Chime in SH-1 '59 Model Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chime in SH-1 '59 Model Users

A guy local to me has an unopened Vintage Blues set (59 neck and bridge) for sale at a good price. I have not used either in years and honestly not sure what they sound like, it's been that long.

So, for those that do use them, what's the consensus on them in a Les Paul? Looking for them to go in my Goldtop. Do you have problems with too much low end from the neck or too much top end from the bridge? Are they really as scooped as some say they are? FTR, I usually find the graphical representation of a pickup's EQ to be inaccurate on the Duncan site.

i think a set of 59s sound great in a les paul. they sound like some version of a paf. they also take mag swaps very well.

Comment

I haven't used the '59 neck in a Les Paul ever. My guess is yeah, I think it would be bassy.

As far as the '59B, yes. It's scoopy compared to, say, a JB. But it's not that scoopy compared to something like a Strat single coil. The thing about the '59B is its scoopiness leans more towards lack of low-mid mud and emphasis on treble twang and attack (as opposed to something like the Custom 5 which leans a bit more towards low-end boominess, IMO). So it really translates into clarity and lots of sensitivity to strong/soft pick attack.

For me, the '59B is the nicest PAF-type for the bridge because of its broad EQ, treble detail, and strong output (for a PAF-type). I kinda like it being relatively scoopy, personally. If I wanted mid-focused, I'd look into something with a higher DCR and higher output, personally.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-26-2024, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I've used them in an LP (and an LP-shaped semi hollow), and they aren't bassy. They sound like good PAFs...once balanced with pickup height, they work for many types of music, except maybe extreme metal with a lot of preamp gain.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like them in a 335 style semi-hollow. I don't find them particularly bassy if you've adjusted height properly. The neck particularly can get really nice almost acoustic sounds when clean.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

59s are a great set. Perfect vintage PAF tone to my ears. I had a set in my SG for the longest time. AC/DC all day long.

I only recently swapped out the 59B for a Custom 5, because I wanted more output. I was looking for a better pup for stoner/sludge metal, and the C5 fit the bill.

But I fully plan to put the 59B into something else. It's such a good pickup.

Comment

Not really answering your specific questions. But. IMO they are the most well rounded, balanced and useful for many applications pickups possibly on the planet. I really don't think you can ever go wrong with a 59 set.

Comment

Fantastic set. I loved them.
                Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  A guy local to me has an unopened Vintage Blues set (59 neck and bridge) for sale at a good price. I have not used either in years and honestly not sure what they sound like, it's been that long.

So, for those that do use them, what's the consensus on them in a Les Paul? Looking for them to go in my Goldtop. Do you have problems with too much low end from the neck or too much top end from the bridge? Are they really as scooped as some say they are? FTR, I usually find the graphical representation of a pickup's EQ to be inaccurate on the Duncan site.
                  I have generally always liked the 59 in the bridge. Not so much in the neck. Too much low end. You can wire the neck in parallel. that works well. Or try something like a jazz or PG neck.

Comment

I have 59n in double black. It sits in a drawer but when I used it, it was perfectly fine. My guitars are usually alder or swamp ash so the low end in manageable. I had a gold-covered 59 set in an Epiphone LP several years ago. They made that guitar sound incredible.
                    -Butch

Comment

First time I tried them in my LP, I thought they should be the default set in all Gibsons. Over time, with different amps and setups, I felt the neck, while good and somewhat 'Fendery' in some ways, needed the bass end of it tamed. If I had known they were originally designed with A2s and modeled on Jeff Beck's Les Paul, I would have tried that before taking them out.

Comment

I think it's just the neck pickup where the bass is problematic, honestly. The bridge pickup is perfect, and it's not a bassy pickup whatsoever. It's very broad, open, and airy.

I bet the set with the stock A5 in the bridge and A2, 3, or 4 in the neck would be killer.

My favorite vintage output set (when I was in my PAF-y craze) was '59B/PAF 36th Anni.

Comment

I don't think the neck pickup has a problem at all if it is adjusted correctly, and if you aren't doing super high gainy stuff.

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm meeting the seller today to buy them. There's a good chance they will get installed tonight. I don't mind that they are double-black. That's a great look on a Goldtop.

Comment

Awesome! Let us know how this turns out...I bet they will sound great.

Comment

Working...
                              X