banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people talk more about Dimarzios here than Duncans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do people talk more about Dimarzios here than Duncans?

Jeez guys. I have to say that I've used DiMarzios in the past. At that time, I was just trying to get lots of gain to drive my amps. But, I switched after I found myself sounding thin next to the other guitarist in the band (this was in about '93). I tried several DiMarzios, but I was always just too thin sounding. Swapped out my PAF Pro for a JB. Great improvement, to my ears. Around '97 I decided to give DiMarzio another chance, and I left the HS-3 pups in my old Yngwie Strat. They sounded passable, just not great. I liked them humbucking, so I ordered a couple more. After about 6 months, I put my extra HS's in a guitar and sold it and sold the Yngwie Strat because I just couldn't take that narrow spectrum of tone anymore.

So, no, I don't like DiMarzios by and far. I don't dig the sound or the dubious business practices (the former is more important than the latter; I do, after all, play Fenders, too). But if YOU like them, by all means play them.

Farkus
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Ranalli,

I was ****eyed when I wrote that but reading it now it still makes sense to me. Most people who use bright distorted guitars are treble hearing deficient. I know I am and I love the JB/DD. I don't know how Seymour sets the tone on his amp so I shouldn't have included him in the group of old rockers minus some cilia. Seymour I apologize.

The point of my post is that the millenium sound is a gutsy mid range mainly cause of 4 gain stage amps table topping the sign wave (killing the treble) and most of the young guys here are looking for even more. Seymour needs to address this if he wants to be the main contributor for this decade as well.
      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I think Seymour will do ok, since now it seems that more "vintage styled" music is comming back. Emo seems to be the main thang around on MTV and such, and it seems that they're using more vintage styled gear. The Nu-Metal and the Mesa's on top of Mesa's on top of Mesa's being pushed by 60 distortion pedals fad seems to be fading, and if it does, SD will remain the leader. and I can backup B2D's saying that SD's sell more than any other pup maker. When I worked at the local music shop (which sucks now by the way) SD's and Rio Grandes were all people asked for. The metalheads didnt even know that you could change pickups, the Emo kids all wanted JB's and the Blues guys want the RG Deul Calibrated set, SSL-1's, or Ants. The Ants and JB's are probably what kept us in business .
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
          Lew, Doc, KMC, Tweed, Artie, Kent ...did I leave any thing out?
          DiMarzio has as many differently voiced pups as can be, mid heavy, mid and bass heavy (with or without extra harmonics),bright pups with scooped mids, bright pups with mids in tact ... upper mid, lower mid,wide or spiked mid, or scooped with ample bass and treble ... low output, medium output, high output, fairly flat eq, vintage voiced pups (fairly well balanced with a bit of mid dip ... think a paf),etc. So the choices for the individual to make are certainly there ... I wasn't aware that SD was lacking in any choices per se' (regarding the two pups with predominant mids) ... apparently the SD clients aren't asking for more, so they must be happy with what SD has to offer...
          So I don't get the current trend thing comparisons. I think that DMZ was just as much a part of the 80's as SD was ... funny thing, I never liked the tones that the guys were getting with their SD loaded guitars, but can I blame the pups ... probably not.
          The statement about DMZ pups being better with heavily processed stuff, and SD being better straight into the amp doesn't hold water with me, as I like my DMZs either way. To suggest that either company has any one thing in there pups that make them more suitable in a certain application; in an across the board comparison, is in itself a failling of logical thought process.
          Regarding comments of business practices ... Well, there are two sides to every story, and I don't get caught up in such dribble.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Question: Why do people talk more about Dimarzios here than Duncans?

Answer: Those of us with Duncans spend less time talking and more time playing!
            John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Peterku
              These DiMarzio vs Duncan type threads don't really have a lot of use in my opinion.
              Actaully, I think these threads have some merit. For one, they make an interesting point of discussion.
              Second, they help those of us with less pickup experience to "fill-the-gaps" of all around pickup knowledge.

Anyone who's been in the forum for any length of time knows whos opinions are noteworthy, and whos aren't.

The nice thing about the SD forum is: the vast majority of opinions are of the noteworthy variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                The statement about DMZ pups being better with heavily processed stuff, and SD being better straight into the amp doesn't hold water with me, as I like my DMZs either way. To suggest that either company has any one thing in there pups that make them more suitable in a certain application; in an across the board comparison, is in itself a failling of logical thought process.
                Regarding comments of business practices ... Well, there are two sides to every story, and I don't get caught up in such dribble.

VERY well said Kent. Another favorite of mine on this board is "Duncans let out the true tone of the guitar...Dimarzios don't".

Comment

Peterku, I don't use pickups by brand name I classify them by wire gauge first, then DC resistance, then mag type which is interchangeable. Therefore I don't feel like any brand user.

I laughed when I saw sgstrat's post even went as far as thinking he could only made it better with a caricature of Bart Simpson peeing on a DMZ.

Then I went down my mental ck list of good forum etiquette (same as yours Peter) and concluded that if sgstrat had attached such a drawing...well myself and many others would have laughed a little harder and that would have defiantly crossed the line.

I agree with you on the forum etiquette and productiveness issue, but my interpretation of sgstrats input was as well as saying Amen to a thread he enjoyed.

Man I got up from the computer to get a drink and look what my evil twin has done…he added that Bart stuff.
                  Last edited by Lightning; 06-27-2004, 04:01 PM.
                  Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                    Actaully, I think these threads have some merit. For one, they make an interesting point of discussion.
                    Second, they help those of us with less pickup experience to "fill-the-gaps" of all around pickup knowledge.

Anyone who's been in the forum for any length of time knows whos opinions are noteworthy, and whos aren't.

The nice thing about the SD forum is: the vast majority of opinions are of the noteworthy variety.
                    I feel the same way as well ...
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I think both companies are great IN there own WAY but both companies will have pickups that you dont like. I.e. For me it was the screamin demon and the dimarzio x2n but thats because they were totally what I WAS NOT after not what someone else liked or disliked. It all depends on your music style, what type of sound your after. If it ends up sounding electronic or to raw go for something that will fit your bill correctly. Also this is the only forum I know that someone would know about Dimarzios since they dont have a forum and If I cannot find a duncan that I like then I would have to ask u guys about dimarzios.
                      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                      Blackstar HT-5
                      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Working...
                      X