What's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's next?

I've been running through pickups, I don't REALLY know what I'm looking for, just sort of working my way through the SD lineup to see what I do and don't like and hoping I strike gold . I have 3 guitars equipped with humbuckers right now. My Custom 24 has Bareknuckle Nailbombs:

"The Nailbomb humbucker is the perfect synergy of old-school and modern rock tones"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230407_084221_Chrome.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	6228169

My CE 24 has PRS 85/15's:

"Our 85/15 pickups bring vintage and modern pickup design together to deliver exceptional clarity and extended high and low end."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230407_084210_Chrome.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	6228170

I think they are actually pretty similar, both a bit stronger in the mids, both a little lighter/tight in the bass, and both voiced vintage/modern. The nailbombs have considerably more output though. I'm a big fan of both so they are sticking.

The 3rd guitar is a McCarty 594. It came stock with the PRS 58/15 LT TCI; they were very generic sounding. Not a lot of character, too low output, they could really do anything alright, but didn't blow me away in any aspect.

So far from SD I've tried the APH-2s slash set; that was very good, I loved the edge of breakup tone from the neck, they seemed to have a pretty good eq balance, but were maybe a bit too compressed/nasal sounding for me...I'm not sure, something was just a little off. I may circle back to them. I think they had my favorite neck pickup so far.

Then tried the Pegasus/Sentient for something totally different. By comparison to everything else these are very modern sounding. Great cleans, really thick gain, split really well. I especially liked the Pegasus bridge, but the Sentient I found too warm and smooth. No matter how I adjusted it I just couldnt get on with its tone. It went from really clean to all out fuzzy gain in the blink of an eye...the middle ground between those spots is where I like the neck to live.

Now I have the Saturday Night Specials in it. Again, i really enjoy the bridge pickup. I think as long as its at least a bit hot and not shrill or ice picky, I can can get on with almost any bridge PU lol. This one is especially nice though. The neck again is where I have some issue...the description says it's not wooly...but that's the exact word I would use to describe it. It's a cool sound...very 70s, which is what it's supposed to emulate, just not sure it's what I want.

I'm actually thinking I'm gonna try the APH-2 neck with the Saturday Night Special bridge...that could be a cool combo. But im wondering, what else should I try? Would love some recommendations!

For the record, I do repair work and I recently became a SD dealer, so I get a good price on them. I install them to try out and then will sell them as used to my customers. I dont lose money in this process, and I am trying to gain more knowledge of the pickups so I can make better recommendations. Just kind of a fun thing for me to do for myself and my customers.
    Last edited by savage8190; 04-07-2023, 10:17 AM.

Is there a particular sound you are looking for or just wanting to try different pickups?

For all around rock tones, the Custom, Custom 5 and Custom Custom are considered great pickups, not my fave, but I can see why people do like them. They are all the same wind, just different magnets, Custom (ceramic), Custom 5 (Alnico 5) and Custom Custom (Alnico 2).

If you like the APH-2 neck, try the Jazz neck, same wind but with an A5 magnet.

If you are looking higher output, JB, Distortion and even the Black Winter. Dont let the name of the Black Winter fool you, its not just a metal pickup, it can do more. I have both the BW bridge and neck in different guitars and really like both, may switch the Jazz I have in the guitar w the BW bridge to the BW neck.

Distortion and JB are that quintessential 80s hard rock tone.

I have not tried the Distortion neck but that started life as a bridge pickup, may be worth trying in both positions.

Others will come along with their suggestions as well and may or may not align with what I said, but thats ok.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

You might try the APH-1 in the neck, which is a little smoother than the Slash.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

How bout a mini sized SM-1 in the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
          Is there a particular sound you are looking for or just wanting to try different pickups?

For all around rock tones, the Custom, Custom 5 and Custom Custom are considered great pickups, not my fave, but I can see why people do like them. They are all the same wind, just different magnets, Custom (ceramic), Custom 5 (Alnico 5) and Custom Custom (Alnico 2).

If you like the APH-2 neck, try the Jazz neck, same wind but with an A5 magnet.

If you are looking higher output, JB, Distortion and even the Black Winter. Dont let the name of the Black Winter fool you, its not just a metal pickup, it can do more. I have both the BW bridge and neck in different guitars and really like both, may switch the Jazz I have in the guitar w the BW bridge to the BW neck.

Distortion and JB are that quintessential 80s hard rock tone.

I have not tried the Distortion neck but that started life as a bridge pickup, may be worth trying in both positions.

Others will come along with their suggestions as well and may or may not align with what I said, but thats ok.
          Not really sure what I'm after. I think I have a pretty specific taste...just can quite put my finger on it. Also open to trying out things just because...why not lol.

I've tried the JB; thats probably the most common install I do on customer guitars. Not sure I love it, but then every guitar I've put it in has been a clunker .

I'll put in an order for a JB/Jazz set. I've always wondered about the Distortion and the Custom Custom, so I'll give those a go. I had a Custom 5 WAY back paired with a 59...I didn't care for them then, but I was also pretty green at that time.

I've never even looked at the BW...I'll check it out and see if it's something I want to order. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            You might try the APH-1 in the neck, which is a little smoother than the Slash.
            Just got one in for a customer's strat. I'm interested to give it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by servin up spaghetti View Post
              How bout a mini sized SM-1 in the neck?
              I've always had a soft spot for mini-hums in the neck. I dont have anything I'd put one in right now...but that might be cool in my next build!

Comment

Is your PRS 25" scale? I installed a set of Invaders in my SG a few months ago. I've got it tuned down a full step and it all seems to be working great. Forgot how great they were.

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post
                  Is your PRS 25" scale? I installed a set of Invaders in my SG a few months ago. I've got it tuned down a full step and it all seems to be working great. Forgot how great they were.
                  I have a semi-hollow PRS coming next week. Once I hear it, I will decide if I need/want to change the pickups.

Comment

Had the opportunity to install some APH-2 pickups today in a customer's guitar...this let me A/B them with the Saturday Night Specials I currently have in mine. Bonus that the guitars were similar.

I actually like the SNS significantly more...even the neck pickup was a bit better. I didn't realize there was such a difference, but the APH-2's sounded...I don't know how to really describe it...just less. They weren't as bold, and had less drive...a bit thinner sounding if that makes sense.

I'll keep trying out new pickups just to learn more about them. But I think the SNS might be what I was after. I'm curious to put them up against the Whole Lotta Humbucker...I have those on order.

Comment

Originally posted by savage8190 View Post

I'll keep trying out new pickups just to learn more about them. But I think the SNS might be what I was after. I'm curious to put them up against the Whole Lotta Humbucker...I have those on order.
                      If you do that comparison, be sure to post the results!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I have a semi-hollow PRS coming next week. Once I hear it, I will decide if I need/want to change the pickups.
                        NGD post or it didn't happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

NGD post or it didn't happen!
                          Not here yet...was supposed to show up today. So it didn't happen, therefore no post yet.

Comment

Allright, I get that most pickups sound way too fat for your taste in the neck position. I'd say, try a jazz BRIDGE in the neck, and try a Seth Lover neck pickup. If that doesn't do it for you, I'd move into minihumbucker territory. I would never in my life describe the Sentient as fuzzy or fat sounding, at all.

Oh, fullshred neck, also great contender for clearer tones.

Comment

Yeah, the Sentient is almost as bright as the Jazz to my ears. But some people just simply don't like any neck pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X