Pickups for an Epiphone Flying V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
    The 57 Classic (or Classic 57) pickups are Alnico2, same as the pickups it's coming with. The Gibson versions are 7.5 kohm or thereabouts IIRC.

The SNSs are Alnico4 and 7.9 kohm (neck) and 9.75 kohm (bridge).

The Dean Lights Out are ceramic, and about 12k ohm.

I'm not sure the 57s will be "different enough", and I'm planning on putting a set of the Deans in another V I'm working on, so I guess it'll be the SNSs.
    I stand by what I said about the SNS, but one thing to consider about the Gibson pickups is that they also have the 57 Classic Plus bridge pickup, which is basically a regular 57 Classic but the output is a little higher (usually somewhere in the ballpark of 8.1k to 8.3k, instead of somewhere between 7.5k to 7.8k), and it is a pretty killer pickup in its own right. But if you’re really trying to go for something completely different than the stock pickups, then the SNS set is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I put a Seth Lover set in a black limba body Warmoth, and it is fantastic.
      When in doubt go with Seth Lovers (especially when you don't have at least one guitar with them yet).

Comment

Originally posted by RobJGolde View Post

I stand by what I said about the SNS, but one thing to consider about the Gibson pickups is that they also have the 57 Classic Plus bridge pickup, which is basically a regular 57 Classic but the output is a little higher (usually somewhere in the ballpark of 8.1k to 8.3k, instead of somewhere between 7.5k to 7.8k), and it is a pretty killer pickup in its own right. But if you’re really trying to go for something completely different than the stock pickups, then the SNS set is the way to go.
        The choice is restricted to the pickups I already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubes View Post

When in doubt go with Seth Lovers (especially when you don't have at least one guitar with them yet).
          Again, the choice is restricted to what I already have.

Comment

57 classics!

Comment

What are those Michael Schenker pickups like? T-Top clones with short magnets or something?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                What are those Michael Schenker pickups like? T-Top clones with short magnets or something?
                Dunno yet. Haven't installed them. So far all I know is they're ceramic humbuckers, not super hot, but still a lot hotter than alnicos.

Comment

The guitar and the last of the parts needed fir the mods should be here today, fingers crossed.

Comment

Well, it arrived safe and sound.

The wife goes away for the weekend tomorrow, so the modding will begin then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220713_154707.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	6184865

Comment

What does the wood look like?

Comment

Hard to tell. It's definitely, um, wood, and the top and back look like korina. What's in the middle is hard to tell because the cavities got a good thick coat of varnish. I can't see any mahogany, however.

Comment

Anyway, all the gold hardware is now off, except for the string ferrules on the back, which are set in, not with a lip like those on a Tele for example. As they're on the back, they can stay.

The other exception is the bushings for the bridge screws. They don't appear to be standard Gibson size, bigger. Theyll be hidden by the pickguard and the height adjustment screws so no big deal. The chrome Gotoh bridge and height adjustment screws were a straight swap.

The tuners have been swapped for Kluson SD90SLN Tuners. The bushings had to be swapped becuae the Epi ones have a slightly smaller inside diameter, metric vs Imperial, I expect, but the old ones came out and the new ones went in without any fights. The screw holes lined up perfectly.

Next up it's rewiring the pickguard for the new pickups.

Comment

Tuners and bridge swapped, SNSs trail fitted with chrome pickup rings. I say trial fitted because I forgot to put some tape round one of the leads so I can tell which is which

Comment

Chrome truss rod cover too. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220713_194527.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	6184900 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220713_194519.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	6184901 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220713_194513.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	6184902