Pickup rabbit hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup rabbit hole

OK, so my journey is getting more anal by the day, not my fault, if there was only one guitar pickup type in the entire world then I wouldn't have this problem

Charvel natural series, roasted mahogany body, roasted maple neck. Had a C5 in the bridge...swapped it out for various pickups....then realized the C5 was the one for this guitar.

Still, I think the C5 a bit too powerful. So plopped in the Custom Hybrid......I can hear the similarities for sure. Finding it collapses on the pick attack a bit too much, not quite close enough to the C5 base tone. Need a bit more meat on the bone.

So, I'm thinking a C5 with a lower wind in the custom shop. They said they could get it around 12K but it would increase the brightness, which I wonder if its too much. But more importantly, I'm looking for the C5 tone with a bit more articulation, but less articulation than the Custom hybrid.

So 14.4K output C5 vs 11.2K output custom hybrid. Somewhere in between that is my happy place for the balance of power vs. articulation? Am I going nuts here?

Nothing wrong with trying a lower wound Custom 5. The custom shop does well with simple objectives like that and you should get what you want.

Another thing you can try is swap in an A3 to the stock Custom 5 to drop the output. But that won't necessarily make it more articulate and it will add some mids.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 11-02-2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking Custom Custom or regular Custom, just to see if anything in the line can get you close. Custom will be a little more articulate than the C5 to me because the Custom lacks the huge mid scoop. Haven't tried the Custom Custom but it seems to have more mids and highs while being lower output.

Comment

Swap the A5 in the Custom 5 for a UOA5...problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          Swap the A5 in the Custom 5 for a UOA5...problem solved
          Actually did this...and while the output was lower, I didn't like the tone and feel of the UOA5 as much as I do the C5.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Nothing wrong with trying a lower wound Custom 5. The custom shop does well with simple objectives like that and you should get what you want.

Another thing you can try is swap in an A3 to the stock Custom 5 to drop the output. But that won't necessarily make it more articulate and it will add some mids.

Magnet swaps definitely affect the tone, but I'm fine with the tone of the standard A5 magnet - its got that smooth scooped tone, which I like, but want just a bit more articulation. The Hybrid has that articulation but not quite as smooth as the C5. Seems a lower output C5 is what I want, although $190 + tax and shipping is a tough swallow on a pickup.

Comment

SH6n /SH7 with a mag swap?
              Never tried it with an A5 though

Comment

Originally posted by SF audio View Post
                Magnet swaps definitely affect the tone, but I'm fine with the tone of the standard A5 magnet - its got that smooth scooped tone, which I like, but want just a bit more articulation. The Hybrid has that articulation but not quite as smooth as the C5. Seems a lower output C5 is what I want, although $190 + tax and shipping is a tough swallow on a pickup.
                I know, there's no compromise. I'd say go ahead and get the custom shop 12k C5. Like I said, in my experience the custom shop does really well with simple yet specific objectives like that. You're likely to get exactly what you want, and it will be cool having a custom pickup. But it's a bit expensive. Otherwise you're left with tinkering options which probably won't get you all the way there.

Edit: my last rob option suggestion is Saturday Night Special with double thick A5. The SNS wind sounds custom-y to my ear, it's wound to 9.75, and the double thick A5 will make it punch higher than that.
                Last edited by Clint 55; 11-03-2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I'd say talk to the custom shop and explain exactly what you want sound wise without limiting them to the custom wind.

Comment

I'm honestly feeling some sort of cap that is taking just a hair of the high end off is really the way to go here. Leave the pickup alone. Something far more surgical than the mag or the wind itself that will mess with that glorious C5 tone baser the OP wants...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You might also consider the Perpetual Burn. It has the A5 attack, with (IMO) a little better clarity & articulation than a Custom 5.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I think a Full Shred would be just the ticket, it is if I recall, just a C5 with two rows of hex screws which will brighten it up a decent amount
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                        X