Bridge humbucker for funk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge humbucker for funk?

I've got a Sterling Cutlass HSS. The current pickups are a Screamin Demon in the bridge and a couple of Classic Stacks in the middle and neck. I originally thought I'd be using this guitar for hard rock, but lately I find myself playing a lot of neo-soul and funk (and using my Les Paul for the hard rock). So I'm thinking about swapping out the Screamin Demon for a funk-focused pickup. What are your bridge recommendations?

Pickups that interest me:

Pearly Gates bridge
    59 bridge
    Lace Alumitone
    Burstbucker

Recommendations?

And yes, I know the best solution is probably just to get an actual SSS Strat, but I don't have cash for that. Changing the pickup is what I can afford at this point in time.

Jazz Bridge?
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I was going to suggest the Pearly Gates bridge even before reading which pickups you were interested in. I have a PGn split, and it is the Stratiest-sounding split pickup I have ever played. It is obviously also dynamite in the humbucking position. I think the PG on a push/pull with get you where you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post
        Jazz Bridge?
        Interesting. Is the Jazz bridge its own thing, or can you use a Jazz neck in the bridge and get the same result? I have a Jazz neck lying around, soooo...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I was going to suggest the Pearly Gates bridge even before reading which pickups you were interested in. I have a PGn split, and it is the Stratiest-sounding split pickup I have ever played. It is obviously also dynamite in the humbucking position. I think the PG on a push/pull with get you where you want to be.
          This is good to know, because the Pearly Gates is really the one I'm the most intrigued by. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Interesting. Is the Jazz bridge its own thing, or can you use a Jazz neck in the bridge and get the same result? I have a Jazz neck lying around, soooo...
            Yep. They make a Jazz wind for the bridge. You can try the neck and see how like it though the pole pieces won't line up.
            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post
              Yep. They make a Jazz wind for the bridge. You can try the neck and see how like it though the pole pieces won't line up.
              SD's regular humbuckers have the same spacing for both neck and bridge models. To get wider spacing for the bridge, you need a "Trembucker" (aka: TB) model.

Unfortunately, there is no regular production "Trembucker" version of the Jazz Bridge (aka: TB-2b) , so you'd have to order it as a "shop floor custom" through a dealer. Usually a small upcharge, but nothing like a Custom Shop pickup.

That said, the Jazz bridge model is a highly underutilized, lesser known pickup that works great in both positions!

Comment

Yeah, true, I'd need a Trembucker for the bridge, and my spare neck Jazz isn't a Trembucker.

Comment

id say toss that jazz neck in the bridge, and see what ya think. bright, spanky, and could absolutely do some funk

Comment

no no no no.

Middle single coil for funk

Bridge humbucker for rock or metal.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      id say toss that jazz neck in the bridge, and see what ya think. bright, spanky, and could absolutely do some funk
                      Wrong spacing, though. I'd need a Trembucker version of the Jazz neck, which I don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        no no no no. Middle single coil for funk Bridge humbucker for rock or metal.
                        Um....

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Wrong spacing, though. I'd need a Trembucker version of the Jazz neck, which I don't have.
                          Well, you're doing mostly chord work in this case. I don't think spacing matters that much. Try the Jazz in the bridge and see if you like the EQ and feel. Then, I think you can decide if you want that or something different. It won't cost you anything since you already have one on hand.
                          Last edited by TVFV; 03-09-2023, 07:59 PM.

Comment

BTW, have you tried the Demon in this context? That could work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              no no no no.

Middle single coil for funk

Bridge humbucker for rock or metal.
                              Gonna call BS on that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X