

mid scoop humbucker choices....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it would change the tone a bit for sure, little less output, little softer top end and not quite as scooped sounding but still a5 tonality for sure

Comment

A3 is similar to UOA5 and will lower the output further.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        A3 is similar to UOA5 and will lower the output further.
        No A6 recommendation this time, uh?

Comment

L500L

Comment

Unfortunately all the graphs and suggestions and online demos aren't really going to give you a clear answer until it's installed, of course. I think the 59 Custom Hybrid is a decent choice because while it's not a super mid-scooped pickup, I've found it to be responsive in a good way in guitars that tend to be a bit naturally midrange-y already. Custom 5 is the more obvious choice here as you have noted, but I don't know about changing the magnete like you mentioned.....there's definitely going to be some noticeable changes in the tone and whether or not the result of that's going to be pleasing for you remains to be seen. Aside from that, my next choice would in fact be checking out the 59, as that will have the less pronounced mids as well as having less output than the C5, and shouldn't need to be backed off height-wise and retain it's dynamics.

Comment

Regarding the 59 bridge, you think it will have enough beef in the charvel? It's a roasted mahogany body, really feels sense and heavy. My concern about the 59 is that it might be too vintage sounding and not quite enough oomph for soaring type leads. I know the custom 5 can do this however as I mentioned its a bit too hot. I wonder if I could get a custom shop version with around 12k resistance?

Comment

Originally posted by SF audio View Post
                Yeah the custom hybrid shows 6/8/8 on the tone chart. I hear the mids there for sure, although it seems at a certain notch that's its own thing. I don't know if I care for it in the demo videos, but you never know in your own guitar.
                Still leaning towards the custom 5, although I wish I could lower the output. Yeah, lower the pickup height but I always find that to take away the attack and immediacy you get with a pickup closer to the strings.

If I threw in an unoriented A5 magnet maybe that would reduce the output, but would it also change the tone significantly?

Thats the great thing on UOA5 magents. It has the same ingrediences, but its cooked a little different literally. Its a real A5 magnet, but a bit milder like a combo between A5 and A2.

I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I agree with the Hybrid suggestions here, especially if the 59 is too tame, and the C5 is too hot.
                  This
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The C/59 hybrid doesn't sound like it's got much in the mids to me. The demo on the website is a little misleading. And it definitely doesn't have 6/8/8. I'd probably rate it a 5/5/8 or 6/5/8. But that's just my ear.

The Demon is a good suggestion but it's not what I'd call "mid-scooped". It has a very even sounding tonal spectrum to me. A very good sounding pup (I've got it in the neck of a few of my guitars) and not quite as high output as the 10k would imply.

Depending on how middy your guitar sounds the Demon may not be right for you, as much as I like it. I still think that the C/59 is the perfect choice for your guitar.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Regarding the 59 hybrid, I hear a certain midrange notch in this demo video. Start at 2:56 for the heavier guitar sound which I'm going to be doing mostly with the Charvel:

The ’59/Custom Hybrid is a medium output humbucker pickup that sparkles with upper midrange harmonic content and grit. The brainchild of our incredibly knowl...

Do most of you have this sound in your guitars? I know it can be different in other guitars, but if this is the sound honestly I'm not big on it. Its like someone boosted an EQ at that frequency. Is this the result of having two different pickup coils and some sort of comb filtering effect? It doesn't sound much like a 59 or Custom 5. Maybe this video isn't be best representation of this pickup? But its a SD video....

Clue me in here if I'm not getting something!

Thanks

Comment

Regarding the 59 hybrid, I hear a certain midrange notch in this demo video. Start at 2:56 for the heavier guitar sound which I'm going to be doing mostly with the Charvel:

The ’59/Custom Hybrid is a medium output humbucker pickup that sparkles with upper midrange harmonic content and grit. The brainchild of our incredibly knowl...

Do most of you have this sound in your guitars? I know it can be different in other guitars, but if this is the sound honestly I'm not big on it. Its like someone boosted an EQ at that frequency. Is this the result of having two different pickup coils and some sort of comb filtering effect? It doesn't sound much like a 59 or Custom 5. Maybe this video isn't be best representation of this pickup? But its a SD video....

Clue me in here if I'm not getting something!

Thanks
                        I'd say his amp has more to do with that tone than the pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

No A6 recommendation this time, uh?
                          I guess not. :P
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Trying to find another demo of the hybrid that's really good...most are just metal stuff which I have no interest in.

Comment

Regarding the 59 bridge, you think it will have enough beef in the charvel? It's a roasted mahogany body, really feels sense and heavy. My concern about the 59 is that it might be too vintage sounding and not quite enough oomph for soaring type leads. I know the custom 5 can do this however as I mentioned its a bit too hot. I wonder if I could get a custom shop version with around 12k resistance?
                              You might take a look at the Perpetual Burn as mentioned upthread. At 13K, it's a lot like an underwound Custom 5.
                              Rich enough to soar with gain yet open enough to clean up pretty nicely, and well-defined in lower gain situations too.

I still think it's worth trying an A3 in your Custom 5 though. Less pushed and more vintagey, kinda like a strong PAF.
                              Not scooped per se, but gentler and less fat. After all, the right flavor of midrange makes lead lines take off and fly...
                              Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 02-20-2022, 08:19 PM.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
                                I haven’t installed my Perpetual Burn yet, but on paper, it seems like it would be a good fit for you. Lower output than the C5 but still with a mid scoop.
                                Yep the Perpetual Burn is my suggestion also. The Hybrid is absolutely NOT scooped and even though it on paper is not as hot as the Custom 5 to me feels much hotter in reality because of it's explosive mids.
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X