No announcement yet.

We might perhaps finally know Van Halen's humbuckers magnet type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everyone needs to drop the bs, the conversation about evh is fine, but the back and forth is non-sense. if ya dont care about the snooty pursuit of a certain tone or deep dive into gear, thats fine. let those that are interested do their thing

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      EVH tone is preset #37 in a Digitech RP200A. It really is that easy these days.
      There are a ton of EVH presets in the Eventide H9, Ain't Talking Bout Love, Panama, Drop Dead Legs, and others. While exploring the H90 recently, I found a preset called "Balance Era" that was spot on. Not something I think I would use, but fun to play with and get nostalgic about.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

When you trace it back further it is very cool. Eric Clapton inspired by Freddie King buys a Les Paul with humbuckers instead of P90s and creates his own tone, including the Woman tone. Clapton then moves on to an ES335 to further develop his own tone. In Pasadena young EVH is inspired by Clapton and buys an ES335. When the ES335 is not just right for his direction EVH buys a guitar inspired by his other hero Jeff Beck and gets a Stratocaster. When he finds the Strat is not as full as the ES335 he takes the pickup from the Gibson and puts it in the Strat. If Eddie was content sounding like Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck, Frankenstein would never have been created.

I guess we have Freddie King to thank for all of this.
        I love that it’s a skip and a hop from Freddie King to Fear Factory. Isn’t history cool?
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
          Anyways, I very much enjoyed the blog because I like reading about deep dives and research in general, and greatly appreciate how the author still kept it real here (as seen in one of their blogs regarding the amp
          Are you implying you think you could reverse engineer the mods that were done to Eddie's amps? I like to think I'm good at what I do, and you could hand me a pedal (which is peanuts to an amp) that I've modded, and I'd be hard pressed to reverse engineer, barring that I wouldn't be allowed to just look at component values.

I doubt Eddie mentioned tech specs in any of his interviews, and I doubt José Arredondo was interviewed regarding the subject. And it's not like you can reverse engineer an amp with black box methods, especially if the box in question isn't even in front of you.

How would you suggest he further his research?
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

Are you implying you think you could reverse engineer the mods that were done to Eddie's amps? I like to think I'm good at what I do, and you could hand me a pedal (which is peanuts to an amp) that I've modded, and I'd be hard pressed to reverse engineer, barring that I wouldn't be allowed to just look at component values.

I doubt Eddie mentioned tech specs in any of his interviews, and I doubt José Arredondo was interviewed regarding the subject. And it's not like you can reverse engineer an amp with black box methods, especially if the box in question isn't even in front of you.

How would you suggest he further his research?
            What? No.

I'm just saying that it's great of him to remind people there's a ****ton of ways to get within the ballpark and that you're gonna get more out of practiing.
            Originally posted by Myaccount876
            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post

What? No.

I'm just saying that it's great of him to remind people there's a ****ton of ways to get within the ballpark and that you're gonna get more out of practiing.
              Ah, I thought that was sarcasm. Carry on then
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

I love that it’s a skip and a hop from Freddie King to Fear Factory. Isn’t history cool?
                Someone should map the licks. I am sure some pentatonic licks went from Freddie>Clapton>EVH>Fear Factory/Dimebag

Comment

I heard EVH swapped the 3-prong power cable on his variac to a 4-prong style and that the added capacitance, coupled with the increased efficiency to ground, resulted in a unique voltage curve through the transformer of his amp, which in turn gave his resulting "brown" sound the extra edge and clarity that came to define the VH sound on the first record.

That and cocaine.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Someone should map the licks. I am sure some pentatonic licks went from Freddie>Clapton>EVH>Fear Factory/Dimebag
                    Great idea. It would demonstrate that great new sounds don’t occur in a vacuum without recombining prior influences. Like a guitar-based “Everything is a remix” series.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X