No announcement yet.

Thoughts on GFS pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case anyone is wondering, this is what a Mean 90 looks like without its cover.

Every cubic nanometer of space in the cover not occupied by the pickup was wax. I thought I had a pic from before I flaked most of it off, but I guess not.

Comment

whoa! :o

I thought the bobbins, coil and the PICKUP would be bigger; like-. fill the cover. :/

(they need to make that model. "Earls Revenge")

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

The only GFS pups I have any experience with is the Mean 90 which I understand is a humbucker sized P90'

I fitted them into an archtop and thought they had a great usable sound. This was some years ago. Some years later the owner swapped them out for a set of Irongear HBs with some push pulls but then put the Mean 90s into a chinese made Telecaster thinline type where they also excelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
          whoa! :o

I thought the bobbins, coil and the PICKUP would be bigger; like-. fill the cover. :/

(they need to make that model. "Earls Revenge")
          It's quite a bit wider than a strat / single HB coil, those first two pics may make it look smaller. I can measure it the next time I'm at my dad's, where most of my spare parts & gear are.

The workmanship is a notch below a typical USA made pickup, but sound-wise it's right there with major manufacturer pickups.

I've had great luck with GFS products in general, the only exception being an XTrem vibrato bridge which was kind of crappy. From what I've read here and on other forums, their pickups can be hit and miss in general.

Comment

Most of the GFS pups I've tried (probably over a dozen different ones) have been very good...not too "hit-and-miss".
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X