Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter pickup - George Lynch

Hi!
    I saw video, Lynch said that he used custom wound Distortion in Dokken era. The name is Hunter.
    I has Distortion, but it doesn't make that sound.
    I saw that Hunter has less DCR.
    Is that underwound Distortion?
    If I remove some wire from coils, I get Hunter?

My impression is that the Hunter probably is basically an underwound Distortion bridge.
    Its DCR is about 1K lower. But that is not necessarily the only difference.
    Other factors could vary also: magnet size, wind pattern, possibly wire type and maybe even some coil offset.

EDIT: According to MJ - who winds the Hunter personally - it does indeed have different wire than the regular Distortion.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 03-15-2023, 03:47 AM.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG80s View Post
      Hi!
      I saw video, Lynch said that he used custom wound Distortion in Dokken era. The name is Hunter.
      You might get there, towards the Hunter, by having an underwound Distortion, but don't do it yourself. You'll wreck the pickup if you're not experienced. Heck, I have made hundreds of guitars, modded even more pickups, and even for me peeling off winds is a bridge too far.

Comment

Easy. I've got experience

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG80s View Post
          Hi!
          I've heard him talk about several different custom wound pups. One was a Pearly Gates/Distortion hybrid that SD made for him.
          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

G has used lots of different pickups over the years, including JBs, a lot of it is in his hands (I know, not starting a debate), and what he plays through. On Under Lock and Key he was going through his 4-track recorder as a preamp into his Marshalls (or Randalls?), he does a lot of different stuff.

I would go with whatever MJ said, she made the pickups. I think they also had a regular size ceramic instead of the oversize one too, but no guarantees.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              G has used lots of different pickups over the years, including JBs, a lot of it is in his hands (I know, not starting a debate), and what he plays through. On Under Lock and Key he was going through his 4-track recorder as a preamp into his Marshalls (or Randalls?), he does a lot of different stuff.

I would go with whatever MJ said, she made the pickups. I think they also had a regular size ceramic instead of the oversize one too, but no guarantees.
              Distortion with single thick ceramic was a Lynch thing.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think a single thick ceramic is the stock Distortion arrangement.
                Mine are that way, at least.
                Pretty sure it's the Invader that has extra spacer ceramics.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Hunter has a regular thickness ceramic and enamel wire.

EDIT: Masta'C has pointed out the previous post probably meant single-thick as in regular thickness.
                My mistake.
                Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 03-22-2023, 09:50 PM.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I think he meant single "thickness" as in a "standard thickness" mag (rather than one "thick" magnet). Basically what some of us would refer to as a "Distortion lite"

Comment

Is the Hunter gone from the CS's regular roster again? That is a pity.

Comment

Lynch has a bad habit of changing endorsements on a whim. I'm 99% sure you can still order one off-menu from the Custom Shop.

Comment

Oh, definitely. And I am fortunate enough to have one of the signed ones.

Comment

I've really been wanting to check out the Hunter pickup.
                          The Duncan Distortion is one of my all time favorites and go to high output ceramic shred machines.
                          So I've always been curious about the Hunter.

Speaking of different pickups not exactly in the catalog...
                          Here's a few other interesting Duncan pickups that I've been wanting to try:
                          Super V
                          DD1- Holeshot
                          Custom 5 Plus (or Custom Custom Custom Plus)
                          Pearly Gates Plus
                          Hyperion

Comment

The Pearly Gates Plus is a hotter Pearly Gates with tighter low end and slightly less mids. It is also reverse phase than other Duncans to play nice with Fender pickups.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              The Pearly Gates Plus is a hotter Pearly Gates with tighter low end and slightly less mids. It is also reverse phase than other Duncans to play nice with Fender pickups.
                              I didn't know about the reverse phase thing. Good to know!
                              From what I've gathered, it's just a trembucker spaced Pearly Gates with an Alnico 5 instead of Alnico 2 made for Fender.

Comment

Working...
                              X