Hot singles in your area ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
    And there is this one I have yet to try...

Click image for larger version

Name:	510yKnYL20L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	6168115
    I have the older one of those, but it's labeled as a neck version. Measures 9.82K

Comment

quarter pound is quite a heavy sound and i like how it‘s not just more mids like so many hot single coils.
      another single coil that has a real heavy sound is the BKP cobra. that one can definitely cover metal territory

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
        And there is this one I have yet to try...

Click image for larger version

Name:	510yKnYL20L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	6168115
        That's the Lil Demon, right? Some have said they love that one.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The Red Devil is also a hotter single-coil size, though it sounds more like a humbucker than a single coil.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yep. the red devil is a cool pup for sure but sounds very much like a bucker. the bridge red devil is especially tasty

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I am in the same boat but not by choice.

I bought a loaded Warmoth body with an OFR, and unfortunately it is an SSS route. Currently has Lindy Fralin Woodstock 69 pickups that it came with. They sound good for a classic strat, but I'd really like to have something more metal in this guitar.

For heat I have one axe I built with TexMex pickups. I really like those with gain.

I was thinking of going noiseless, but I'm curious to find out if you find something to make you happy.
              I'm very happy with the Quarter pound and I can certainly recommend it!

I'm now looking for a 2nd pickup that is in the same vein but maybe a slightly different sound, to try on my other Stratocaster. We've got a lot of cool replies here (thanks all), and I especially like the idea of trying a Stra-Bro 90. I don't gel well with ceramic magnets in the bridge, so I'd have to have it made all alnico. Or Maybe a Red Devil, as it does seem rather tasty.. however looking to stick to true single coils for this project. I honestly don't know if I'll find something I like better than the Quarter pounder.

I have half a mind to have the custom shop build me a set, with the bridge slightly overwound (say14k), and then 8k middle and 9.5k neck. Perhaps a ceramic mag in the neck, depending if the CS thinks it'll sound cool or not. maybe even a custom color. I think the pickup I'm truly looking for is just going to be a custom Quarter pound.

I will say though, in my google fu, I found a custom shop quarter pound HUMBUCKER and it looks rad. I'm very curious what that sounds like.
              Last edited by BeKindRewind; 04-25-2022, 05:13 PM.

Comment

The Hot Strat is a different tone than the QP...it 'feels' different, too. Not as P90-ish really.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  The Hot Strat is a different tone than the QP...it 'feels' different, too. Not as P90-ish really.
                  Thanks I went back and listened to more clips of that one and I think it's the one actually.

So on this Stratocaster I'm gonna do SSL-3 for the bridge and try quarter pound for the neck. If I don't like it then I can switch them and try that, because I already know I like the QP. Not sure about middle yet, I love the SSL1 , but that's what my other guitar has. I might try a 5-2 or something like that for the middle.

Comment

While the Five Two will be weaker than the other 2, it would be a good choice if you use the middle pickup by itself a lot, and want a more vintage tone and output there.

Comment

My Lonestar has Texas Specials and they are "hotter" or seem hotter than a vintage single, but I don't know how hot. I like them though.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i don't have any opinion on the original post, but I do want to point out that the title is clever, and I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                        X