Whole Lotta Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Lotta Humbucker

So, just how good is this set? Who’s using them? What are your experiences?

I had the set in my SG for over a year with the full 6-switch Jimmy Page wiring. It was a great set. Like an improved 59 / Pearly Gates set. Had more heat, smoother top end. Neck was very even sounding with a touch of mid-thickness or warmth. Split and split out of phase/series was very Fender-like, kind of Dire Straits/Sultans sound.

Comment

That set sounded amazing in an LP and Explorer (well, LTD Explorer-alike). If you like PAF-type tones that are a little hotter, it is a great set. Seems to excel in Plexi and JCM800-type Marshalls.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        I had the set in my SG for over a year with the full 6-switch Jimmy Page wiring. It was a great set. Like an improved 59 / Pearly Gates set. Had more heat, smoother top end. Neck was very even sounding with a touch of mid-thickness or warmth. Split and split out of phase/series was very Fender-like, kind of Dire Straits/Sultans sound.

I’ve got a variation of the Jimmy Page wiring in my Les Paul Custom. Triple Shots with volume Push/Pulls. How did your switches work?

Comment

Originally posted by Frater106 View Post

I’ve got a variation of the Jimmy Page wiring in my Les Paul Custom. Triple Shots with volume Push/Pulls. How did your switches work?
          Volumes up for parallel, down for humbucker, bridge tone flipped the phase, neck tone put both pickups in series to each other. The two switches on the pickguard split to slug coils independently and overrode the volume switches, so you could go from humbucker to single coil, or from parallel coils to single coil. It did have the well-known issue of when pickups are in series the 3-way only half worked.

Comment

I had the WLH set in a Les Paul for a year or so. In the end, I found the set kinda bland. Not that they were bad, just a little lacking in personality. I liked the Alnico 2 Pro Slash set that replaced them much better. I usually like A2 magnet pickups better anyway, so take that for what it is worth.

Comment

I like the '59 set much better as far as PAF's go, personally.

The '59B has a bigger and firmer bass. It's also got more top end spank and definition.

It's also not much lower output at all.

Comment

Does anybody have any experience with these playing through Mesa/ Boogies? I'm thinking Recto (Road King) Stiletto, Mark IV'ish.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                  Does anybody have any experience with these playing through Mesa/ Boogies? I'm thinking Recto (Road King) Stiletto, Mark IV'ish.
                  Neve played them through a Boogie. I have played mine through everything else with great results. My Carvin X100B, JCM 2000 DSL, JC 120, Fender Quad they even sound glorious through my little Fender Excelsior. I would expect similar great results through a Boogie.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                    I do, but my Dual Rect was a Blue Angel, so it is unlikely to provide the info you need.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've got a pair of WLHs in my SG, but TBH I really haven't had the time to give then a proper try-out

SNSs might be another option.

Comment

I just put the bridge model in my Les Paul, and I couldn’t be happier with it. After a couple of weeks still being in love, I bought a neck model to pair with it. I’ve never had better tones.

Comment

Correction. The SG has a 59/Custom and a Jazz.

The WLHs went in my recently acquired Epi LP., replacing the somewhat humdrum Alnico2 originals.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20220414_153247.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	6182629

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                            I just put the bridge model in my Les Paul, and I couldn’t be happier with it. After a couple of weeks still being in love, I bought a neck model to pair with it. I’ve never had better tones.
                            Everyone usually focuses on the WLH bridge but the neck is an amazing pickup also. There is a really nice bloom to the notes and it sounds very full. I think it is one of the most balanced complementary sets I have ever played.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Neve played them through a Boogie. I have played mine through everything else with great results. My Carvin X100B, JCM 2000 DSL, JC 120, Fender Quad they even sound glorious through my little Fender Excelsior. I would expect similar great results through a Boogie.
                              Awesome, thank you. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if they were completely amazing through a Boogie. Thanks man!!
                              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Working...
                              X