I just "discovered" JJN.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just "discovered" JJN.

Late night. Couldn't sleep. I was looking up some tech info on a Duncan pup and saw the latest splash screen for the "JJN P90 Silencer" pickup. I love that single pup Gold Top Epiphone, but I've never heard of JJN himself. (Jared James Nichols.) So I looked up a couple of YT vids. The first thing I like about this guy is that he doesn't use a pick. (I don't either, so I thought that was cool.)

There's this video interview with Ola Englund where he's talking about that. But the coolest thing in this video is around the 16 - 17 minute mark, where he's talking about this guitar he's playing. It's a 50's Gibson that literally got dropped in someone's yard from a tornado.

The video is worth a watch just for this amazing story.

This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite people.

Ola and JJN, good time well spent.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I saw this too, amazing player with great energy, and that has to be the coolest guitar history ever (and the guitar itself ain't half bad)!
      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Yeah. It's funny though . . . The JJN Epiphone, comes with a Duncan P-90, but it's not the JJN P-90 Silencer. Seems odd. I love that "Aged Pelham" Blue one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Epiphone JJN Aged Pelham.png
Views:	117
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	6276910

Comment

Jared brings the old school rawk vibes.

The LP doesn't get much more vibey than that. What I can't get my head around that the pups and wiring harness didn't get trashed in the tornado - they don't make 'em like they used to?
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I've seen JJN in several interviews and, besides his obvious talent, he just seems like such a nice, down to earth, personable guy. Not a lot of ego getting in the way.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

^^^ Yup. Just in one interview, I picked up on that vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Yeah. It's funny though . . . The JJN Epiphone, comes with a Duncan P-90, but it's not the JJN P-90 Silencer. Seems odd. I love that "Aged Pelham" Blue one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Epiphone JJN Aged Pelham.png
Views:	117
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	6276910
                that guitar came out before they designed the silencers, also guessing there is a cost factor involved

Comment

He also strikes me as the kind of guy who, if you were to hang back stage outside of a show, would pass you his guitar and say, 'ok, let's see what ya got; guitar's blowing your mind, right? Haha, don't worry about that, just pick some notes'.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

He's a really nice guy, too.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X