Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy an original 70s "The Jb Model" Humbucker

Hey guys,

I have a particular guitar project I have been working on for years now. I understand the original 70s long leg Red label J.B. models are increasingly hard to find; however, money is no object at this point. If you have one one in all black like the J.B. in the pictures I attached, certainly comment or send me a message. Thanks, guys!

Regards,

Jacob
    Last edited by JacobG96; 11-12-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I’ve got a double cream “The JB Model” in my R9. My favorite pickup of all time. Good luck with your search.
      :afro:

Comment

Dang...

I have 1 in double cream and 3 in black/cream "zebra", but I'm fresh out of the double black variety (unless you're interested in the "JBJ" versions from the early-to-mid '80s?)

Comment

Thank you both for the responses! But I am only interested in a double black first-gen J.B. at the moment. Yes, sir! Every person I have talked to about the pickup cannot stop raving about it. However, Masta, I will get back to you on that. There is a good possibility I will buy one or two off of you within the week if you are still interested in selling it then. Thanks, guys!

Comment

Sure thing! Send me a PM when you're ready

Comment

Originally posted by JacobG96 View Post
              Hey guys,

I have a particular guitar project I have been working on for years now. I understand the original 70s long leg Red label J.B. models are increasingly hard to find; however, money is no object at this point. If you have one one in all black like the J.B. in the pictures I attached, certainly comment or send me a message. Thanks, guys!

Regards,

Jacob
              Check this one out. The price is utterly ridiculous, but these JB prototypes pop up online from time to time.
              Seymour Duncan Pickup Proto type JB Limited from Japan [Rare / Used] #B00994 | eBay
              Last edited by gsammo79; 11-13-2021, 10:51 AM.
              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Good lord, I have seen the 70s J.B models I am looking to buy go for 400 and up on eBay but good grief, 750. The guitar is sentimental, so I am honestly willing to spend that kind of money on the pickup I am looking for. Thank you guys for all of the help.
                Last edited by JacobG96; 11-13-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

If money is no object, call the Custom Shop and have Mr Duncan make one just for you. Than youll know its a real one!
                  “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

The "Prototype JB" on that eBay listing is a rip. They were retail versions made exclusively for the Japan market a few years back and are nothing particularly special. If you want "prototype" tone, which is based on a slightly different wire and uses an A2 magnet instead of the JB's A5, you can order a "proto" JB from the Custom Shop for 1/6th the price people are trying to get for the Japan market version. Better yet, check out the Super V and RTM models, which were inspired by the "prototype" model.

If you want a pickup that "looks" like an old "The JB Model" and sounds great as a pickup in general, the Antiquity JB is a solid value. They even have a truncated replica paper label that says "JB Model" on it and a degaussed A5 magnet that's meant to replicate "aging". That said, they aren't exactly the same in every way as the original "The JB Model" versions from the '70s.

Paying the Custom Shop to wind you an original "The JB Model" is basically just having them wind an Antiquity to your specs. In the end, you can come close to the original, but every story is the same...there's just something different about those authentic early versions. And you don't really have to worry about counterfeits...it's much easier to replicate a brand new pickup that is mass-produced than an old one with many quirks and unique aspects to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X