2 Simple Questions - screamin demons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Simple Questions - screamin demons

Greetings, I've been a long time Dimarzio player and recently bought my first Les Paul Standard after about 20+ years of yearning. I always loved the deep mellow warm sound of a high gain saturated les paul lead tone, like the sound in Opeth's song "Ending Credits."

To provide some baseline, I've been a big fan of Dimarzio Paf Pros in most of my guitars but it seems somewhat blasphemous to put Dimarzios in a Les Paul and I've been itching to try some Ducans again. I had a JB/Jazz in my Jackson KE-2 some years back but I've got a different set up now and don't really remember much about them because I was to preoccupied with changing them to Paf Pros anyways.

Fast forward - I am onto the Screamin' Demons...I feel like it could be the Duncan equivalent of the Paf Pro, with the midrange and overwound paf, medium output style that can accept and handle gain well. I realize some people don't like them, but I'm not here to play bone crunching metal, I'm all about the lead sound and I've found medium output seems to be the sweet spot, for me at least.

1st question - is the demon bridge the same one I am going to try in the neck or is there a specific neck version?

2nd question - I have LP 50's Standard and it seems the consensus is that if going with nickel covers the standard spacing will line up, if going with coils trembucker is needed for bridge. Just how off are they with a standard spaced Duncan in the bridge? When I measure from E to E string, it's slightly over 50mm, seems hardly enough to go with a trembucker. For what it's worth the stock nickel covers line up but in different spots on the pole pieces. I know there's a negligable difference in sound, but I just want to know once and for all, which bridge humbucker do I get for coil look on a LP?

Kindly don't hi-jack, derail or otherwise pollute the conversation with other pick-up recommendations.

Demon: There is not a neck version of the Demon. A lot of guys dig them in the neck of an LP.

I don't think you will get the same experience with the Demon as a PAF Pro though. I have owned bot, and currently have a Demon (played it out last night). I think a JB will be more in the PAF Pro zone that a Demon.

The Demon is really like a PAF really tilted to the treble sound.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Demon: There is not a neck version of the Demon. A lot of guys dig them in the neck of an LP.

I don't think you will get the same experience with the Demon as a PAF Pro though. I have owned bot, and currently have a Demon (played it out last night). I think a JB will be more in the PAF Pro zone that a Demon.

The Demon is really like a PAF really tilted to the treble sound.
      I got scared straight on treble with my 1987xl plexi and soldano and strat with hs-3, but now I'm playing LP in a DR Z jetta with some drive boxes and the treble is much contained so I need not be afraid of treble anymore. If the highs are fat and rounded, I'm down.

Comment

If you like the output and feel of the PAF Pro, you'll probably appreciate the Demon. However, they are voiced quite differently. The Demon is slightly scooped with a thumpy bottom and a bright top end that can get a bit thin in some guitars, but it's still one of my favorite Duncans in the right guitar. It takes on a warmer quality in the neck, but still really clear. There is no specific "neck" version, as Aceman said

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          If you like the output and feel of the PAF Pro, you'll probably appreciate the Demon. However, they are voiced quite differently. The Demon is slightly scooped with a thumpy bottom and a bright top end that can get a bit thin in some guitars, but it's still one of my favorite Duncans in the right guitar. It takes on a warmer quality in the neck, but still really clear. There is no specific "neck" version, as Aceman said
          Okay, that's great, I feel like we're getting somewhere. Now what about the spacing for the bridge if I want coils instead of nickel covers?

Comment

The ideal pole piece spacing doesn't change whether you have covers or not, but I think the angle you're taking refers to what fits in your stock trim rings. The Trembucker bobbins are wider than a regular humbucker, so when you add a cover to a humbucker, it won't fit in some guitars, even if the uncovered version will

Comment

Most Gibsons actually have a trem-spaced bridge spacing. To be sure on your guitar, just measure the E-to-E string spacing above where the pole pieces are

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                The ideal pole piece spacing doesn't change whether you have covers or not, but I think the angle you're taking refers to what fits in your stock trim rings. The Trembucker bobbins are wider than a regular humbucker, so when you add a cover to a humbucker, it won't fit in some guitars, even if the uncovered version will
                I am not partial to keeping the nickel covers. I will go zebra coil most likely. I just want to know what spacing bridge to get if I go zebra. Do I get trembucker or standard spaced? How do the pole pieces line up on a 50's standard LP. My extensive internet research has ended up inconclusive due to hi-jacked threads and further pick-up suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by slyfox View Post
                  Greetings, I've been a long time Dimarzio player and recently bought my first Les Paul Standard after about 20+ years of yearning. I always loved the deep mellow warm sound of a high gain saturated les paul lead tone, like the sound in Opeth's song "Ending Credits."

To provide some baseline, I've been a big fan of Dimarzio Paf Pros in most of my guitars but it seems somewhat blasphemous to put Dimarzios in a Les Paul and I've been itching to try some Ducans again.
                  When you say something like that, it makes me think you aren't a rational actor. IOW, you are only looking for the advice you already want to hear.

There is no reason that putting Dimarzios into a Les Paul is blasphemous. That doesnt make any sense. Super Distortion and PAF are both Dimarzios.

I had a JB/Jazz in my Jackson KE-2 some years back but I've got a different set up now and don't really remember much about them because I was to preoccupied with changing them to Paf Pros anyways.

Fast forward - I am onto the Screamin' Demons...I feel like it could be the Duncan equivalent of the Paf Pro, with the midrange and overwound paf, medium output style that can accept and handle gain well. I realize some people don't like them, but I'm not here to play bone crunching metal, I'm all about the lead sound and I've found medium output seems to be the sweet spot, for me at least.
                  From everything I have read, the Screamin Demon is Duncan's equivalent to the Fred. You say you love Dimarzios, you should consider the Fred/PAF Pro combination. If you love the Fred, chances are good you will love the demon. You hate the Fred, you will probably hate the Demon. Haven't tried a Fred? Its classic and covers alot of range. But you want to buy a Duncan. So if you love the Fred and don't have one in your parts box, buy a Demon.

So what I'm on about.. is if you tried both a Fred and PAF Pro, and chose the PAF Pro over the Fred, chances are you won't like the Demon as much as the PAF Pro.

Kindly don't hi-jack, derail or otherwise pollute the conversation with other pick-up recommendations.
                  I already had my recommendation in mind and then I get to the last line here. Should have put that first in your post, so people would not get suckered into investing time trying to help. Also, confirms my first point,you dont want advice, you just want what you want.
                  Last edited by Top-L; 04-03-2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Right, I want to go demon neck and bridge. I've been reading enough posts about why people think it sucks and why people like it and think it's awesome. Without hearing how these people play, what amp, guitars and pedals they use, I've ascertained that I think I would be of the Pro demon family. For a small investment, I'm willing to try it. Duncans always seemed to have a lot of electricity running through them and I want to try a pair for myself in my new Les Paul.

Comment

Once again, I just wanted to know if search ebay for screamin demon, do I need to specify neck or bridge. So my first question is answered. My second one is still up in the air with the spacing. I might have to simply buy 1 screaming demon standard spacing, see how it fits in the bridge and if I like it, then move it to the neck and buy a second one for the bridge unless I can receive a concrete answer on the seymour duncan forum.

Comment

The answer is on the SD website, under the Trembuckers vs Humbuckers section. In short, you need to measure the string spacing at the bridge pickup location.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...vs-trembuckers
                        Last edited by JamesPaul; 04-03-2022, 03:41 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammar guesser put an extra word in
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Putting an A8 magnet in a bridge demon really helps it pair with another stock demon in the neck

Comment

Since it is Gibson spaced, my vote is go trembucker spaced. Even if you dont, it may only be an aesthetics issue, but may not. Id say if yoyr string spacing is wider than 50mm, go trem spaced

Higher output pickups you can get away with a standard spaced pu in place of a trembucker, medium output Im not sure. In lower output you would prob experience some string loss when bending.

I have a Distortion, standard spaced, in my Iceman which is trem spaced, same as Gibson, I dont even notice it unless I really look at the pickup to string alignment.

This is just my opinion, others may come along and say opposite. Thats fine too as I have very little experience A) with a Demon, didnt like the one I had years ago and B) installing/using med output pus.
                            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400
                            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

One thing to consider if you plan to put one in the neck as well, the screw coil will be closer to the bridge, opposite a normal "neck" humbucker, some may prefer to flip it around in which case you will change the orientation of the logo and the zebra coils. If you plan to flip it you may want to get one without a logo or remove it. Personally I prefer how it sounds in the neck position "un-flipped with the screws farther from the neck, if you plan zebra coils they will both be in the same direction like an EVH Wolfgang, depending upon whether you plan to install the neck flipped around and how you prefer the zebra coils to be aligned you may need a reverse zebra for the neck.
                              Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                              Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                              Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                              Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Working...
                              X