Where's The Beef??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's The Beef??

Howdy gang. Looking for some recommendations. I have a thin ash bodied guitar, and every humbucker I've tried in the bridge sounds pretty shrill, with very little bottom end. I know the body doesn't help matters, but hoping for some help from you folks. It was suggested to me to try a Custom Custom, but was hoping for some other ideas. I enjoy a high gain chunky tone (a la muted metal sound). I needs mah beef!!
    TIA

Hard to beat the Perpetual Burn. Punchy, crunchy and not too bright. It's one of my new favs.

And welcome to the forum/

Comment

I'd consider the PATB-1. It's got a very full tone throughout, and you get sustain forever. On paper, I think a PATB-2 might be a better fit, but I can't recommend that, as I haven't played one.

Comment

Tone Zone
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Air Zone? It's beefy in everything I've tried. There's only so much you can do to overcome the natural sound of the guitar, though. Bigger strings, thicker picks, EQ pedal all help.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

OK for reference, when I was 8 years old, (1976) I got a 1965 Fender Mustang for Christmas. When I was a teen, I made the terrible mistake of hot rodding the crap out of it. So I had a Kahler trem flush mounted, and a humbucker in the bridge, and single in the neck. As stated, this one is the ash body, with a 22 fret maple one piece neck. I tried a Fury ZP20 to try to get as much power out of the humbucker (reads out at 19.5k ohms). Powerful, but way too shrill. I also tried an old Bill Lawrence XL500L (reads at 7.5k ohms). Also very shrill. I really want to tame the highs and add some beef in the bottom. It's a sweet little guitar that I'll never get rid of, mostly due to sentimental reasons, but I want it to still be functional. I've switched out all my other guitars to EMG 85's, or Blackouts. (Tried to upload a photo, but files size is too large)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Hard to beat the Perpetual Burn. Punchy, crunchy and not too bright. It's one of my new favs.

And welcome to the forum/
              Thanks for the kind welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                Air Zone? It's beefy in everything I've tried. There's only so much you can do to overcome the natural sound of the guitar, though. Bigger strings, thicker picks, EQ pedal all help.
                I understand the size and wood of this guitar limits what I can get out of it tonally. Because of the small stature of this guitar, I can't really put too heavy a string on it. I do use Cobalt Slinky's on it, and 2mm Delron picks (use on everything). Flush mounted the Kahler to try and get some sustain and resonance.

Comment

The Invader is another plenty beefy pu, like a wild yak. It's voiced to emphasize lows and mids more, which may help with the shrillness problem you're having.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                    The Invader is another plenty beefy pu, like a wild yak. It's voiced to emphasize lows and mids more, which may help with the shrillness problem you're having.
                    Never heard an Invader I liked. But thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I’m thinking a JB could work well.
                      or a dimarzio super distortion? I have that in the bridge of an ash strat with a maple neck and floyd. It has a nice sounding high end, but good beefy lows and mids. Very well-rounded sound.
                      Or a super 3 if you need some more added low-end definition.

Comment

I'd go Black Winter. Certainly not shrill, and much tighter for metal than the CC.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbasser View Post
                          OK for reference, when I was 8 years old, (1976) I got a 1965 Fender Mustang for Christmas. When I was a teen, I made the terrible mistake of hot rodding the crap out of it. So I had a Kahler trem flush mounted, and a humbucker in the bridge, and single in the neck. As stated, this one is the ash body, with a 22 fret maple one piece neck. I tried a Fury ZP20 to try to get as much power out of the humbucker (reads out at 19.5k ohms). Powerful, but way too shrill. I also tried an old Bill Lawrence XL500L (reads at 7.5k ohms). Also very shrill. I really want to tame the highs and add some beef in the bottom. It's a sweet little guitar that I'll never get rid of, mostly due to sentimental reasons, but I want it to still be functional. I've switched out all my other guitars to EMG 85's, or Blackouts. (Tried to upload a photo, but files size is too large)
                          Do you have a Kahler cam system, or one of their vintage of Floyd bridges? If you have a cam system, does it have steel cam and rollers? If that's the case, you can knock off a ton of brightness by swapping to a set of brass rollers. I have a Kahler cam system on one of my Charvels, and I've tried every combination of steel and brass on it as those were the parts I had on hand. With steel cam & rollers, the only bridge pickup I liked in it was an Invader as it was shrieking bright with pretty much everything else. With brass cam & rollers the Invader was muddy, but most other pickups sounded decent. I currently have it set up brass / brass with a Custom Custom, but I'm going for a tone somewhere between EVH & Jerry Cantrell. I've previously had a Full Shred, JB, & Custom 5 in there and all were usable though the Custom 5 was a bit bright, thin, and scooped.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

Do you have a Kahler cam system, or one of their vintage of Floyd bridges? If you have a cam system, does it have steel cam and rollers? If that's the case, you can knock off a ton of brightness by swapping to a set of brass rollers. I have a Kahler cam system on one of my Charvels, and I've tried every combination of steel and brass on it as those were the parts I had on hand. With steel cam & rollers, the only bridge pickup I liked in it was an Invader as it was shrieking bright with pretty much everything else. With brass cam & rollers the Invader was muddy, but most other pickups sounded decent. I currently have it set up brass / brass with a Custom Custom, but I'm going for a tone somewhere between EVH & Jerry Cantrell. I've previously had a Full Shred, JB, & Custom 5 in there and all were usable though the Custom 5 was a bit bright, thin, and scooped.
                            It's a steel cam, and I just replaced the brass rollers. (The old ones actually had grooves worn in to them, and they didn't always roll.) The Kahler is actually inset in to the body, to try to get more resonance and sustain. I wish I could upload a picture, but they are all too large a file. And there's nothing wrong with getting a Jerry Cantrell sound.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              Tone Zone
                              This is the pickup that ibanez puts in all kinds of mid/high range guitars. Its thick.

Comment

Working...
                              X