banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about ordering my first set of custom pickups... thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Well, BW is around 13K with triple ceramic magnets. Custom is ~14k with a single regular thickness ceramic. With an A5, Custom 5.
    The BW wind is probably different, but if you go from triple ceramic to single A5, it's probably going to make it more scooped.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
    BW Bridge is 17K? Not 13?

A BW alnico V. Guess who tried that. Yup, yours truly.

It is very, very close to a JB. The highs aren't as sharp, more midrange, low end is more pronounced

BW underwound, I'd say, Nazgul but that one doesn't have the triple mag setup (which gives the BW it's extremely even tonal characteristic).
    BW underwound A5, would go into Custom5 or perpetual burn territory, but an issue is that if you peel off 44awg to make it underwound, you end up with a very thin tone that lacks any kind of oompf.

BW Neck is very similar to the SH6n, but again, with that evenness in its EQ. The SH6N is way sharper, picky, sharp. I love the SH6n in the bridge of a strat, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

It is very, very close to a JB. The highs aren't as sharp, more midrange, low end is more pronounced

BW underwound, I'd say, Nazgul but that one doesn't have the triple mag setup (which gives the BW it's extremely even tonal characteristic).
      BW underwound A5, would go into Custom5 or perpetual burn territory, but an issue is that if you peel off 44awg to make it underwound, you end up with a very thin tone that lacks any kind of oompf.

BW Neck is very similar to the SH6n, but again, with that evenness in its EQ. The SH6N is way sharper, picky, sharp. I love the SH6n in the bridge of a strat, by the way.
      Sort of unrelated (sorry), but does anyone have a pic of how SD does the triple magnets? I've never seen one, and I'm trying to picture the layout.

Larry

Comment

He was saying the BW-N rather with an A5 would be sorta like an underwound Custom 5, I think?

That sounds like something I'd like!​​​

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
        Sort of unrelated (sorry), but does anyone have a pic of how SD does the triple magnets? I've never seen one, and I'm trying to picture the layout.
        Awww, I just sold my regular BW and I'm delivering it later today. I'd rather not peel the tape before I give it to the buyer, because I find those tapes never come back on the same way they were on. Otherwise, I'd gladly snap a pick for you. Sorry.

Comment

The triple ceramic magnets are double thick and 1 goes in the middle like normal, then 2 go in the spacer area.

This should really be done with alnico to fill out vintage bridge hums. I might take on the project as an act of good will after I get some $$ coming in.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Oops, my mistake.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-04-13 at 9.21.32 PM.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	6229200

Well, I ended up with these.

Close enough, I guess? LOL.

Comment

which ones?

Comment

Fishman Fluence Classics. I traded my Will Adlers for those. Looks like they came off an LTD because they come with the black nickel/cosmo poles sorta like the Black Winter.

Comment

nice! never owned a set but theyve sounded good when ive had the chance to play through em. how are they wired?

Comment

Two volumes two tones. I think I've got the voice 1/2 switch on the neck tone and the single coil on the bridge tone.

But I want to reverse the switch on the neck tone so that voice 2 on the bridge is my default. Voice 2 is the JB-ish. The PAF-ish voicing is nice too since it's got a decent output, but I like the fatter JB voicing, personally. More familiar-sounding.

I don't like Voice 2 in the neck all that much, TBH. I don't know what it's supposed to be. I've read wide range humbucker, but I've also read semi-hollow. It just sounds weird to me. Like mega round with a weird spike in the highs.

The single coil is set to the inner coils. I want to change that as well. I don't get why people do that, honestly. I mean, I do get it with the bridge, but for me, I like my bridge single coil to be extra bright (otherwise, I'd stick with a humbucker there) and my neck single coil to be in the sweet spot.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-14-2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

TBH, I'm not in love with the neck pickup overall, but the bridge pickup is fantastic. Oh, well... can't have everything, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                        X