X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Well 69: ImmortalSix

Originally posted by supernosher View Post
    what is your idea of the meaning of life?
    To feel.

To feel loved, feel protective, feel helpless, feel vulnerable, feel high, feel low, feel powerful, feel euphoric, feel like the only person in the world, feel like a grain of sand on the beach, feel like you're serving something greater than yourself, feel safe, feel unsafe, just to feel.

We all can agree that there's no "absolute" definition, but for me, I just want to feel a wide range of things in my life. Doing things like getting married, having kids, things like that are ways to amplify the way we feel about things. I am excited about these things because that's the only way we experience the world --- we feel.

Everything else is a means of creating a feeling: money, work, rivalry, all of it, it just boils down to feelings that you have.

-Hunter
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

How would you describe yourself using three adjectives? What three adjectives do you think your wife would use? How about someone who only knew you for an hour or so?

- Keith
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
        How would you describe yourself using three adjectives? What three adjectives do you think your wife would use? How about someone who only knew you for an hour or so?

- Keith
        Myself:
        Sharp
        Logical
        Capable

My Wife:
        Smart
        Caring
        Artsy

10 Minute Stranger:
        Receptive
        Observant
        Bright

I see myself as a natural born engineer --- I see all circumstances end to end, I see their cause and effect, and I naturally think of the most efficient execution of any given __________.

My wife sees me as a provider, obviously --- this is a biological instinct, but she appreciates my intellect, and she, being someone who regrettably does not have the same understanding of and appreciation for art that I do, sees me as "artsy" because I can describe the beauty of a painting, or a musical composition, or even a wine, and she will not be able to relate.

The 10-minute stranger will see me as a good listener, because I consciously employ good listening skills --- I am an intelligence gatherer by nature and I identify that it's more important for me to learn about something or someone than it is for that thing or person to know anything about me in most circumstances. Keeping information about you to yourself is also of value --- it's a card that can be played later, it provides leverage.

I just read the above and I sound like a robot

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
          I just read the above and I sound like a robot
          Excellent response! At least you don't sound like a "huge nerd."
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

My wife sees me as a provider, obviously
            this is doubly interesting .... 1) that you use the word 'provider' as opposed to something more modern/egalitarian like, say, 'partner' or some such ... and 2) that you use the word 'obviously' which connotes dismissal of any other expectation or possible perception on her part

could you expand on these? if you do, i almost guarantee i have a follow-up

I sound like a robot
            no, actually you sound like someone grooming them self for a career as a CIA analyst/operator/case manager
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
              this is doubly interesting .... 1) that you use the word 'provider' as opposed to something more modern/egalitarian like, say, 'partner' or some such ... and 2) that you use the word 'obviously' which connotes dismissal of any other expectation or possible perception on her part

could you expand on these?

no, actually you sound like someone grooming them self for a career as a CIA analyst/operator/case manager
              Your analysis has piqued my interest --- very astute, you!

First things first, I believe that everything we do as humans is biologically motivated.

(A person will kiss ass at work to move up to get more money to guarantee air, water, food, shelter or build a buffer thereof, for a brief and simple example) Eating is "obtaining calories" for me.Making money is "gathering." Finding and converting opportunity is "hunting." We are animals, and we can't take that out of our minds --- we do what we do to satisfy biological desires. Even our more complex desires are rooted in biology.

On "provider," in our case, my wife could not support herself with her present quality of life, expenses, and income. It just wouldn't add up for her. So, strictly in terms of dollars and cents, I am a provider. Now emotionally and familially, I am a partner, equal as can be.

I say obviously, because I see people as what they are --- biologically motivated animals. Why does she latch on to me, on the biological level? Providence. Protection. Procreation. I can do things for her she can't do alone. Seeing it any other way is naive.

All that said, I am not a cold, unfeeling scientist in real life, I just think that way because as a scientist, my default is to quantify to understand --- decompose to understand. I am a real person, with a heart and all that.

As far as intel career --- I am interested in several different fields of intel, of which there are many (GEOINT and MASINT being my top two) and my next career move very well may be in that direction.
              Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-14-2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

You are one interesting dude.
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                  You are one interesting dude.

We all are who we are.
                  Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-14-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

interesting to say the least - best well in ages

ah, where to start

so one question that comes to mind is 'does your wife share your analysis as natively her own (as opposed to having been absorbed from you) - does she look at you obviously as a provider first and foremost?'

the next question is more personal ... have you reflected on the long term implications for your self - your spirit - your psyche - of being seen as such? if so, what have you come up with as to your role as 'provider'

next - do you leave room that your approach (everything is biology) is insufficient to explain the range of human behaviour? ... it seems to me that you look at humna behaviour as addressing nothing above the lowest ranks of maslow's hierarchy of needs

next - you describe your marriage in ways that lean nearly exclusively to your wife's dependence on you as opposed to interdependence of two otherwise independent and self sufficient adults ... have i misread?
                    gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

next - you describe your marriage in ways that lean nearly exclusively to your wife's dependence on you as opposed to interdependence of two otherwise independent and self sufficient adults ... have i misread?
                      I moved this one to the top so I could answer it first! Yeah, I have misconveyed the nature of the relationship, I believe. While it is true that she could not financially support herself, if she was single, she wouldn't live where we live or drive the car she drives, she would have scaled her lifestyle differently. I need her, too. Some are biological reasons, procreation being the most obvious, but it's an undeniable biological need/want to hang out with a female of the species. The search for companionship is very real and a common experience across all species, especially species like us. Practically speaking, I provide more for her than she does for me, but intangibly, in currency of love and caregiving, temperament and joy, she provides as much for me as I do for her. All in all, it's symbiosis.

so one question that comes to mind is 'does your wife share your analysis as natively her own (as opposed to having been absorbed from you) - does she look at you obviously as a provider first and foremost?'
                      No, she probably looks at me mostly as the person who always forgets to use a coaster
                      She is a tender female and looks at me as an endearing lug of a husband. She doesn't think about biology when she thinks of our relationship. She is operating on a different level, drawing from a different pool of nouns to classify me. She sees me as a companion, a pillow, a chef, a driver, a tear-wipe-a-wayer, you know, a husband

the next question is more personal ... have you reflected on the long term implications for your self - your spirit - your psyche - of being seen as such? if so, what have you come up with as to your role as 'provider'
                      Well spiritually, being a provider means having the wisdom to keep your own "cup" full so you have something to pour out for others, and maintaining the perspective to give freely whenever you can, and the strength to receive help when you, the provider, need it. I don't know if I fill those needs right now, today, but I will work my whole life to become the man I want to be.

Long-term, it's important to not become arrogant or selfish. This is a common problem. I strive not to think "I am strong, she is weak" or "I am smart, everyone else is stupid." These reactions come from indulgence and vanity, and I maintain the humility that everything I have is a gift, and what I am called to do with my gifts is to use them for whatever "good" that I can.

At the end of the road, I want to know that I never held back when I could give, I never hated when I could love, I never ran when I could stay.

next - do you leave room that your approach (everything is biology) is insufficient to explain the range of human behaviour? ... it seems to me that you look at humna behaviour as addressing nothing above the lowest ranks of maslow's hierarchy of needs
                      Well, let's be clear --- I believe that the higher ranks represented in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs are applications of the lower ranks.

Much like the belief that Psychology is applied Biology is applied Chemistry is applied Physics is applied Mathematics, higher ranking needs like appearance root back to lower needs like sex.

So I don't believe every action is motivated by one of the big 5: "get air, get water, get food, get shelter, get sex" but I do believe that every action is derived from or is an application of one of those fundamental building blocks.

-Hunter
                      Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-14-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Big response updated in edits Re: tone4days

Comment

Big response updated in edits Re: tone4days
                          great responses - lotsa interesting stuff - thanks!
                          gear list in profile

Comment

Want to be my super duper bestest friend?

Also, if you had crazy intense super engineer skills that made you capable of anything, what improvement would you make to the electric guitar that could change the world? (Does not need to be actually possible)
                            - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

great responses - lotsa interesting stuff - thanks!
                              Thank you!

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                              Want to be my super duper bestest friend?

Also, if you had crazy intense super engineer skills that made you capable of anything, what improvement would you make to the electric guitar that could change the world? (Does not need to be actually possible)
                              Absolutely. I looked all over for the super duper bestest friend button on the forum and I can't find it, though.

I would make an electric guitar that was always in tune, and always intonated perfectly on every note.

In theory, you'd need movable semi-major nodes (i.e. frets) but that's what I'd make.

I have had so much trouble with guitars not intonating correctly that I rank that as my #1 priority on a guitar --- intonation.

Comment

I like short signatures --- the shorter and more informative the better --- he tells me his name and links me to his band's website all in one line --- Now that's a great signature.

I am big on maximizing content delivery for a given space.
                                That is why almost every picture I post contains a link to a relevant source of supporting information, or I insert links in conversational text. More information per character. I am an engineer at heart, so shoehorning the maximum into the minimun is the name of the game.
                                You and I would get along very well, sir. The part I bolded is one of my greatest skills as a software systems analyst.

Gr8Scott, theodie, and brisk are out of the running because I have met them --- Scott and brisk for a midweek dinner and guitar oogling session (brisk = gear hound supreme) and theodie to buy a guitar

- Scott F because he has a sharp sense of humor --- very inline with my own
                                - phil_104 because he seems a lot like me a few years ago --- who wouldn't want to hang with themself? His love for Pink Floyd is cool too
                                -scottish because he's not afraid to go out and get what he wants, or better yet, build it! He also appreciates "the Trey" and understands that Phish is not just hippie music
                                -Pink Unicorn Horsey because he seems like a huge nerd and hanging out with him would probably make me feel like the coolest kid in school
                                - Ken because he seems like a smart fellow with a lot in common with my ways of thought
                                - grumpy because I bet we would have a hilarious debate about everything we talked about
                                - cream123 because he is creative and it would be interesting to see where his creativity comes from, and what he's thinking about
                                - sosomething because he's sharp and has my sense of humor --- he also knows how to write good music and rocks really hard, and loves P90s
                                - super_rad_ska because he is an earnest dude, and works hard for his family --- I can relate to that
                                - Mattt because he's come from a tough place and has carved an independent and strong life for himself

- I would likely have a good time hanging with any of you goobers --- Robert S., Jolly, benjy_26, j9f3ds, all you guys are my bros, I am just tired of typing
                                Oh ... never mind ...
                                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Working...
                                X