Recommend a Telecaster bridge for good cleans and high gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a Telecaster bridge for good cleans and high gain

Looking for a Telecaster bridge that can do both clean and high gain. Currently playing in a band that calls for both. For cleans looking for something that is still dynamic and expressive without the stiffness I associate with high output pickups, bit of twang a plus. For High gain just want something that can still be punchy enough to not fizz out with high gain and has a tighter low end. Prefer single coils but willing to try humbuckers. Open to any brands but I am on a bit of a budget.

You might taake a look at the Jerry Donahue, which is about the best you can get when balancing between those extremes.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the SD vintage stack Tele bridge pup in a couple guitars and love it. It does clean and dirty tones, it’s better for the cleaner stuff but will take gain, I just roll back the tone knob a bit.

Comment

i think those are both very good suggestion. i love the jd but if you are using high gain, might want humcancelling and the vintage stack is a good sounding pup

Comment

Duncan Hot fo Tele and Dimarzio Pre-B1 are good candidates. The former is snappier, the later has more low end.

Comment

BG1400 can't go wrong
            It's funny how some stories became historic,
            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I have a Quarter Pound in my Esquire. It doesn't do fantastic cleans, but it's the only Tele pickup that I found doesn't sound absolutely terrible under high-gain.

The Hot Rails is alright if you're in Standard tuning, but it's too dark for anything lower... or if you have any other pickup on any other guitar and you directly compare it, LOL. But it does split decently (not fantastic, though) and has decent cleans.

Comment

Where is the gain coming from?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                  BG1400 can't go wrong
                  Also a great choice. It doesn't sound like a standard Tele, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are after.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Definitely like Donahue, but my experience is somewhat different... I've had lots of great crunch out of stock tele bridges.

But noise canceling is certainly important in somebody above mentioned the hot rail.. Hotrail it would be way too much in my opinion, however a cool rail will give you a really good modern stratish bridge, and it seems like I'm pointing this out a lot these days, it works incredibly well with a spin a split to drop down towards a single rail depending on noise, and it also works incredibly well parallel to self which gives you more classic tones.

Of course, none of these are totally authentic telly bridge tones but I've had a lot of customers like these options.
                    Last edited by zionstrat; 07-13-2023, 09:25 AM.
                    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Duncan Hot Stack slays in mine! No complaints doing Coldplay to Metallica. Vintage stack in the neck is solid too. Tons of prog rock soloing to be found with that one.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
                        Definitely like Donahue, but my experience is somewhat different... I've had lots of great crunch out of stock tele bridges.

But noise canceling is certainly important in somebody above mentioned the hot rail.. Hotrail it would be way too much in my opinion, however a cool rail will give you a really good modern stratish bridge, and it seems like I'm pointing this out a lot these days, it works incredibly well with a spin a split to drop down towards a single rail depending on noise, and it also works incredibly well parallel to self which gives you more classic tones.

Of course, none of these are totally authentic telly bridge tones but I've had a lot of customers like these options.
                        theres no tele cool rails that ive ever seen, though im sure the cs could do it

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                          Duncan Hot Stack slays in mine! No complaints doing Coldplay to Metallica. Vintage stack in the neck is solid too. Tons of prog rock soloing to be found with that one.
                          The Hot stack has tempted me in the past, the A-5 bar magnet makes me want one. I wonder how similar it is to the hot stack for Strat? I know they are different but I still wonder.

Comment

Hot rails are definitely very hot... I have never been able to get them to clean up anything like a tele or even a really useful clean sound but they do sound good in many different guitar when you want significant punch.

But as Jeremy said, I think you'd have to get a custom hot rail or cool rail, for mounting purposes.

Also just to be clear on nomenclature, the cool rail is not cool at all... it will gladly push a preamp and that's why I usually offer spin a split or parallel to get them down to a more classic tone.
                            Last edited by zionstrat; 07-13-2023, 08:12 PM.
                            What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

i don't like the normal bright tele bridges like the duncan STL-1, STL-52 or STL-1B. The Donahue is much better, but it's still quite bright and with high gain i only can take it, if i roll down the tone noticable (else too fizzy). i don't think it excels there. i use it for low gain stuff with great results

The Quarter Pound is very compressed, so the cleans are not what you want.

Best i could think of is the Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan. It's fat enough to sound good with quite some gain and not packed with mids so the cleans are still good and some twang left.
                              Not hum canceling though.
                              Dimarzio FastTrack (hum canceling) might be what you want too, but never came around to try it myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X