Dimarzio Air Zone is Really, Really Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Air Zone is Really, Really Good

A couple of years ago, I disassembled a few Warmoth strats with the intention of swapping necks and bodies but never got back around to it. One of them had an Air Zone that I had put away in the closet. Yesterday, I found the Air Zone and installed it into a strat and wanted to kick myself for forgetting I had that pickup. It's a seriously, seriously good pickup that's like a FRED and Air Norton put together. The harmonics are so rich, the low end is clear and smooth, but it's full of mids, a little aggressive, and has enough power so it's also good for death metal. I've never played a more expressive pickup than the Dimarzio FRED, but the Air Zone equals it. I also feel like I can get a similar level of expression with the Duncan Custom Custom and Custom/59 so I would suggest those if you want a Duncan with a really beautiful array of harmonic overtones but with more output than vintage pickups. The Air Zone, however, has all that but also a little bigger sound. It's still kind of aggressive so I think "smooth" is not really a good description, more like "refined" perhaps.

According to Dimarzio's website, the Air Zone is a moderate output pickup.with a big bottom end, and the EQ is as follows:
    Bass 9.5
    Low Mid 8
    High Mids 7.5
    Treble 4.5

However, it's definitely not an overpowering low end or mids as the chart suggests. In fact, mids are more prominent than the low end but not in a way that sounds a bit much, and if I were to rate the treble, it would be more like 5. Those little pieces of plastic they put may be extremely simple but it's genius. Perhaps the EQ might be accurate but what their "air" technology does is impart some evenness and space across the spectrum so that it's thick but not bassy or nasaly, and not as compressed as a Norton or Tone Zone.

Even though it's categorized as moderate output, it reminds me more of the Tone Zone output, and that has something to do with it's FRED touch. The difference in output is offset by certain sensitivity and feel. As a moderate output pickup, it gets away with a lot because it can drive an amp almost as good as much as a Tone Zone but stay pretty clean with amps like the Friedman Dirty Shirley.

I'm surprised the Air Zone isn't one of the more popular pickups on the market. It's so good that I'm kicking myself for forgetting all about it. Lesson learned! The Air Zone will never, ever come out of this guitar.
    Last edited by dr_m; 03-29-2023, 11:55 AM.

The Air Zone is a great pickup...basically a Tone Zone with more dynamics and a less woofy bottom end, but similar harmonic character and plenty of output. If it's working for you in that guitar, then rock it!

Comment

I think I am planning on putting an Air Zone into the bridge of my PRS SE CU24 Floyd, I had been dithering between this and an AT-1 but I really like the "dual resonance" thing of the Zone.
      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

I've often wondered how similar an air zone would be to a tone zone that's just backed off the strings a bunch. Doing that with a TZ adds dynamics and tames the woofiness, making it a really nice pickup.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by soulforger View Post
          I think I am planning on putting an Air Zone into the bridge of my PRS SE CU24 Floyd, I had been dithering between this and an AT-1 but I really like the "dual resonance" thing of the Zone.
          Depends on what you're going for. Personally, I like the AT-1 better as long as it's going into a fairly bright sounding guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by soulforger View Post
            I had an AT-1 for a long time. It's a really good pickup. It's like taking a PAF 36th anniversary and going a bit over the top in the low end and low mids. The Air Zone has a similar tonal profile to the AT-1 but actually sounds a bit more balanced to me. The only thing with the AT-1 is that it left me on the edge of wanting a Mo Joe or Norton, but that's just my own personal taste as far as how the EQ comes across. The Air Zone is a lot like it, and if I'm not mistaken, they both use the air spacers. However, for my picking mechanics and touch, things come across clearer and more articulate for me with the Air Zone. I think either way you go would not disappoint.
            Last edited by dr_m; 04-01-2023, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Obviously you guys see why I've been going back and forth on these two! The guitar is fairly neutral, it's a '17 so has the rosewood rather than ebony like the current ones do, so not too bright, but it does have the Floyd and maple neck and top. It has decent low end as Paul Reeds do but I want to bring a bit more of that out in it. I'm sure if I don't love one I'll try the other!
              Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)

Comment

In that case, I'd try the Air Zone to start

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  In that case, I'd try the Air Zone to start
                  I would second that suggestion, but there's also something else I would consider. The PAF 36th is kind of like the one that kicked it all off. The AT-1 is based on it. The Air Zone has a lot in common with it also. He could get a PAF 36th and see how he likes it, then can exchange if it doesn't work out. That way, he'll have a pretty good idea of what more or less he'd want out of it and clearer direction towards either the AT-1 or Air Norton.

By the way, discussing this has led to me wonder if the Dimarzio air spacers would fit in a Duncan pickup.I'm not really serious about that but it would be interesting to know as I happen to have a spare set of those spacers.

Comment

I say start with the Air Zone, then decide if you actually require any less output.

The Air Zone is solid medium output pickup, while the 36th, though no slouch, is really more "vintage hot". If you're used to higher output pickups, you'll probably prefer the response and feel of the Air Zone. After all, the whole point of the Air Zone is that it takes the Tone Zone formula and imparts it with some vintage-y character without going full vintage.

I do agree that the Air Zone might seem more "balanced" overall when compared to the AT-1, especially since the top end of the Air Zone is a little more present/open sounding, but it really depends on the particular guitar, amp, and player preference as to which is the best fit.

BTW, the AT-1 isn't based on the 36th at all. Not saying a player who likes one wouldn't like the other, but they are very different pickups. That said, the 36th neck pairs amazingly well with an AT-1 in the bridge!

Comment

I have experience with the 36th Anniv. and I have really liked them, as MastaC said, great for a vintage hot application. I want a bit more output for this guitar without going over the top and these two are just right. This is for Pagans Mind/Fates Warning type progressive rock and metal with a 6505, I have been undecided on a neck to pair, the 36th neck is a good choice there, I know the Air Norton gets used a lot but I've never quite bonded with those. I'm intrigued by the Rainmaker and Gravity Storm neck which I believe are both 'airbuckers" as well but have no experience with either so I may experiment a bit there just for fun.
                      By the way Dr M, I have wondered the same thing, I know people have "un aired" certain Dimarzios, particularly the AT-1 to get closer to the EVH/Axis bridge, and some of these models are quite similar to the JB to begin with which made me wonder if anyone had ever attempted to "air" a JB or any other Seymour. (I have always been very fond of the JB as well by the way and have used them a lot over the years!)

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                        I say start with the Air Zone, then decide if you actually require any less output.

The Air Zone is solid medium output pickup, while the 36th, though no slouch, is really more "vintage hot". If you're used to higher output pickups, you'll probably prefer the response and feel of the Air Zone. After all, the whole point of the Air Zone is that it takes the Tone Zone formula and imparts it with some vintage-y character without going full vintage.

I do agree that the Air Zone might seem more "balanced" overall when compared to the AT-1, especially since the top end of the Air Zone is a little more present/open sounding, but it really depends on the particular guitar, amp, and player preference as to which is the best fit.

BTW, the AT-1 isn't based on the 36th at all. Not saying a player who likes one wouldn't like the other, but they are very different pickups. That said, the 36th neck pairs amazingly well with an AT-1 in the bridge!
                        Well, if you read Dimarzio's description, they allude to the AT-1 being essentially a tweaked PAF 36th. I remember reading something from Dimarzio years ago when the AT-1 hit the market that Andy Timmons started with the PAF 36th and the AT-1 came out of suggestions he made based on it. Either way, I've had both and find them to be similar but basically a little difference in output, spikier mids and more low-end emphasis in the AT-1.

Anyway, though specs for the Air Zone and AT-1 would suggest they share the most similarities, I find the Air Zone to be a little more similar to the PAF 36th except with qualities that kind of fix thing some people didn't like about the 36th. Either way, they're all great.

And yeah, the AT-1 pairs better with other neck models than the Cruiser. Honestly, I had the Andy Timmons set and did not like the vast difference in output and feel between the AT-1 and Cruiser. The Chopper and Air Norton S pair much better with it in my opinion. However, Andy Timmons has an amazing touch and phrasing so he's able to do stuff with that pickup combination that I couldn't pull off.

Attached Files

Comment

Some good discussion here. This year I have tried a few Dimarzios based on recommendations here and definitely a fan of the AT1 and Evolution. I scored another AT1 for cheap and took it apart and took out the spacers 'De-Airing'. Know of anywhere were you can get f spaced metal spacers for Dimarzios?

Was thinking of taking the two screw coils of the AT1 and trying to do an Axis style pickup. Found some great info here: https://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/...p?topic=3710.0

Always wanted to try an Air Zone. Are those six metal slugs? (usually empty on other pickups) the virtual vintage tech?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_m View Post

Well, if you read Dimarzio's description, they allude to the AT-1 being essentially a tweaked PAF 36th. I remember reading something from Dimarzio years ago when the AT-1 hit the market that Andy Timmons started with the PAF 36th and the AT-1 came out of suggestions he made based on it.
                            I can see where you're getting confused...

In that description, DiMarzio is referring to the use of "Virtual Vintage" (iron slugs embedded in the coils for increased impedance) and "Airbucker" (gap between the magnet and poles) technology in both of the designs, not the actual coil wind being similar between them.

The pickup that became the production model "AT-1" came out nearly a decade before the 36th PAF did, so the AT-1 certainly wasn't based on the 36th.

Also, Andy played a JB before he got his signature pickup. I don't think there's any record of him using a 36th PAF, certainly not to any meaningful degree.

Not trying to argue, just trying to keep things straight since misconceptions can spread easily

Comment

Another general wondering of mine along opposite lines is this:
                              According to Larry Dimarzio, Steve Blucher came up with the "Air" technology, or technique as a way to emulate the softer character of an Alnico 2 magnet. Since an Air Norton is a Norton with "air" and Air Zone is a Tone Zone with "air", has anyone here ever tried an A2 in a Norton or Tone Zone, and if so was it anything like the Aired versions? According to Larry, they were trying to come up with something EVH would like as much as the Seymour Custom Custom he was happily using in the neck of his favorite prototype Music Man at the time. The Air Norton is reportedly VERY close to the EVH/Axis neck pup, I wonder if a Norton with an Alnico 2 is similar to a Custom Custom at all, but in a Dimarzio way? I guess the only way to find out is to do it! I was just curious if anyone here had done it first, usually someone here has tried just about anything one could think of!

Comment

Working...
                              X