banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they make metal-oriented Filtertron replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't the Metal Fatigue just a JB with some different polepieces?

Maybe you don't like it for yourself, but plenty of Metal bands use the JB and get great tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Isn't the Metal Fatigue just a JB with some different polepieces?

Maybe you don't like it for yourself, but plenty of Metal bands use the JB and get great tones.
      In the bridge, I usually have to shelve it aggressively on the lows to get it tight. It's a great rock pickup for mid tempo music, but not ideal for metal, IMO. Dated sound. I like it better in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

It's certainly one of the coolest looking SD pickups.

I didn't remember seeing these in Holdsworth signature Carvins so the look surprises me a bit.
        I think it's predecessor was a dual-screw 59n in the bridge, so there's that. That's kind of what I meant by you can ask for what you want if you go Custom Shop. You can tell them to change the coils, change the magnets, or better, just tell them the sound and they'll apply 40 years of internally-documented recipes to get that sound to give you what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I think it's predecessor was a dual-screw 59n in the bridge, so there's that. That's kind of what I meant by you can ask for what you want if you go Custom Shop. You can tell them to change the coils, change the magnets, or better, just tell them the sound and they'll apply 40 years of internally-documented recipes to get that sound to give you what you want.
          Until I played the PATB Original, it probably would have been some combination of the Demon and the Full Shred.

I feel like with so many SD models out now there's probably an existing model that will get me 99% there.

Comment

Maybe the Hot Filtertron 'Psyclone'?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

In the bridge, I usually have to shelve it aggressively on the lows to get it tight. It's a great rock pickup for mid tempo music, but not ideal for metal, IMO. Dated sound. I like it better in the neck.
              Michael Amott! Gojira! Alex Skolnick!

Comment

Interestingly at 12K that is a lot hotter than the TV Jone Classic Plus and Powertron, which both sit at around ~8K. TV Jones did make a Powertron Plus for Rev Billy but that only creeps up to ~9K.

Comment

Powertron Plus is TV's hottest, no? I bet it chugs to a modest degree

Comment

As long as it's PAF-ish, I'm sure I can make it chug.

But the thing is I like my guitars to have more or less the same output level so that I don't have to completely redo my settings every time I plug in a new guitar. I like different EQ's for guitars, but if one of my guitars has a Duncan '59 and the other a Duncan Invader, it just wouldn't work for me.

And right now, my Gibson has a 500T.

I already passed on the Cabronita. Really cool-looking guitar, but the speciality pickups really would have me limited in options, and I hate that. I like to be able to swap pickups to my heart's content.

Comment

Working...
                    X