No announcement yet.

Phat cat magnet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I eventually want to add a tone pot to the bridge pickup ONLY, but I'm not sure how to wire that if it's possible with a 3-way switch.

Comment

The same way. Just attach the tone pot to the bridge pickup lead at the switch.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
        I eventually want to add a tone pot to the bridge pickup ONLY, but I'm not sure how to wire that if it's possible with a 3-way switch.
        Yeah, like Clint said. So Bridge pup, to tone pot (it's wired in parallel with the output of the pup so it can be at the pup or the switch), to switch, to output jack. Tone pot will only affect bridge pup, not neck.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

What would be a good starting point in resistor value for the bridge Phat Cat, I don't think I will need a lot of roll off.

Comment

I want to clarify, both the resistor and the tone pot will affect both the neck and bridge, when the N&B are both selected. There's no way, (with conventional guitar wiring), to isolate one from the other. Other than turning the neck pup off.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
              What would be a good starting point in resistor value for the bridge Phat Cat, I don't think I will need a lot of roll off.
              A 500k resistor is good if you don't want a severe roll off. It simulates a 250k pot. Here's a parallel resistance calculator if you want to examine values.

The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                I want to clarify, both the resistor and the tone pot will affect both the neck and bridge, when the N&B are both selected. There's no way, (with conventional guitar wiring), to isolate one from the other. Other than turning the neck pup off.
                i have a few guitars where the tone is only on the bridge pup, and it works well to keep the neck bright and open but give a bit of a darker bridge tone with the ability to roll off high end. id does effect the middle position, but ive never found that to be a problem

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

i have a few guitars where the tone is only on the bridge pup, and it works well to keep the neck bright and open but give a bit of a darker bridge tone with the ability to roll off high end. id does effect the middle position, but ive never found that to be a problem
                  I'd be curious to see how you have that wired. Always like to learn something new.

Comment

on the hamer monaco, there are three controls so thats easy. on the tele i just wired the tone to the bridge pup switch connection

Comment

Working...
                    X