Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on GFS pickups.

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Their active pickups are excellent and vastly underrated. Their passive pickups are hit or miss.

Comment

I have put the GFS VEH pickups in two guitars for different folks and both times they sounded fantastic.

Comment

Good value.

Comment

Great value for simple winds... P90, strat, tele etc
          What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I have put the GFS VEH pickups in two guitars for different folks and both times they sounded fantastic.
            I have one in the neck of an Epiphone Special, it sounds really nice. Same with the Mean 90 in the bridge of a 339, it compliments the Dr Vintage neck really well. Nothing at all like the HD Z90 in my Hamer, but it's a great pickup and does what it does well.

Overall, I've had good experiences with GFS, but I've been careful to only order models I've read great things about. Some models get crappy reviews.

The Jimi strat pickup sounds good to me as well. But I'm not a Strat guy, and my frame of reference is smaller than it is for Gibson style PUs.

Comment

I've only tried two models: The Dream 180, which I love in my single-bridge Peavey Rockmaster, and a pair of Dream 90's in my Iceman, which I also love.

Comment

I love the Dream 90 and Dream 180, and also the Mean 90 for a fuller P90 tone.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have a set of the Rails humbuckers. I like them. Had a PAF/hot PAF set in an Epiphone Les Paul, liked those too.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Had a Dream 180 in a J&D Jazzmaster; i think it sounded quite nice! Good price, nice quality, would def. try more models!
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

+1 on the VEH bridge humbucker.
                      I liked the Surf 90s too, but they are their own thing - not a P90 variant despite the name.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I might install the "surface mount" single coil; on the top of my Epi Koa Wildkat;

if I can find a way; that's either reversible- or 100% nice.

The only thing the guitar lacks, for me- is a middle pickup- (in my case, mounted right by the bridge PU), for series/parallell sounds. .

in theory; it would work very well. Just need to test it out with a temporary mount; before drilling any holes. (also; I have a serious tendency, to procrastinate things like this; for ...decades.)

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          I love the Dream 90 and Dream 180, and also the Mean 90 for a fuller P90 tone.
                          I've wondered if the Mean 90 might be a better fit, (tonal wise), for my Iceman. The Dream 90's are nice, but maybe a bit too tame for the character of the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I've wondered if the Mean 90 might be a better fit, (tonal wise), for my Iceman. The Dream 90's are nice, but maybe a bit too tame for the character of the guitar.
                            The Mean 90 has more output and definitely has more mids. But the highs don't sound as aggressive to me as the dream 90's, but I had all of my Mean 90's in LPs so that may have made a big difference. But the Mean 90 has much more mids if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                              +1 on the VEH bridge humbucker.
                              I liked the Surf 90s too, but they are their own thing - not a P90 variant despite the name.
                              Agree. I have a pair of Surf 90's in a 12 string I made and they are certainly "surf" sounding but I don't really hear any P-90 in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X