JB & JAZZ in a Les Paul Trad Pro V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB & JAZZ in a Les Paul Trad Pro V?

Has anyone got a wiring scheme for dropping the JB and the JAZZ into a Les Paul Traditional Pro V? The extra circuitry in the TPV is proving to be a challenge to the guys at my local shop. They can get the bridge (JB) pup working but the neck (JAZZ) pup sound weak, tinny, and underpowered. The TPV has 2 Volume, 2 Tone, dip switches for coil tap/coil split/phase and all four pots are push/pull.

The "traditional" wiring scheme for the 2HH w/2 Vol/2 Tone/3 switch doesn't seem to work for my set up.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

I suspect one of two things: either only the Gibson pickups will work because of the tap option, or if the JB/Jazz works, the tap positions will either do nothing or cut the sound altogether, meaning they can't really be used with anything but the Gibson pickups. I'd need to see the Gibson wiring diagram to make sure, however. Did you correctly connect the colored wires? Duncan colors are different from Gibson, so you can't just put red to red, green to green, etc.

Comment

any pup should work as long as you have the wires right. we still need to see the diagram to help

Comment

Anderson, Bare Knuckle, Bartolini, Benedetto, Bill Lawrence, Caparison, Carvin, DiMarzio, Dunca Designed, EMG-HZ, Fender, Fralin, GFS, Gibson, Golden Age, Gotoh, Ibanez, Iron Gear, Joe Barden, Jackson, Kent Armstrong, Lace, Lollar, Lundgren, Nordstrand, Paul Reed Smith, Peavey, Railhammer, Rio Grande, Rockfield, Seymour Duncan, Shadow, Sheptone, Suhr, Swineshead, TDM, Tone Rider, TV-Jones WCR and more.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Not taking the wire color differences into account will mean that it either works or it doesn't .

And what is your wiring trying to accomplish with 4 p/p pots and 3 additional dip switches? What are the p/p pots doing if the dip switches are doing the split and phase? Unless you ordered your JB and Jazz with the custom tap option (with an additional wire) they can only be split. (To have both tap and split is a little overkill anyway).

And, most importantly...do you want your guitar to have "fancy" wiring with bragging rights, or to be useable?
          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-23-2023, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            any pup should work as long as you have the wires right. we still need to see the diagram to help
            Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Not taking the wire color differences into account will mean that it either works or it doesn't .

And what is your wiring trying to accomplish with 4 p/p pots and 3 additional dip switches? What are the p/p pots doing if the dip switches are doing the split and phase? Unless you ordered your JB and Jazz with the custom tap option (with an additional wire) they can only be split. (To have both tap and split is a little overkill anyway).

And, most importantly...do you want your guitar to have "fancy" wiring with bragging rights, or to be useable?
            FYI This particular model guitar has both coil split AND coil tap, which indicates to me those Gibson humbuckers have a special tap wire in addition to the 4-cond. So either the taps will no longer do anything, or will shut off the sound completely, I think.

Comment

If it's of any use, this appears to be the "wiring" arrangement in the Trad Pro V:

Good luck, ha ha!

Comment

Well, I see where the pickups connect, so maybe it is the case of getting the right 'tails' and soldering them to the correct wires. That would be the easiest way.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just looking at the circuit without putting major thought in it, it looks like the split/tap is actually a reference the gibson "power tap" thing, where they don't actually cut one coil, just run it through a considerable high pass filter.

Also the high pass filter switch at first glance looks its actually two difference capacitors, one with a resistor on it. I'll look more into that tommorow as I am immensely tired right now.

Also they have their silly little transient suppression.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    If it's of any use, this appears to be the "wiring" arrangement in the Trad Pro V:

Good luck, ha ha!
                    Wow, that's amazing that you could find that and post it. That is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by DarenCroy View Post
                      Has anyone got a wiring scheme for dropping the JB and the JAZZ into a Les Paul Traditional Pro V? The extra circuitry in the TPV is proving to be a challenge to the guys at my local shop. They can get the bridge (JB) pup working but the neck (JAZZ) pup sound weak, tinny, and underpowered. The TPV has 2 Volume, 2 Tone, dip switches for coil tap/coil split/phase and all four pots are push/pull.

The "traditional" wiring scheme for the 2HH w/2 Vol/2 Tone/3 switch doesn't seem to work for my set up.

Thanks!
                      Thanks to the post from Masta' C, now I can see what is supposed to be happening.

Wow, that's even "worse" than the Jimmy Page wiring.

If you can get the correct pup wires connected to the correct "tail" wires of the plug (that plugs the pups into the circuit board), you'll need to have the first 2 DIPs set to "split". If they are set to "tap" then it will essentially either take that pup out of the circuit since the new pups being installed don't have tap wires, or it will do nothing. The other DIP switches don't do the phase/oop, they are high pass filters. If the neck sound "weak, tinny, and underpowered" it could be that the #1 dip is set to split and the #3 dip is set to high pass in circuit.

Does the neck vol pot p/p make it sound different when pulled up or not?

Comment

After further analysis and a doing some scouring of the web here is what the DIP switches do:

1/2: This is actually a Gibson Fat Tap circuit. This means that with the switch set to off, you will have a fatter sounding split sound, and with the switch set to on you will have a thinner sound with a bit more noise. It's not a true tap, so the type of pickup you have won't matter, just so long as it has four conductors.

3/4: This switch when turned on puts a treble bleed in your circuit. With all the volume controls at 10 it shouldn't effect your sound.

5: Transient suppression. I would always keeps this on. All it does is reduce transients so if you plug the guitar directly into a computer you get slightly better sound. It won't make a difference plugged into an amplifier.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

In short the circuitry is not the problem. Either they are wiring the neck in the wrong way, or one of the coils is broken.

Comment

Probably wired incorrectly. Chances of a coil "broken" is very slim.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              After further analysis and a doing some scouring of the web here is what the DIP switches do:

1/2: This is actually a Gibson Fat Tap circuit. This means that with the switch set to off, you will have a fatter sounding split sound, and with the switch set to on you will have a thinner sound with a bit more noise. It's not a true tap, so the type of pickup you have won't matter, just so long as it has four conductors.

3/4: This switch when turned on puts a treble bleed in your circuit. With all the volume controls at 10 it shouldn't effect your sound.

5: Transient suppression. I would always keeps this on. All it does is reduce transients so if you plug the guitar directly into a computer you get slightly better sound. It won't make a difference plugged into an amplifier.
                              OK, that explains a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X