No announcement yet.

Where's The Beef??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have concluded that I have a 150k pot, and it has dead spots. So I will replace the pot and let you know how I make out.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbasser View Post

I have a Line 6 Spidervalve Bogner HD100 MKII head in to a 4x12 with vintage Altec Series II speakers. I can guarantee it's not the amp tho. All my other guitars sound fantastic thru it.
      Finally, someone else with some love for this amp!

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Finally, someone else with some love for this amp!

It's an amazing amp! I've downloaded a **** tonne of patches, so It's basically every amp in one. I have all the Boogies, Soldanos, 5150s. And the tube side is super strong and really loud!! I had the combo, and liked it so much, I got the 100 watt head.

Comment

It's an amazing amp! I've downloaded a **** tonne of patches, so It's basically every amp in one. I have all the Boogies, Soldanos, 5150s. And the tube side is super strong and really loud!! I had the combo, and liked it so much, I got the 100 watt head.
          I picked up one 5 or 6 years ago used for short money. Should have bought the Ampeg 4x12 that was being sold with it, but I already had an old Carvin 4x12, so I didn't really need it. I've never downloaded anything but it already has more options than I could ever use.
          And I've often been tempted to run a few AITB or preamp pedals straight into the tube power section.
          Oh, and even with just a 4x12, it can get ungodly loud without farting out.
          We'll have to start another thread about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I picked up one 5 or 6 years ago used for short money. Should have bought the Ampeg 4x12 that was being sold with it, but I already had an old Carvin 4x12, so I didn't really need it. I've never downloaded anything but it already has more options than I could ever use.
            And I've often been tempted to run a few AITB or preamp pedals straight into the tube power section.
            Oh, and even with just a 4x12, it can get ungodly loud without farting out.
            We'll have to start another thread about them.

The premade patches are hit and miss, but there are some great ones available. You wanna sound like Zakk Wilde? Boom. Warren DiMartini? Bingo. EVH? Done. Plus all the amp sims too. Paired with my Altecs, it's a really great rig.

Comment

The premade patches are hit and miss, but there are some great ones available. You wanna sound like Zakk Wilde? Boom. Warren DiMartini? Bingo. EVH? Done. Plus all the amp sims too. Paired with my Altecs, it's a really great rig.
              Mine's paired with the despised 12M-70's. And I love it. One of my favorite sounds is the amber Twang setting with a Metalzone clone distortion and slapback (I think) reverb. With the noise gate active.
              Freaking heavy

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

So you don't find ceramics to lend a "faster", or should say crisper bass response? I find most alnico-based pickups to lag a bit on the lows unless it's a somewhat neutered wind. Full Shred is a great pickup but I wouldn't say it's good for beefing the lows.

Personally I would go with a super2 in the neck if I wanted that much heat there.
                Faster..or slower...speed has never come into my description of pickup. Hotter pickups are more compressed, lower output pickups are looser or more open.

I think maybe you mean a pickup has a tight bass, meaning generally higher output. There are some hot a5 pickups with tight bass so I don't think its a ceramic thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Faster..or slower...speed has never come into my description of pickup. Hotter pickups are more compressed, lower output pickups are looser or more open.

I think maybe you mean a pickup has a tight bass, meaning generally higher output. There are some hot a5 pickups with tight bass so I don't think its a ceramic thing.
                  Tight bass fast bass crisp bass, whatever you want to call it. I like many of the hotter a5 pickups too, but for being both big in the bass and articulate at the same time I've always found ceramics to do it a bit better.

The a5 pickups that are big in the lows/beefy also tend to have more bloom/sag/lag/shwag, whatever you want to call it. I don't dislike them at all, but for tighter technical riffing styles with a big strong bass punch I would always looks at the ceramic based high-output models first and foremost, and not only those wound hot, but also those that are high output with low to moderate dcr.

Now for doom, sludge, or even more classic metal, I would usually go with a thick-toned hot a5 model like a TZ or A-pig, even a JB in some cases. Of course it always depends to some degree what the specific guitar is giving you to work with.
                  Last edited by dave74; 05-09-2022, 02:13 AM.

Comment

The Custom Custom is warm but doesn't have a tight low end for chugging.

Check out an Invader, Dimarzio Crunch Lab or Tone Zone. For more modern tones, I'd go with the Crunch Lab out of those 3.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I remember the details now. The guitar in question, my LTD M400 is a single volume pot guitar. All my other guitars have had a tone control. Usually 500K + 500K.

The absence of tone control made guitar really bright in a way I wasn't accustomed to. Asked around and a 250K vol control is similar treble bleed as typical 500K+500K setup. Now it sounds similar to my other guitars.

The point is that the potentiometer values can make a big difference. You need to know what youre dealing with. If no pickup sounds correct, then it may be because of the pots. For all you know, it is wired with 1000K+1000K pots, or has one of the tone pots that disconnects from the circuit when its on full.
                      Went down to my local music shop and picked up a new 250k volume pot, soldered it in, and voila!! It's like a new guitar!! When I tested the old one, it had dead spots, and when maxed, dropped considerably in resistance. To be fair, it's been in the guitar for over 30 years, so I guess it's had it day. Thanks for the suggestion, Top L, and also for all your suggestions on pick ups!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

So you don't find ceramics to lend a "faster", or should say crisper bass response? I find most alnico-based pickups to lag a bit on the lows unless it's a somewhat neutered wind. Full Shred is a great pickup but I wouldn't say it's good for beefing the lows.
                        Diminishing returns for me. I find a noticable difference in alnico 2 vs alnico 5 for precise & immediate articulation. I find hardly any difference in alnico 5 and ceramic for precise & immediate articulation. But that's mostly for the same pickup with magnet swaps. Nearly every alnico 5 pickup I've used has been pretty dang crunchy when needed, though.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                        X