El Diablo with Ceramic or A8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Diablo with Ceramic or A8?

I've played an El Diablo. And I've played the SLUG. My favorite pickups are Jim Wagner Ironmans. But I've also loved the El Diablo. One of my favorite versions of the Ironman was with an A8. So I'm thinking of asking Duncan to make me an El Diablo with A8 or Ceramic for varity lol. Anyone else tried anything close to this?
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

You don't need the custom shop if you just want a different magnet in a pup...you could change the magnet yourself. It's easy to do.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

And how are you hoping the sound of the El Diablo would change?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        You don't need the custom shop if you just want a different magnet in a pup...you could change the magnet yourself. It's easy to do.
        Is is that easy when the blades of the pickup are the magnets? (I've never tried swapping the magnets in the bobbins on those types.)

Comment

the coil isnt against the magnets so im guessing you could do it? but ive never tried it before and the mags seem to be in there pretty damn good so, might be worth a few extra bucks to get it done right

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Is is that easy when the blades of the pickup are the magnets? (I've never tried swapping the magnets in the bobbins on those types.)
            Typically, no, very much not. Many pickups wound around magnets wind directly on the magnets for space/coil geometry reasons. Great way to nick an interior winding and have a dead pickup. Even when they aren't built that way, the plastic former is often thin, and the pickup can collapse and you can't get a new magnet in, again ruining the pickup.

I don't know how they constructed the El Diablo, but I'd definitely ask Seymour Duncan before tackling that one.

Comment

Good points.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post

Typically, no, very much not. Many pickups wound around magnets wind directly on the magnets for space/coil geometry reasons. Great way to nick an interior winding and have a dead pickup. Even when they aren't built that way, the plastic former is often thin, and the pickup can collapse and you can't get a new magnet in, again ruining the pickup.

I don't know how they constructed the El Diablo, but I'd definitely ask Seymour Duncan before tackling that one.
                FWIW El Diablo, Slug, etc. the magents are in the middle of the bobbin, the wire is around the outside of the bobbin, so they don't touch. I just don't know how hard it is to get the mag out of the bobbin and put a different one in.

Comment

^^^^ Eye Candy supreme.

Comment

Honestly just want to see what it would sound like. Compare it to my 22K Wagner Ironman with the same magnets. I asked Wagner if he'd make me a rail version of that pickup and he does not lol. So Duncan may be up.
                    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
                      So I'm thinking of asking Duncan to make me an El Diablo with A8 or Ceramic for varity lol. Anyone else tried anything close to this?
                      Would an El Diablo with a Ceramic magnet pretty much be a neck position Slug? The DCR specs are identical…

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        An El Diablo with A8 bar magnet poles would be over the top. In so many ways.

Better yet, how about a Neodymium poled Slug?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDemanic View Post

An El Diablo with A8 bar magnet poles would be over the top. In so many ways.

Better yet, how about a Neodymium poled Slug?
                          Then you could just stick the guitar on the side of the 'fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            This exactly...what is the goal here?

Dual exposed A8 mags that close to the strings is going to be a very different animal than the more traditionally structured Ironman pickups with an A8 and standard poles

Comment

I bet double A8 or Ceramic magnets close to the strings is going to be string-pull galore.

Comment

Working...
                              X