banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz and JB HB in a PRS SE with Unexpected Performance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz and JB HB in a PRS SE with Unexpected Performance.

Had a Jazz neck and JB bridge Humbucker set installed in a PRS SE McCarty, (2 vol, 2 tone/push pull) ,by a music store service center and notice that when in the center setting, both humbuckers, that when ever so slightly rolling volume from full volume down, that the tone and dynamics (seems like the bass mostly), drops about 50%. the sound becomes thin. I opened the back cover and looked at the wiring. it looks like they are wired the same as SD gives in their diagram. I can see the volume pots are 500k. The undesired effect seems to be way more linear when selecting just one or the other HB.
    Does this sound normal?
    I'm thinking of re-wiring them to the exact same way as the SD diagram.
    The main difference I see from the SD diagram to the diagram from PRS is the cap for the SD is wired from center tone lug to ground. On PRS, the cap is from center tone lug to the hot of each respective volume. (Also see that PRS uses a resistor in its push/pull tone)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2H_3G_2V_2TppSPL.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	6275392

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (6).png
Views:	126
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	6275393

To clarify you are saying that when you roll down the volume the tone becomes more bright??? If so the wire between the tone pot and volume pot might be located on the wrong lug on the volume pot. It might be on the middle lug and it needs to be on the outer lug.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

are Treble bleed caps installed?

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
        are Treble bleed caps installed?
        Yes, currently between Center tone lug and hot. Just like it shows on my second diagram. The SD diagram shows the caps wired to ground

Comment

Take a picture and post it here

Comment

Originally posted by Tynr1975 View Post
            Yes, currently between Center tone lug and hot. Just like it shows on my second diagram. The SD diagram shows the caps wired to ground
            Treble bleed is different. There would also be a cap from volume input lug to volume output lug; nothing to do with the tone control.

Comment

I have seen a similar affect with 2-vol guitars. As you roll back one volume, the output actually rises slightly, then comes back down again. I assume that this is because as you start to roll back the pot, you're introducing a bit of resistance in the circuit, and isolating one pup from the other.

Comment

Does this happen just when you roll down just the JB volume or also when you just roll down the Jazz volume?
                If it mainly happens when you roll down the JB volume slightly, it's because at that point the two pups are more closely balanced (output-wise) with each other and you are experiencing more of the parallel effect (thinner, brighter, less output).
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X