No announcement yet.

New PAF Variant from Dimarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think that was a fender thing. seth had a spec of 5k turns per bobbin. a p90 had a 10k turn spec, so he split it between the two bobbins and p90s and pafs were machine wound. granted it wasnt auto stop so someone started and stopped the machine which is part of the reason things are all over the place

Comment

Sounds like the only niche these are filling is double cream PAF. So DMz is trying to take down lawsuits by decreasing the need for other winder's PAFs in double cream; now you can get them from DMz

Comment

These look really nice!

Now, just imagine this: if they sound really good, and are only a c note a piece, the boutique guys are gonna take a sizeable hit.

I've always wondered what'd happen if dimarzio just bit the bullet and made a period/spec correct PAF. Now we get to find out!

I'd give em a shot.

I hope they offer them in all the colors and covers though.

So, to recap, dimazio owns PAF, double cream, AND they're now making period correct stuff.

Can anyone say "public enemy number one"? LOL
        Last edited by Juanhanglo; 01-27-2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

There isn't just one "PAF" sound, so DMz hasn't suddenly taken all the other winders out. They just reduced some of the angst of getting a PAF type in double cream. Also, by way of example, IME DMz' previous PAF pickups were more unclear/muddier/undetailed than any one of Duncan's various equivalent PAF types that I tried in the same guitar.

Comment

I like the PAF 36th Anni and the PAF Pro. Dimarzio has a tendency to make non-traditional low output pickups and just call them PAF-whatever. The ones I tried sound good, tho.

Comment

Also what's the deal on the A2? I thought DMZ hated A2 so much they invented a patent.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I just took a set of 57's out of my Les Paul. Were these DiMarzio's?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I like the PAF 36th Anni and the PAF Pro. Dimarzio has a tendency to make non-traditional low output pickups and just call them PAF-whatever. The ones I tried sound good, tho.
                  Yep, they call them "PAF" without dots because it's a DiMarzio trademark... and the absence of dots in this acronym allows to apply it to PU's whose design / materials / construction are not quite the same than in Gibson "P.A.F.'s" (like the 36th, with its added slugs between magnetic poles while there's no keeper bar in this model)...

In some way, it's more honest that what some other brands and winders do by putting "P.A.F." stickers under humbuckers whose specs are not "vintage correct" either. :-P

That said, I still find these "new" DM double cream less attractive than my old double cream SH1 or than the "true colors" shining through Duncan Seth Lover's ( https://guitar.com/guides/essential-...ut-seth-lover/ )... YMMV, of course. :-)
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    Also what's the deal on the A2? I thought DMZ hated A2 so much they invented a patent.
                    They're hypocrites, TBH. I guess they realized "whatever sells". They've been using A2 on single coils for a while and calling them "Area" whatever, I think, argumenting they have less string pull, so that'w why they use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      ...they invented a patent.
                      How can you invent a patent? I don't think it's possible.
                      You invent something and you get a patent to stop others from copying, manufacturing, selling or importing your invention without your permission.

Comment

Anyone notice that those are NOT 'cream' colored, but 'relic white'? Look like cream to me, so I wonder if this is a response to the lawsuit?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                          How can you invent a patent? I don't think it's possible.
                          You invent something and you get a patent to stop others from copying, manufacturing, selling or importing your invention without your permission.
                          No. Cream coloured humbuckers copied from what earlier Gibson pickups with the cover removed looked like was not an invention. But when Dimarizio patented cream coloured humbuckers? That was the entirety of Dimarzio's 'invention'.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

No. Cream coloured humbuckers copied from what earlier Gibson pickups with the cover removed looked like was not an invention. But when Dimarizio patented cream coloured humbuckers? That was the entirety of Dimarzio's 'invention'.
                            Trademarked a color, not "patented" it.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              Not an invention. They took a particular color combined with a dual humbucker bobbin appearance as a trademark, which a company can legitimately can do.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Not an invention. They took a particular color combined with a dual humbucker bobbin appearance as a trademark, which a company can legitimately can do.
                                Not an invention. And they copied what Gibson had already done and called it on their own. Not legitimate.
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X