No announcement yet.

I could use some help again please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Dremel....I'm thinking of maybe shortening the invader screw's. But Mincer's idea is a possibility as well.

Comment

Well, those are machine screws, and they won't bite into the wood very well. Just find wood screws with a smaller diameter, about 2/3 the length of the machine screws.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sorry guys, I got sidetracked. I finished, but not without making a mistake or 2.
        Trial & error are great teachers.
        End result...this thing sounds killer. I actually like this pickup a little better than the SH-4 JB pup.

anyways......

So......as I proceeded to try the original screw from my other Ibanez the red & Black one, as i was drilling, it went from some resistance to....none.
        Well, I immediately stopped.
        OOPS.
        Can ya guess what happened??

lol

Yup.

It went right through.
        Its not too bad.
        I checked the original pickup. I removed the foam from the pickup.
        Basically everything fit and worked out.

Thank you everyone for your help. I had a lot of fun.
        Last edited by quintaar69; 03-21-2023, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Oh, man. I feel your pain. I had an Ibanez RGA121 that I wanted to fit EMG's in at one point. I had to dremel out some wood from the bottom of the pickup routes AND some material off bottom corners on the EMG's to get it to fit. Lucky for me, the previous owner had also filled in the holes for the mounting screws and redrilled to use smaller woodscrews so that I wouldn't have to widen the threads on the pickup itself.

I try to stay the hell away from guitars with direct-mount routes nowadays, TBH.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-21-2023, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I really like direct mounts, but there isn't a generally accepted universal way of mounting them. FU Tone uses some cool brackets but they are expensive for what they are.

Comment

Very nice Ibanez Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I really like direct mounts, but there isn't a generally accepted universal way of mounting them. FU Tone uses some cool brackets but they are expensive for what they are.
                And they don't fit the shallow routes that Ibanez use.

Comment

Originally posted by quintaar69 View Post
                  Very nice Ibanez Rex.
                  Thanks, man! Wish I wouldn't have sold it. That guitar sounded like a million bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    And they don't fit the shallow routes that Ibanez use.
                    Yeah, this is an area that could use some standardization across companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, this is an area that could use some standardization across companies.
                      I can hardly see that happening, sadly.

I get that most companines only want to remove as little wood as possible for the direct mounted routes, but that leaves us pickup swap afficionados in a predicament. Particularly routes made for VERY specific baseplates like on EVH guitars or guitars routed for the DiMarzio/Suhr triangular tabs.

Comment

It will never happen, just like wire color standardization across companies won't happen.

Comment

Working...
                        X