Something comparable to PRS 85/15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something comparable to PRS 85/15?

Picked up a PRS CE24 a little while ago and it has the 85/15 TCI pickups in it. They are awesome...just scream 80's rock to me, but they are lower output than you'd typically use for that purpose and clean up really well. Looking at the specs I'd never guess they would sound the way they do...

I'm thinking I would like something similar in another guitar, but with a little more output. Anyone familiar with these pickups know if SD makes something with a similar voicing?

I agree with you...I'm a big fan of the 85/15 pickups. Really versatile rock voicing with excellent cut and just enough output and compression that they hold together nicely under gain, but also clean up really well, as you said.

Honestly, there's not a "perfect" match in the Duncan camp, but you might like the '78 model bridge pickup, which was a Custom Shop model that was recently released as a more affordable "production" model, paired with something like a Pearly Gates or '59 "bridge" model in the neck.

You might also like the PATB-1 (Original Parallel Axis) set if you want something with a bit more output, but a very similar tonal versatility and not too over-the-top.

The Pegasus/Sentient combo might be another to look at and the 59/Custom hybrid is a solid option that pairs well with a variety of neck pickups, also

Comment

I've always wondered about those pickups. Hearing they're "85" always made me thought they'd be some sort of hot ceramic, but looking at the specs, they seem to be PAFy with A5 magnets? Or is it A2?

Also brass baseplates that PRS often use, right? Is there anything else going under the hood with these?

Becasuse those specs would make me think something DiMarzio-y like those old PAF Classics could fit the bill, maybe? Or the Air Classics? Or maybe one of the first-gen PAF 36th Annis? I distinctly remember having an older one that had a brass baseplate.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-28-2023, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        I agree with you...I'm a big fan of the 85/15 pickups. Really versatile rock voicing with excellent cut and just enough output and compression that they hold together nicely under gain, but also clean up really well, as you said.

Honestly, there's not a "perfect" match in the Duncan camp, but you might like the '78 model bridge pickup, which was a Custom Shop model that was recently released as a more affordable "production" model, paired with something like a Pearly Gates or '59 "bridge" model in the neck.

You might also like the PATB-1 (Original Parallel Axis) set if you want something with a bit more output, but a very similar tonal versatility and not too over-the-top.

The Pegasus/Sentient combo might be another to look at and the 59/Custom hybrid is a solid option that pairs well with a variety of neck pickups, also
        I actually have the Pegasus/Sentient in another PRS. Fantastic pickups...very different though. They are much warmer and more modern sounding than the 85/15, still love them though. I'll look at the others. Thanks .

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I've always wondered about those pickups. Hearing they're "85" always made me thought they'd be some sort of hot ceramic, but looking at the specs, they seem to be PAFy with A5 magnets? Or is it A2?

Also brass baseplates that PRS often use, right? Is there anything else going under the hood with these?

Becasuse those specs would make me think something DiMarzio-y like those old PAF Classics could fit the bill, maybe? Or the Air Classics? Or maybe one of the first-gen PAF 36th Annis? I distinctly remember having an older one that had a brass baseplate.
          They're a strange pickup. Much brighter/clearer than a PAF type, definitely sound hotter than their output would imply...and they are A2 and sound nothing like any other A2 pickup I've used before. They do have a brass baseplate (I think all PRS pickups might...). I have no idea what they've done to achieve what they have with this pickup. Very balanced, very clear, when run into an overdriven amp they really have a lot of that 80's overwound pickup vibe...but a touch tamer so they don't really go over the top/out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

FYI the 78 model is available as a matched set. But a Pearly Gates bridge or 59/Custom would make a great neck for a 78.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              FYI the 78 model is available as a matched set.
              Holy cow, you're right!

Well, then the '78 "set" is probably going to be the most direct alternative to the 85/15 set

For a little more punch, I stand by a '59/Custom hybrid in the bridge paired with either a '59 "bridge" model or '78 "neck" model in the neck position.

Comment

Originally posted by savage8190 View Post

They're a strange pickup. Much brighter/clearer than a PAF type, definitely sound hotter than their output would imply...and they are A2 and sound nothing like any other A2 pickup I've used before. They do have a brass baseplate (I think all PRS pickups might...). I have no idea what they've done to achieve what they have with this pickup. Very balanced, very clear, when run into an overdriven amp they really have a lot of that 80's overwound pickup vibe...but a touch tamer so they don't really go over the top/out of control.
                I had heard A5 bridge A2 neck for 85/15 and that the 58/15 are both A2 with covers, those two things being the only difference between the two sets?
                Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Yea but you have to remember 85 in 85/15 refers to the specific model '1985 PRS Standard Treble & Bass' pickups. They weren't voiced as a hot ceramic so there's no reason to really expect it.

From PRS:

​​​​​ "The 33 Biggest Innovations in Pickup Design” named PRS guitars as an innovator for our 1985 Standard Treble and Bass Pickups. We are obviously proud of our past innovations, but part of our company’s philosophy is to never stop improving. This year we released our latest pickup design, the 85/15 & 58/15 pickups. The 85/15 pickups take our 1985 pickup design and update it with the things we’ve learned over the past 30 years of research and development."
                  JC
                  -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                  -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                  -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                  -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                  -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                  -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by soulforger View Post

I had heard A5 bridge A2 neck for 85/15 and that the 58/15 are both A2 with covers, those two things being the only difference between the two sets?
                    I have the 58/15's as well and I don't really care for them that much. The newer TCI version is ok...just a very generic PAF type tone. I pulled them from both guitars they came in.

So far as I know they are all A2's...but who knows. It's not like PRS lists the specs.

Comment

PRS actually posted the specs when they released the limited edition sets. You can still find them at some dealers. Supposedly A2s, Treble 8.3K and Bass 7.5K.

Comment

That's what is easy to find on the internet. How it is accurate really don't know. I have a pair of 85/15 S (first release) and they seem to my ear A2/A5. But I can't be sure 100%
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X