banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 or 59/Custom Hybrid for alder superstrat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 or 59/Custom Hybrid for alder superstrat?

Hi, I have an alder superstrat, maple fingerboard 24 jumbo frets, HSH with double locking tremolo. Already came with a APH1n which sounds fantastic. Middle single coil is nice too I guess. Its stock bridge humbucker though is not a good match for it.
    I have to boost the 4khz band by 7dB for it to sound good and also cut the bass by 3dB. Also performed a 50's wiring of sorts.It's Yamaha OEM but it's really similar to a DiMarzio Norton, its DC resistance is 12.54 kΩ and has Alnico V magnet.
    Which one would you suggest, '78 trembuckern '78 set or TB16? Both sound like an interesting idea. (Maybe CustomCustom isn't t tight enough in the bass?). Need 4 conductor for my tone knob split-coil.
    I play either through a JCM900 or a DualRecto live.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ARS5150; 03-26-2024, 10:08 AM. Reason: Edited to add more data

Welcome to the forum

'78 model. Trembucker would be fine. I would not split a '78 model. it's bright and thin enough as-is.

My first thought when you said you needed +7db of 4khz was Custom Custom, but you sound like that's not your jam.

Comment

The Hybrid has definitely the bigger lowend, and since you cut that already, i'd go '78...

The SH-11 is the best tonal match to the APH-1 and the lowend could be fine in a 25.5" scale guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
        The Hybrid has definitely the bigger lowend, and since you cut that already, i'd go '78...

The SH-11 is the best tonal match to the APH-1 and the lowend could be fine in a 25.5" scale guitar.
        It is. An SH-11 and APH-1 is one of my favorite sets in an alder 25.5" scale guitar. But I don't go after massive low end.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Custom family is everyone's jam. The problem is some players just don't know it yet.

Comment

wow, great suggestions as usual. I really value your experience. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
            X