Duncan -> PRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan -> PRS

I have a PRS SE Swamp Ash Special. Very decent guitar, but my favorite is the DGT. I like the pickup configuration better on the SAS than the DGT; which is why I chose it. I was wondering what would be the closest Duncan humbucker to a DGT humbucker. The USA PRS DGT and not the SE model.
    -Butch

I've never played one. However, the interwebs say basic specs are an overwound PAF-style (9Kish) with Alnico 2. Brighter than a McCarty, but still warm. My guess might be a Slash bridge...

Comment

Originally posted by skelt101 View Post
      I've never played one. However, the interwebs say basic specs are an overwound PAF-style (9Kish) with Alnico 2. Brighter than a McCarty, but still warm. My guess might be a Slash bridge...
      Maybe Pearly Gates?
      -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post

Maybe Pearly Gates?
        YMMV, but I'm going to stick with the Slash bridge. Not enough winds on the Pearly Gates. If you wanted something with a thinner sound, maybe look at the '78.

Comment

Originally posted by skelt101 View Post
          But which Slash bridge?

Comment

Does it have to be a Duncan?

Comment

DGT pups are next to impossible to find used, if a Slash I'd say the 2.0 I think the DGT is hotter than the original Slash pickup. DGT is a 9k Alnico II pickup in the bridge, some say the PG has similar character but is not has hot or "loud" as the DGT. Maybe the Custom Shop could do a hotter Pearly Gates. PRS pickups despite their differences from one another do all seem to share a quality that makes them unique to PRS. I would guess the 59/09 is probably the closest thing you can get, and I would also guess that it is pretty close. You may have to order covers separately for those if you want them. Personally I hate the "squabbin" square bobbins, but some people love them so...as far as the neck pickup, I believe it to be the same as the older Swamp Ash Special and Johnny Hiland neck pickup 7.3k A2, maybe they tweaked it a bit but more a standard PAF style.
              Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
              Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
              Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
              Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

This is about as much info as you'll get from PRS, but it does show at least a comparison to some other pickups and it shows that they are a bit hotter than the 85/15 or 58/15. 408s are what Simon McBride has in his custom Singlecuts if you want an example of those...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by soulforger; 05-04-2024, 11:19 AM.
                Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

id guess a slash 2.0 as well, a2 with a little hotter wind than a paf

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    Does it have to be a Duncan?
                    Not necessarily. The others I was thinking were a DiMarzio Air Norton for the neck and Air Zone for the bridge. But, given their DC values, they might be too hot.
                    -Butch

Comment

Working...
                    X