• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Boy
    replied
    Re: The Hardline According To... The Golden Boy- The Well Part XXII

Originally posted by Gamera View Post
    Do you remember where Treasure Island used to be? Zantigo? Flipper's? Go Bananas? Ralph Hanzel's Music? Zayre?

Favorite local pizza?
    See, I'm from the WB, so getting to Milwaukee was a trip. It's funny you mention Treasure Island- my wife and I were just talking about this over the weekend. I very vaguely remember Treasure Island, but don't remember Zantigo, Flipper's, Go Bananas or Zayre. Ralph Hanzel's music is where Uncle Bob's is now. There were 3 guitars there that I used to lust after. The Broadcaster, the Moderne and the Rosewood Tele. The last two may have been when it was Daryl Stuermer's music...

Favorite local pizza? Marchese's Olive Pit- corner of First and Washington, right across from the Allen Bradley clock tower.

Do you remember Melody Top? Leaning Tower Of Pizza and the pizza place that used to be right next to the Rave/Eagle's Club? It's that little parking area just to the west of the front parking area- It used to have creepy clown paintings...

Leave a comment:

• JumpMarine
    replied

Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
    When I was in Panama, we'd gotten this cherry in- he seemed slow and doofy. Before his first jump we had him running around looking for the keys to the drop zone, the reserve chutes for the door bundles... **** like that. We'd take medical tape and tape the cherries' helmets so they'd be white, and draw a big cherry on the front- just to be able to identify a cherry making his 1st "real" jump. This was a night, combat equipment jump. Rucksack, weapon... and at night. I don't remember where the cherry was in the stick, but he was after me, I was below him and I see him coming right at me. I tried to slip off to the right, but he slipped with me- just like you're not supposed to do. I remember pulling up one riser into suspension lines... Right away, his chute loses air, and he zips right past me, and then I'm even with his canopy. I then end up in his silk. I always thought that the chute would be kind of solid- with all that air in it... Not a chance, that silk started wrapping around me and I freaked. I think I grabbed a riser and started pulling- just to get away... I got clear of him, dropped my ruck and rode my weapon in. We landed within 15 feet of each other, and probably around 50 feet from the ocean.

I guess he got me back.

Pay attention during training- it CAN happen to you.
    This all sounds too familiar! Where all were you deployed?

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by LSP View Post
    Just how hard is the line?

What is your favourite thing about Bad Coconuts?
    Ask Terrence Trent Darby.

That I don't have to see it to break my heart.

You, sir, are an evil man.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
    P.P.S. I expect this well to be a hot one
    With a little bit-a ugh ugh
    and a little bit-a ugh ugh.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

P.S. Please tell us about your time in the army, including:

One story about how basic training kicked your ass, with or without the archetypal in-your-face drill instructor embarrassing you in front of an entire platoon.

One story about how you, in your own sarcastic and irreverent idiom, played some kind of practical joke on a fellow solder / instructor / officer from which hilarity ensued.

One story about how something you saw or experienced while in the service brought you to a realization that it's not all fun and games out there and you'd have to buckle down if you wanted to achieve anything worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
    I had a nice time in the Army. I went in when I was still 17- a week after graduation.

From reception bn. they took us to our company- Fort Benning is a big place- and hot in Summer- and we were PACKED in the back of the cattle cars with our duffle bags of newly issued uniforms and our civillian bags. The second the doors opened the DIs were on us, yelling, making us do pushups, run to the end of the road and run back, stop and do pushups while running to the end of the road. All on gravel. Hot gravel. Sitting there in the front leaning rest position with that gravel digging into your palms. Getting up to the position of attention without wiping the rocks off your hands. I'd heard about the "you eyeballin' me, son?" thing so I had the brim of my hat pulled kind of low so I could see, but would be able to angle my head so the DI wouldn't be able to see my eyes, even when he was right in front of me yelling at me. It felt like that went on for hours. It was crazy. It was cool.

Practical joke, eh? I guess I'm not too big on remembering practical jokes... So I guess this'll have to do for both questions.

When I was in Panama, we'd gotten this cherry in- he seemed slow and doofy. Before his first jump we had him running around looking for the keys to the drop zone, the reserve chutes for the door bundles... **** like that. We'd take medical tape and tape the cherries' helmets so they'd be white, and draw a big cherry on the front- just to be able to identify a cherry making his 1st "real" jump. This was a night, combat equipment jump. Rucksack, weapon... and at night. I don't remember where the cherry was in the stick, but he was after me, I was below him and I see him coming right at me. I tried to slip off to the right, but he slipped with me- just like you're not supposed to do. I remember pulling up one riser into suspension lines... Right away, his chute loses air, and he zips right past me, and then I'm even with his canopy. I then end up in his silk. I always thought that the chute would be kind of solid- with all that air in it... Not a chance, that silk started wrapping around me and I freaked. I think I grabbed a riser and started pulling- just to get away... I got clear of him, dropped my ruck and rode my weapon in. We landed within 15 feet of each other, and probably around 50 feet from the ocean.

I guess he got me back.

Pay attention during training- it CAN happen to you.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by jerryjg View Post
    Would you rather be caught picking your nose or scratching your nuts?
    Since I do both regularly... It doesn't matter too much. Unless you're talking about reaching into my pants. Then I'd rather get busted picking my nose.

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

You failed at your own description, unless you're actually wearing your Old Navy boxers on the outside of your Levis, in which case you fail at life.
    Actually, I had given this thought, unless my boxers are around my ankles, my pants come in contact with my legs, lower than my boxers.

Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
    Starting from the bottom, inside out.
    Other than that, how's tricks?
    Silly rabbit.

Leave a comment:

• Gamera
    replied

Do you remember where Treasure Island used to be? Zantigo? Flipper's? Go Bananas? Ralph Hanzel's Music? Zayre?

Favorite local pizza?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Just how hard is the line?

What is your favourite thing about Bad Coconuts?

Leave a comment:

• sosomething
    replied

P.P.S. I expect this well to be a hot one

Leave a comment:

• sosomething
    replied

P.S. Please tell us about your time in the army, including:

One story about how basic training kicked your ass, with or without the archetypal in-your-face drill instructor embarrassing you in front of an entire platoon.

One story about how you, in your own sarcastic and irreverent idiom, played some kind of practical joke on a fellow solder / instructor / officer from which hilarity ensued.

One story about how something you saw or experienced while in the service brought you to a realization that it's not all fun and games out there and you'd have to buckle down if you wanted to achieve anything worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• jerryjg
    replied

Would you rather be caught picking your nose or scratching your nuts?

Leave a comment:

• sosomething
    replied

You failed at your own description, unless you're actually wearing your Old Navy boxers on the outside of your Levis, in which case you fail at life.

Other than that, how's tricks?

Leave a comment:

• The Golden Boy
    replied

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
    i always thought it was lombardi on the right - shows what i know

did you ever read jerry kramer's book? ... if not, i highly recommend it

how'd you get started playin music .. tell us the timeline of your music career

t4d
    I've read "Instant Replay." I haven't read any of the other ones. Instant Replay is awesome- just to get into the mind of someone there at the time and a part of it- right in the middle of it.

My parents were both into music. My dad still loves to sing, my mom used to play piano and organ. But they were not into the rock and roll thing. I remember being into disco- I loved the Village People- what 3rd grader could resist the Village People or KISS in 1977. My parents had me start piano lessons, and I didn't want to be doing that, I had a lot of trouble with the whole piano thing- to this day I really can't read music, and I'm lost on a keyboard- my mind doesn't work like that. Around that time I got my first rock and roll record- "Renegade" by the Styx. Boy were my folks pissed. My folks were also pissed when I got Get The Knack by the Knack, and made me take it back.

Somewhere around this time I developed this fascination with the Beatles- especially Paul McCartney. I have no idea why a 9/10 year old kid would be fascinated by McCartney in 1979/80- but I wanted to play bass guitar so I could be like Paul McCartney. I started taking lessons from the brother of the lady who was giving me piano lessons- he had a fake Hofner that he let me borrow. After that he let me borrow his fake Jazz bass. I only took a couple of lessons from him, but he let me hang on to instruments- I'm eternally grateful. He also gave me an old tape deck that I used as an amp- you'd plug into it and hit record and you could hear the bass. It was awesome.

I started playing guitar around 1983 or so- I remember that Billy Squier was big at the time. It wasn't all that much fun to want to be a bass player, but none of your friends or anyone your age was in a band, or even looking to start a band. So I started learning guitar chords so I could actually play songs and have people recognize them. I had a "Carlos" brand acoustic that I took EVERYWHERE with me.

I got my first bass, the ugly-ass EB-0, around 1985 or so with my lawnmowing money, and got my first electric guitar somewhere around that time- it was a Kalamazoo Strat style knockoff. That thing sucked. It came with a Kingston amp. A SS head on a 2x12 cab- and the head had reverb AND tremolo. It sucked. Around this time I got my first "real" guitar- a gift from my Dad- It was a Telecaster Custom. I was so proud of that guitar.

Somwhere in 1986 or so I got in my first "real" band. We were a punk rock band called NOD. We were awesome. We had a really nice sounding demo- for the time, and I'm glad I still have a copy of it.

I played in that band until I left for the Army.

Should I keep going?

Leave a comment:

• LesStrat
    replied

Which is better, Louie Louie, or Brother Louie? Why?

Which do/would you play live?
    Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    Name the three individuals in the foreground of your avatar, from left to right.
    Forget that! Who's the hottie in the background left of center near the top of the seating section?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X