DiMarzio bobbins and polepieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio bobbins and polepieces?

I always wondered what made DiMarzio choose certain polepieces or bobbins in their design.

For example, let's compare the Super 2 and the PAF Pro. I mean, there's the obvious difference between the oversized Ceramic on the Super 2 vs. the slightly oversized Alnico 5 on the PAF Pro. But the DCR is pretty similar, right? So I would assume it's 42AWG on both. I mean, that's obviously assuming, but it's not important.

What makes me wonder is why they went with the headless tubby hex screws on the Super 2 vs. the slimmer but wider-headed hex screws on the PAF Pro. What's the difference?

I used to think they only used the headless hexes on the pickups with oversized Ceramic magnets (like the Super Distortion, Evolution, D-Activator, etc.), but the Titan, for example, has the same screws as the PAF Pro with the same oversized Ceramic magnet as the Super 2.

So what's the difference?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-18-2024, 09:34 AM.

Are the PAF Pro heads larger? (Don't have one, just looks the same to me.)

The difference between hex vs screw vs larger head, etc. has to do with the magnetic field it creates. Magnet affects power/output strength and tone. Wire/wind affects output and tone. It's much more detailed and nuanced than that, but if I had to generalize, that's how I think of it.

Comment

Thicker hex poles (i.e. large set screws) = more mass within the bobbin = higher inductance = warmer/hotter pickup

Oversized ceramic is going to be much more powerful than a slightly oversized A5 magnet.

Also, you can't always assume that "same DCR = same gauge wire", especially with DiMarzio. However, in the case of the PAF Pro and Super 2, they may very well be using the same "gauge" wire, but there are also variations within specific "gauges" that can influence the final DCR and tone.

Might be fun to mag-swap a Super 2 and PAF Pro, though...

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Are the PAF Pro heads larger?
        The heads are larger. They screws on the PAF Pro are kinda like the Duncan hex screws, except slighly longer, but not as long as the Duncan flathead screws. The screws on the Super 2 don't have a head. They're just all thread with the hex socket on the top. I think the thread is wider, though. Kinda like the Invader poles.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          Thicker hex poles (i.e. large set screws) = more mass within the bobbin = higher inductance = warmer/hotter pickup
          ​That's what I was wondering. I think the PAF Pro's screws are thinner, but they have a head. But the screws on the Super 2 are fatter. Don't know which of the two are longer since I've never taken apart my Evolution, Super 2, or D Activator. I probably should, but then, I don't have a PAF Pro or Dominion anymore to compare.

Also, you can't always assume that "same DCR = same gauge wire", especially with DiMarzio. However, in the case of the PAF Pro and Super 2, they may very well be using the same "gauge" wire, but there are also variations within specific "gauges" that can influence the final DCR and tone.
          Well aware. I wasn't imiplying I knew they were even a similar wind. I just assumed, but I could very well be wrong. But even if they're the same wind, the screws are different, so that ought to make some diference.

Might be fun to mag-swap a Super 2 and PAF Pro, though...
          ​Who knows if it's even possible. I know DiMarzio sometimes epoxy the larger Ceramic magnets to the baseplates. And I also know DiMarzio magnets are slightly off-spec in dimensions compared to Gibson and Duncan.

Comment

To me, the large hex screws in a Super Dist are "largely" like a double row of slugs: more inductance and therefore warmer tone, yes... but with a same inductance and poles of a same alloy, a double row of regular screw poles would be darker sounding IME.

Also, the inductance of the "screw coil" depends on the keeper bar / pole shoe underneath - knowing that some PU's don't host any keeper bar and that DM has changed the absence of this element in a bonus feature through the "airing" principle...

BTW and while we're at it, DiMarzio often uses added slugs between magnetic poles to increase the ferrous content inside the bobbins and therefore the inductance of the coils. :-)
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
            X