banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New HSS: Seth Lover(b) and Underwound SSL-1(n)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely makes me think you've got a nice guitar on your hands, maybe a little bit to nice to be balancing on a handrail
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

That is one cool looking Strat! How does it play/sound?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

How does the seth sound in a strat?

Looks really cool.

I love the way that from where you took that, it looks like the light coloured bobins are all the same colour and if you don't look carefully the bridge pickup could be a single coil.

Comment

i want a 9k+ seth lover

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i want a 9k+ seth lover
            Haha, so do I!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Nice fret ends!
              Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

This guy is amazing. He is doing tremendeus job on his guitar. Very young and talented. Moreover he works just 10 minutes far from my work

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              Definitely makes me think you've got a nice guitar on your hands, maybe a little bit to nice to be balancing on a handrail
              No worries. I'm good at balancing

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              That is one cool looking Strat! How does it play/sound?
              Alright, I had the chance to play it for a short while yesterday. First of all, the SSL-1 on the neck, whether it's a placebo effect or not, sounded clearer to me. I always thought Duncan's common Strat single coils (I'm generalizing here) were overwound. Moreover, a winding of around 6.71K, in my opinion, can be too much for a Strat neck. I think the loss of clarity is significant, especially if pickup has strong Alnico 5 magnets. When it comes to strong A5s, the 5.5-6K range is the ideal zone for me. Even if I'm at the upper limit of that range, I'm happier than before.
              The Seth Lover, on the other hand, is just the way I like it. It has a winding of 9.06K and an inductance of 5.66H. This provides a fat, slightly throaty, somewhat nasal while very balanced in the manner of output levels that doesn't overpower the other single coils (at least with the current pickup height adjustment). I really liked it, I always find A2 PAF clones to be very compatible with HSS Strats. However, there are two things I still want to try on the bridge; the first is a humbucker that will give exactly 5H inductance, a little more bite might be nicer. After all, it's a Strat The other thing I want to try is a V7 that I've modified myself. Since I personally witnessed that its values are very close according to my measurements, I'm very curious about the result on the guitar.Check this out;

How to achieve awesome EVH humbucker just by 2 easy mods. Don't buy a new hb before trying it.

Originally posted by playas View Post
              How does the seth sound in a strat?

Looks really cool.

I love the way that from where you took that, it looks like the light coloured bobins are all the same colour and if you don't look carefully the bridge pickup could be a single coil.
              Thanks I made it purposely in order to achieve that appearance

i want a 9k+ seth lover
              Originally posted by playas View Post

Haha, so do I!
              >9K Seth Lover is a great tool. Maybe the best in the Duncan hb line along with Antiquities.

zz0.nqwwyyaf45zz
              www.tonejourney.com
              www.instagram.com/tonejournei​

Comment

Nienturi, thx for sharing: I find your tonejourney page really interesting.

If I can share something too: when you want to measure the capacitance of a pickup, it's a good idea to use a frequency beyond the resonance of the pickup... 10khz is a good choice for that if the meter offers this option. At lower frequencies, meters are fooled by inductors and measure absurd values - unless a pickup keeps working with a broken wire, in which case it behaves like a capacitor even at low frequencies.

FWIW. HTH.
                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

i have a few seth bridge models and they arent 9k, one is 8.3k and the other is right around there too.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                    Nienturi, thx for sharing: I find your tonejourney page really interesting.

If I can share something too: when you want to measure the capacitance of a pickup, it's a good idea to use a frequency beyond the resonance of the pickup... 10khz is a good choice for that if the meter offers this option. At lower frequencies, meters are fooled by inductors and measure absurd values - unless a pickup keeps working with a broken wire, in which case it behaves like a capacitor even at low frequencies.

FWIW. HTH.
                    Man, your words for my blog is very meaningful because i always keep following your posts here. Thank you so much for your advice. I'll look how to do it. BTW, i know my capacitance measurements are not right. Values must be in piko farads, not micro farads. I just note them to compare.

Someday, i hope to achieve my own bode plots and resonance frequency values, too
                    www.tonejourney.com

Comment

i have a few seth bridge models and they arent 9k, one is 8.3k and the other is right around there too.
                      My last measurement was million years ago, tonight i can re measure it though the jack
                      www.tonejourney.com

Comment

Mine from the Custom Shop are in the low 8s...I don't know if I'd like them hotter, though, as they are super touch sensitive.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i like the ones i have in the guitars they are in. a set of seths in a washburn, kinda sg like. and a bridge in a custom fendery thing paired with a cool rails neck and a5 middle pup i wound. in my lp i would like a little more juice. ive had some cs overwound antiquitys and they suited my needs better, i assume a 9k seth would fit a similar role

Comment

Working...
                          X