• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    Re: The Hardline According To... The Golden Boy- The Well Part XXII

Originally posted by Tor View Post
    If you were to recommend one single artist or band, what would that be?
    I've lately taken a liking to Alvin Youngblood Hart. He's awesome.
    Can you elaborate on an experience you've had, that you think others can learn from as well?
    Man, every post of mine is an absolute gem. Either what to do, or what not to do.

How about this- I lent a guitar to a "friend."

This is what I got back.

There's a lot of learning right there.

Thanks.

You're welcome!!!

Leave a comment:

• BigAlTheBird
    replied

Originally posted by LSP View Post
    Question for the Golden Boy, which, by the rules, he has to answer. What is the incident Bi Gal refers to? Spare no details. Did he hit on the mrs.?
    Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
    I honestly don't remember... he should probably remind me!
    A certain illustrious member of the Duncan forums called Dave up one day, and gave him his usual 'colloquial' hello when "Dave" answered the phone. Only it wasn't Dave at all, it was Dave's wife. She heard the 'hello,' was most likely stunned, and told Dave that his silly friends couldn't call ever again.

Or something like that. Feel free to clear up any inaccuracies if you remember what I'm talking about, Golden.

Yup, still at the VA. It's a great job, it's one of those things that you're able to help people- so I feel like I make a difference. That's always nice.

I still have your number- but this weekend would probably be bad for a call.
    Like I said, whenever you want/have time. You've got a family, i.e. you're a whole lot busier than me. So if you never call I'll understand.

Won't stop the tears though.

Leave a comment:

• GoldenVulture
    replied

I actually took it apart. The pole pieces you can see between the the two coils actually didn't go 'into the coils. They sat between what was two individual pickups[humbucker setup]sitting in the cradle, with the pole pieces keeping them in place.Each pickup had 6 individual pole magnets in them.

The one in the foreground is one of them.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by Iron Horse View Post
    LOL I first read communist.

Porsche or Mersedes or Ferrari or Lamborghini ?
    I recognize the coolness of a sportscar. However, these days I prefer functionality in a vehicle.

So if you're talking about a Porsche or Mercedes- one of their smaller SUV type things would be cool. If you just want to go with a European-ish vehicle, I like those Volvo Cross Country wagons.

I've gotta have room to haul stuff!!!

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    Cool ,thanks for that.My guess is you'll get a bit of a surprise when you get a good look at " the coils".I opened up one 3 decades ago.I'm curious if yours is made the same way.

Leave a comment:

• Tor
    replied

If you were to recommend one single artist or band, what would that be?

Can you elaborate on an experience you've had, that you think others can learn from as well?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    Cool ,thanks for that.My guess is you'll get a bit of a surprise when you get a good look at " the coils".I opened up one 3 decades ago.I'm curious if yours is made the same way.

Give me a few minutes...

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
    ...or did he hit on YOU!?!???
    Andrew has standards...

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by LSP View Post
    Question for the Golden Boy, which, by the rules, he has to answer. What is the incident Bi Gal refers to? Spare no details. Did he hit on the mrs.?
    I honestly don't remember... he should probably remind me!

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
    did you reclaim the pink throne?
    No.

And I think the garbage guys dropped it- there's a big pile of ceramic stuff with little shards of pink porcelain out in the road.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
    Still work at the VA Hospital? How's that going? Btw, hit me up one of these weekends. I'm afraid of calling cause I know your wife doesn't take too kindly too it after 'the incident,' but give me a ring if you ever get 5 minutes.

Or should I be telling Keith this...?

I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.
    Yup, still at the VA. It's a great job, it's one of those things that you're able to help people- so I feel like I make a difference. That's always nice.

I still have your number- but this weekend would probably be bad for a call.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
    My unit was at Log Base Echo. They followed an armor battalion across the breach north of our position and hauled POWs back.
    I *might* still have a map of the area- but I doubt it. Our truck drivers were MA Reserve or NG truckers.

I remember being all freezing and dirty in the back of that 5 ton, and the POWs were being shipped back in busses. Waving at us. ****ers.

Whoa! Irma the artist? She all over google.
    Irma had her credit cards stolen, fortunately Navin Johnson discovered the theft.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Hey, TGB...
    Hey!!!
    What is the worst awkward moment you've been in?
    Having "the talk" with Junior.

What is the worst awkawrd moment you've witnessed?
    I was over at this chick's house- and her mom and dad came home and started yelling at her about some long distance phone calls.

What is your favourite main course meal?
    Beefed Tenderloin, or maybe a nice chunk of Beefed Primed Rib. In any case, it's cow.

What is your favourite dessert?

Do you like fretless basses?
    No. Not just because I suck at playing fretless. There's this lack of crispness to the attack, even in the hands of "masters" of fretless. I think of Tony Franklin with The Firm, later Jack Bruce stuff or even the early Pearl Jam stuff. There's a "mw" at the beginning of every note. I don't dig that.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
    No drummer in your ultimate lineup? is that on purpose?
    My bad- I love Bonham or maybe Abraham Laboriel Jr. I love those hard hitting drummers.

Have you ever had an adult incontinence moment?
    Uhh... yeah. The whole week before my 10 year class reunion I was sick and thought I wouldn't be able to go, but I was feeling better that day so I decided to go. On the way up there I started getting sick again and had to stop at my folks' house. I did make it to my folks' house, but not to the can in time. I took a shower, cleaned up- and had a change of clothes and went for a little bit. I had a great time- but I still wasn't feeling great.

Did you take part in ration-swapping with the French troops? -I remember reading that they had the best food out of anyone in the coalition...
    The only time we had any interraction with the French guys was a stop at a little store or a PX or something. I traded a Combat Infantryman's badge and some Airborne wings for some French rank and some French badges. I don't know what happened to that stuff.

What are your most and least favorite tunes to play live?
    This reminds me, I've got to go back and hit that other question I wanted clarification on...

Anyway... As far as songs that I've had a hand in writing... My favorite is/was a song called "Form Letter." It's a song I wrote and sang and played guitar on. It's been 13 years or so and still think it's a good song. Least favorites would be a couple of songs from my last band called "Last Forever" and "Stay Awake." "Last Forever," the singer lifted pretty much the whole first verse, word for word, from an Oasis song. Me, not knowing Oasis, didn't find out about it until long after we'd been doing the song- "Stay Awake" was a terminally boring song

As far as covers... Right now, "You Give Love A Bad Name." I've never liked the song, and even though the cheesy cover band I fill in with does some really horrible stuff... I hate playing this one the most. Favorite... Probably "Stacey's Mom."

If you were forced to wear a science fiction costume in public, what would it be?
    Like what sci-fi character?

Going back to Joe's question- Starbuck from the old Battlestar Galactica. Brown suede means "outer space."

late 70s fender/gibson: cool gear or overhyped junk?
    Way, WAY overhyped junk. I love "vintage" gear, but based on the general qualities and features of those pieces, it's not stuff that make for a "good" instrument in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Horse
    replied

My buddy Rob. He's an advice columnist in a local publication. He's got the best common sense answers anyone could ever give. He's brutally honest and would do a great job.
    LOL I first read communist.

Porsche or Mersedes or Ferrari or Lamborghini ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X