Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

And that wasn't easy to find!
    Yeah, and I can't even find the link now. It was expensive, and the switch wasn't super high quality. I have a work around, but it's far from ideal. You have to be REAL geeky to do it.

Comment

This is going to be slightly different than from what other people are saying, no doubt:

1-Series with big bass cut (0.0047uf in series with pickup output)
      2-Series with little bass cut (.0018uf)
      ​3-Series

If you absolutely have to have the parallel sound, you might have better luck with a split sound, considering that it's roughly similar and a lot easier to wire:

1-Split
      2-Split but with a 10k resistor in series with the red/white wire to ground in order to leave one of the coils partially on
      3-Series

The trouble with Esquires is that its tough to fill up a three way switch. You tend to find one or two settings that you gravitate to and a third one that you never use. The tone/volume bypass setting rarely gets used unless you're in a situation where you need a boost but can only get it on board the guitar. Having an intermediate setting between two good sounds, like I did in both conceptualizations, helps to alleviate this.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

OK, so for now, I just wired it with a 500K push pull set for full series humbucker / coil split.

Not really feeling the coil split. Doesn't really sound as good as it did with even the stock single coil. Just sounds like a weaker/squelchier Hot Rails. Gonna try parallel.

I wonder if I can do the push pull do series parallel, and then have the 3-way switch do something fun.

I like the idea of a bass cut. Can that work?

Comment

I think you will find the parallel significantly better than the split.. as far as bass cut, I think it's one of the best mods possible to thin out a thick fat heavy guitar like a Les Paul... But I'm afraid it would knock all the umph out of an esquire.

Sounds like the switch may be the challenge, however I love to try a blower setting on practically any pickup ( bypassing everything other than the pickup).. sometimes it's hard to predict what you'll get, but with a hot rails it should be a pretty massive sound of some sort.
          What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Parallel does sound better to my ears across all of the 'little' humbuckers. I don't feel the same way about full size ones, though.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X