Lace sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lace sensors?

Hey guys, has anyone tried these pickups? Do they sound like vintage single coils, or would I be better off going with traditional passive pickups for my Strat project? I know they make a few different models, any tips on which ones I should check out? Are there other noiseless single coil models I should check out? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Lace sensors?

check out Kinman single coils...ive play a strat with a set and it was pretty impressive for being noiseless
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I like the Laces. The original Gold Lace sounds "vintage" but is somewhat smoother than ordinary single coils. The Laces often have more sustain due to their magnet construction, which makes it possible to put them very close to the strings. The Hot Golds have some more bottom end, and a throaty organic sound, which I´ve found useful, and they are almost noiseless.

Comment

flank got it right, if you want quiet vinatge single coils you have to get kinmans. The laces to me sound fake and un-natural(it's hard to explain it), its like a cardboard attack.
        Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
        The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

i liked the kinmans alot......but lace is also worth checkin out.....they have a unconventional sound, but its not bad. lemme just put it this way, i dont want more than one guitar with lace pickups in it, but i wouldnt mind havin ONE just because they have a differnt and cool vibe...
          http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
          >cord<
          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Ryan, I have 2 of the original Gold Lace pickups and they sound pretty nice for clean with a more modern tone than Fender singles but plenty glassy.

I haven't tried the new Hot Gold's and I guess there are neck and bridge flavors of those I might have to try soon enough.

Have you tried Fender's noiselss? I have a noiseless neck in my Tele and I like it alot.

Comment

Originally posted by fusion101
              flank got it right, if you want quiet vinatge single coils you have to get kinmans. The laces to me sound fake and un-natural(it's hard to explain it), its like a cardboard attack.
              I agree, They do sound good , But maybe strerile is the word? It is hard
              to explain. I've got a Strat setup with laces for recording, But I haven't used
              it yet on any recording. I'm still inclined to grab the Strart w/t the APS- II??
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Thanks guys. Can various types of noiseless pickups be used in the same guitar without any problems, assuming all three are passive pickups?

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I had a set of Lace Sensor Gold's in my Fender Strat Plus. While they did sound good, I agree with what other people have said about them having a 'fakeness' to them.

I traded mine out for a set of the Antiquity Strat pups and haven't looked back

Comment

The lace sensors are good pups, they are there own thing though, and they are a little diffferent than a single coil ... I like them, but they are there own thing, I haven't used the Kinman pups, but they come highly regarded. The DMZ V.V. series are nice, some good options tonally, and a bit truer to the single coil sound than the LSs I think, Then come the HS series, which they are a convential stack though, and as such don't quite nail the single coil sound. I've never used to LSs mixd with any other pup type, so I couldn't comment on any issues pertaining to that. Of the others though, there shouldn't be any problems other than standard phase issues.
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I think lace sensors (every single one of them) sound fake. a few of my friends with strats have all lace sensors and they just sound nasty....just faker than breast implants....heheh
                      :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

I had the Lace Golds in my Strat and they sounded glassy, I have no idea what some guys are saying about 'fake'? They have their own vibe as Fusion said, which I like and only have one guitar with them. I later replaced it with the Lace Holy Grails which have the staggerd poles and get an awesome Strat tone from those pups, I only need one Strat and those Lace pups suit me just fine.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                        Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                        Celestion speakers
                        Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                        Too many pedals....

Comment

i have a custom set of hot golds. a 8.2k neck pup which is very warm and sings well with overdrive. a 7.2k middle pup that does the more vintgey strat thing well, i keep this one lower than either of the other pups and it sounds great clean. the 14.4k bridge pup is a great rock lead tone

Comment

I play two Clapton Strats, the older ones with the Lace sensors. I like the sound of these guitars a lot. If you are looking for a vintage sound then look else where. These PUPS are hotter than a standard single coil, and the preamp adds to that. The preamp help smooth out the tone a little even if it is off. They lack a certain..... warmth that you get with a vintage pup. I would consider Fralin Blues specials or Standards if the vintage sound is what you want. I love all the Duncan stuff too, but Fralin single coils are pretty hard to beat!!
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I think the only ones that won't like the sound of these pickups are vintage purists. To me they are almost idealized (sp?) single coils. ~ Beauty is in the ears of the tone-freak.

Comment

Working...
                              X