No announcement yet.

Pickups for progressive/math metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really understand what the confusion is about, I know that there's a lot of subdivisions of subdivisions in music but that's because there's a lot of different types of music.

It's like saying you want something green, vs you want something that's a matte lime green. It's not "inventing new words because you want to feel you discovered something" it's just using more words for something more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I think it's because musicians tend to be very egotistical and want to feel that they have invented something new.
      I think if you listened to some Math Metal you would quickly realize that these bands do not fit into traditional metal categories. They use a lot of odd timings but are not prog-rock or prog-metal by any stretch of the imagination. They also have a more hardcore punk influence than a lot of mainstream metal styles.

The OP was definitely giving a definitive description of what he was trying to achieve, seeing some Math Metal bands have a very eclectic range of guitar tones going from clear jazzy chords to extremely downturned rhythms. I think his description of his sonic goal was spot on and helped people understand the direction he desired to obtain with his sound and make accurate recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I think if you listened to some Math Metal you would quickly realize that these bands do not fit into traditional metal categories. They use a lot of odd timings but are not prog-rock or prog-metal by any stretch of the imagination. They also have a more hardcore punk influence than a lot of mainstream metal styles.

The OP was definitely giving a definitive description of what he was trying to achieve, seeing some Math Metal bands have a very eclectic range of guitar tones going from clear jazzy chords to extremely downturned rhythms. I think his description of his sonic goal was spot on and helped people understand the direction he desired to obtain with his sound and make accurate recommendations.
        I hear that, and (or but) metal and what is even considered “metal” has changed and evolved continuously ever since 1970. I mean Sammy Hagar sang the song Heavy Metal in the movie Heavy Metal and most of the music in that movie now might not even be considered rock much less metal. People can call what they do whatever they want, I’m just glad there is good guitar music being played today.

Comment

Originally posted by strat dude View Post
          Most of the music in that movie now might not even be considered rock much less metal.
          I still consider Don Felder heavy metal

Comment

And maybe the Eagles' "Witchy Woman" should be given a different genre name than their "Peaceful Easy Feeling" since they are so different!

Come on. We don't need to give some music a different genre just because it has more treble or bass or distortion or a different time signature than another piece of music. Some basic categories are fine, but let's not go overboard.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
              by and large the genre-naming phenomenon isn't about bands trying to plant a flag on "new" territory, it's just a way of describing a sound.
              I've never seen it put a better way. A+ would read again

Comment

And maybe the Eagles' "Witchy Woman" should be given a different genre name than their "Peaceful Easy Feeling" since they are so different!

Come on. We don't need to give some music a different genre just because it has more treble or bass or distortion or a different time signature than another piece of music. Some basic categories are fine, but let's not go overboard.
                Then don't listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post

Then don't listen to it.
                  Don't be so immature.
                  It's not about listening to different types of music or even enjoying them, it's about all the silly needless names.

Comment

it's about all the silly needless names.
                    It is actually about helping someone find a pickup for Math Metal and it would probably be more productive if we got back on subject.

Comment

Don't be so immature.
                      It's not about listening to different types of music or even enjoying them, it's about all the silly needless names.
                      'needless' is debatable and shows a desire to be willfully uninformed.

Like, i don't really listen to black metal much, but I do like a lot of blackened death metal bands. I know what that means. Is 3 words too many for you to digest?

Comment

It is actually about helping someone find a pickup for Math Metal and it would probably be more productive if we got back on subject.
                        Pegasus or Nazgul + Sentient, imo

Or parallel axis distortion + the parallel axis stack single (two very underrated models)

Comment

I still consider Don Felder heavy metal

Shout out to Deathproof, gotta be one of the worst movies ever made.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

That's right but I can't help him if I don't know what "math metal" is. We just got a bit sidetracked with the terminology issue.

Comment

To add to the debate... when I hear "Math Metal", I either think of None-era Meshuggah or Dillinger Escape Plan. Not sure which one is "Math Metal"? Meshuggah is certainly more "Metal".

Or maybe Blotted Science.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-10-2024, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X