• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    I find the opposite is true from my experience

But who knows you may be right

Ibanez and Keisel. Most guitar makers use linear volumes

With that said my Gibson came with the other one stock
    Ok, I think you are right, technically. But wait for the demo section in this video. I think I've switched answers on this 8-10 times, ever getting corrected. I just remember going back and forth with this guy here on this forum, and when I finally tried linear volume, audio tone, the guitar when plugged in worked as I would have expected, so I've forever just used linear volume, audio tone ever since. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      I think I've switched answers on this 8-10 times, ever getting corrected.
      Almost noone can remember the correct workings of linear vs audio. You'll have a whole thread of mostly wrong and heresay answers. How hard is it to google image linear vs audio taper and get a graph to figure out the answer. Linear is linear duh. Audio turns down quicker.

Log is good for volumes if the person uses the distortion box all the time because it will clean up faster. Linear is good for volumes if the person plays clean and wants a long more usable sweep. Log is good for tones if the person wants the darkening effect to kick in more quickly as they turn down. Linear is good for a tone if the person wants a long sweep where it takes a while for the darkening to kick in.

The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Almost noone can remember the correct workings of linear vs audio. You'll have a whole thread of mostly wrong and heresay answers. How hard is it to google image linear vs audio taper and get a graph to figure out the answer. Linear is linear duh. Audio turns down quicker.

Log is good for volumes if the person uses the distortion box all the time because it will clean up faster. Linear is good for volumes if the person plays clean and wants a long more usable sweep. Log is good for tones if the person wants the darkening effect to kick in more quickly as they turn down. Linear is good for a tone if the person wants a long sweep where it takes a while for the darkening to kick in.

Yeah but watch that video. If you just measure a linear pot in circuit but without the load of an amp signal path, it has a more severe ramp; then when you plug it in, it behaves linearly.

Comment

Clint makes sense

On my Gibson with the audio taper pot for the volume

I can Clean up a dirty tone by backing off the volume aa quarter turn

This i cant do on my other guitars with linear volume pots
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Log is good for volumes if the person uses the distortion box all the time because it will clean up faster. Linear is good for volumes if the person plays clean and wants a long more usable sweep.

See this is the opposite of how I see it. I don't want by distortion to clean up faster, but in terms of volume I find audio has a more linear sweep. One of these days I'm going to try out a 30% "vintage" taper pot, because that's right in the middle.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Also come to think of it, I may convert some of my tone controls to audio. A slow linear taper is useful for a large cap, but now thatat I use smaller caps a faster taper may benefit me
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

id say it depends on how you get your dirt. if you use a cranked up amp, then linear allows you to dial in a wide variety of tones over the full range of the pots throw, where audio squeezes those shades into a tiny bit of pot rotation. if you use a pedal or pedals for dirt, there is so much diversity in how they work i dont think you can make a blanket statement.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  id say it depends on how you get your dirt. if you use a cranked up amp, then linear allows you to dial in a wide variety of tones over the full range of the pots throw, where audio squeezes those shades into a tiny bit of pot rotation. if you use a pedal or pedals for dirt, there is so much diversity in how they work i dont think you can make a blanket statement.
                  Its sad that I've been swapping pickups for years and only now am asking this question. I believe this is correct explanation. When dialing down high gain, want fine degree of control over range of the pot. And audio taper pot will loose its oomph if you turn it down just a little. But a clean guitar played without gain might benefit from audio taper.

The many Ibanez wiring diagrams floating around use linear volume and audio tone pots. These are generally high gain guitars. Ordering linear for volume pots for my guitars.

A couple years ago I measured the resistance of all the loose pots in my box and the 500K ones ranged between .4xx and .6xx. I was smart enough to write in sharpie what they actually measured.

When I was young and naive and didn't know they could have different values, I had one volume pot that I kept reusing because I was convinced it had better tone. It might have had less resistance or more (who knows), but now I know there was some truth to it.

Comment

I used this wiring for my traditional S,S,S, Strats .
                    I use a 5 way switch, a Push/ Push pot ( from GFS) , to get the common 5 sounds out of my Strats, get a neck / bridge combo ( on the neck position on the 5 way), on the neck position, I get all three pickups, one tone pot is for the neck/ middle pickups, while the other tone pot is for the bridge pickup .
                    When all three pickup are used I get a humbucker volume kick with Strat tone intact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221009_111730.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	6248017
                    Attached Files

Comment

It may be worth noting that many of the "log" pots we buy are actually two linear tracks connected together to save cost. Check out Rod Elliott's page on pots. Scroll down just a little bit to the graph, and check out the "commercial log" graph.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        It may be worth noting that many of the "log" pots we buy are actually two linear tracks connected together to save cost. Check out Rod Elliott's page on pots. Scroll down just a little bit to the graph, and check out the "commercial log" graph.

https://sound-au.com/pots.htm
                        Never imagined that, thanks.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          I love the IDEA of a push push, but....

I just feel that you would lose the "feel" of what the situation was, lose the visual cue . . .
                          Sorry if I'm misreading what you mean, but a push-push is still "popped-up" in one position. But I do admit, a push-pull is smooth, while a push-push feels like you're breaking it every time you use it.

Comment

So, it’s been a several weeks, and I love it. Yeah, I get it - it’s more of a slam/slam than a push/push, but it’s ridiculously easy, gross motor movement efficiency. Finally I will be switching to neck single coil for some of those harmonic/melodic minor runs. It will be interesting how long that pot has before it dies.
                            Active Duty Rig:
                            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Outside of the S1 switch, which has lasted quite awhile, normal push/push pots last about a year for me. They work best (to me) with things like Strat knobs, which are difficult to pull with a push/pull.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X