Blank back JBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank back JBs

I need some help with these. These JBs came out of an early 80s lp. I know they are not original, but I never saw JB’s with a blank back. Can anyone shed some light on these? Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Early 80's could be real. My Seymour-wound JB from that era had "The JB Model" sticker. Those look like they could be the earliest MJ-wound JBs ever. I don't know which year they finally had stamped baseplates, however.

Comment

If "blank back" means non engraved baseplates, it seems normal for pickups of the 80's. The very first / oldest Duncan's had oval stickers like the one shown in my avatar but a paper sticker with ink was the only indicator of the model otherwise (and both weren't systematically present on all baseplates: some had only one sticker, at least for those that I had in hand).
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
        If "blank back" means non engraved baseplates, it seems normal for pickups of the 80's. The very first / oldest Duncan's had oval stickers like the one shown in my avatar but a paper sticker with ink was the only indicator of the model otherwise (and both weren't systematically present on all baseplates: some had only one sticker, at least for those that I had in hand).
        I thought the blue sticker in your avatar was used for rewinds and repairs? (Which is how Duncan started business - I believe the blue sticker is from before they had any Duncan models.)

Comment

Trash fakes. I'll give $20 a piece for them. Send me a PM if interested....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I thought the blue sticker in your avatar was used for rewinds and repairs? (Which is how Duncan started business - I believe the blue sticker is from before they had any Duncan models.)
            Well, the oval sticker in my avatar has the same "S" logo than in this ad from 1979, mentioning "replacement pickups":

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Y_bcbohoK2...uncan+1979.JPG

Furthermore and for instance, my oldest 59's came either with a mere square paper sticker mentioning "59" (how surprising) either with this paper sticker AND the oval one with blue text. :-)

EDIT - I've corrected the paragraph above because my old memory failed! I remembered paper stickers as saying "SH-1" but the text was "59B" or "59N" in dark red ink.

And here is another ad from 1979 evoking the "59" model aforementioned (first name in the list of humbuckers):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan Ad 1979.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	6251093
            Last edited by freefrog; 10-01-2023, 08:00 AM.

Comment

BTW, if ever the pic above is hard to read, the list of humbuckers was:

*59 Model, ld & rhy., dble creme or zebra
              *Jazz Model, ld & rhy.
              *The Mag (Strat sound)
              *The JB Model (Harmonics)
              *The Duncan Custom (Van Halen)
              *Seymourized II (series parallel)
              *The Duncan Distortion

All priced from 60 to 80 bucks. 70 for most of 'em.

And "pickup rewinding service still available"...

Interestingly, these words from 1979 are still there in the current Duncan discourse, like this depiction of the JB: "Meanwhile the hot output pushes your amp just that little bit harder for more sustain and harmonics".

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Well, the oval sticker in my avatar has the same "S" logo than in this ad from 1979, mentioning "replacement pickups":

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Y_bcbohoK2...uncan+1979.JPG

Furthermore and for instance, my oldest 59's came either with a mere square paper sticker mentioning "59" (how surprising) either with this paper sticker AND the oval one with blue text. :-)

EDIT - I've corrected the paragraph above because my old memory failed! I remembered paper stickers as saying "SH-1" but the text was "59B" or "59N" in dark red ink.

And here is another ad from 1979 evoking the "59" model aforementioned (first name in the list of humbuckers):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan Ad 1979.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	6251093
                Red ink, wow, that would be the same time as my "The JB Model" which is also red ink. No winder initial on those? I think those would be Seymour-wound?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Red ink, wow, that would be the same time as my "The JB Model" which is also red ink. No winder initial on those? I think those would be Seymour-wound?
                  No winder initial on those that I mentioned. So, I also suppose all these puppies came to life in Seymour's hands, albeit the only to know are the Gods of Thunder - and Rock n'Roll. ;-)

Comment

To OP: Your pickups were made between 1979 (tag with winder initial started) and 1983 (the Big back logo started).

I see a lot of historian here, so i post my timeline in case some folks can contibute:

I still look for people to confirm or add something:

1. no backlogo, long tag with full model model name: 1976 to late 70ies

2. no backlogo, small tag without winder initial from late 70 up to 1978

3. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from 1979 to 1983

4. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder initial, smooth magnet from 1983 to 1987

5. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with rubber stamped winder initial from 1988 to 1996 (1989 the silkscreened logo on the bobbin started, but not on 59s except on OEMs)

6. small backlogo with MiA, narrower labelprinted tag with winder (but L for Leesona on 59s??) from 1996 to ?

7. small backlogo with MiA, narrower labelprinted tag without winder from ? to 2001 for OEM guitars.

8. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with needle printed SN and Model from 2002 to ?

9. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to ?

Last edited by hamerfan; 10-02-2023, 02:30 AM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Mine, bought new in the late 80s, had the same sticker, too bad I sold it for almost nothing 15 years ago or so, I'm still eating my balls

Comment

@hamerfan: thx for sharing! That said, the "no backlogo" mention seems misleading to me since most of my "prehistoric" Duncan's had the oval sticker with blue text pictured in my avatar: albeit removable, it is a back logo and it was clearly sticked on Duncan models, not on rewound pickups coming from elsewhere...

Comment

i think by back logo, he means imprinted baseplate.

Comment

Approximate value. People on my lp forum are not very accommodating and rude

Comment

$120-$160 maybe. Some people have been getting up to $200 for one. The buyers probably aren't aware that for $180 MJ can hand wind you new ones, custom, and signed.

Comment

Working...
                              X