VHoholic clip.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VHoholic clip.....

Pure and sexy. Love your style. Pure BAR ROCK baby!

Comment

Sweet Playin''''''''''''''''''''''''''
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

What can I say . . . even for an ole fart, this is just plain fun to listen to.

Great stuff.

Comment

Some of the intricacies in your licks are SO 'dead on Halen', it's almost scary that it's not actually him. Kudos.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by gnugear
            I know which pickup it is, so I'm not going to give it away!

Hey Vhoholic, I've got a general question for you. Since you use the '59 and this other pickup, do you ever feel like you wish they had more output? I mean part of the magic is that they have low output, yet at the same time it makes you work so damn hard LOL!

I'm really interested in the '59 ... there's something about the low end that I really like. I hear it in your clips and in Chubtone's clip comparing the Holmes, Voodoo, '59, and EVH. His "someone get me a Dr." clip sounded best with the '59 IMO.
            To be honest with you i've been using these pickups for so long that i almost forget what it's like to play with more output LOL. I just love the clarity and punch of them. It's true, you really can't hide anything but in the end they just sound so good! I know what you mean about the low end of that 59. I love that pickup! I've been thinking about slapping the 59 in the Ibanez Roadstar i used for this clip and see how it sounds with my current setup.

Originally posted by Guitarist
            Pure and sexy. Love your style. Pure BAR ROCK baby!
            Thanks Guitarist!

Originally posted by y2stevo
            Sweet Playin''''''''''''''''''''''''''
            Thanks man.

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            What can I say . . . even for an ole fart, this is just plain fun to listen to.

Great stuff.
            Thanks. Glad you liked it!

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            Some of the intricacies in your licks are SO 'dead on Halen', it's almost scary that it's not actually him. Kudos.
            Thanks man. Sometimes it's hard to get to the computer inbetween shows on the tour but i do the best i can... It's weird, i don't even realize it anymore when i'm playing. It just comes out that way now.
            Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Updated Van Halen clips, originals and a few others.....check out my new VH Store also. Enjoy!

Comment

VHoholic, I always enjoy your stuff. It inspires me to keep at it. I'm working on strictly VH stuff because he's the reason I got into guitar in the 1st place.

Can you you give me some recommendations on amp settings. His early sound is so huge and expansive I can't figure out if I should increase or back off mids, gain, etc.

Please suggest:Gain, bass, mids and treble (I don't have presence)

Thanks much, Steve.
              Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve
                VHoholic, I always enjoy your stuff. It inspires me to keep at it. I'm working on strictly VH stuff because he's the reason I got into guitar in the 1st place.

Can you you give me some recommendations on amp settings. His early sound is so huge and expansive I can't figure out if I should increase or back off mids, gain, etc.

Please suggest:Gain, bass, mids and treble (I don't have presence)

Thanks much, Steve.
                Thanks SoCal. It really depends on what amp your using. I'm not sure what setup you have but the settings i use on my amps may sound different on yours. If the amp is the same it should sound pretty close. Here are my Plexi reissue settings: presence-around 9-10, Bass-slightly before 2, mid-10, treble-around 6-7, and volume a little above 6.(i change it slightly here and there depending on what guita/pickup i'm using). Here are the 5150 combo settings i've been using lately: Lead pre- little before 5, mid-4, high between 3 and 4, resonance- slightly before 6, and presence-8. Again, i change the settings depending on the guitar/PU and also for tone experiments but i usually keep them pretty close to these.
                Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Updated Van Halen clips, originals and a few others.....check out my new VH Store also. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by VHoholic
                  Thanks SoCal. It really depends on what amp your using. I'm not sure what setup you have but the settings i use on my amps may sound different on yours. If the amp is the same it should sound pretty close. Here are my Plexi reissue settings: presence-around 9-10, Bass-slightly before 2, mid-10, treble-around 6-7, and volume a little above 6.(i change it slightly here and there depending on what guita/pickup i'm using). Here are the 5150 combo settings i've been using lately: Lead pre- little before 5, mid-4, high between 3 and 4, resonance- slightly before 6, and presence-8. Again, i change the settings depending on the guitar/PU and also for tone experiments but i usually keep them pretty close to these.
                  Thanks. Greatly appreciated.
                  Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

One word: SEXY!!!

Great stuff man! Hey in the Plexi xlips when you say there's one tube in the amp, do you mean LITERALLY one tube? like only the V1 12ax7 is in there?
                    Last edited by B2D; 09-14-2004, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                      One word: SEXY!!!

Great stuff man! Hey in the Plexi xlips when you say there's one tube in the amp, do you mean LITERALLY one tube? like only the V1 12ax7 is in there?
                      Thanks man! I literally leave in one tube. It's just to get the volume down so i don't have to use an attenuator. I take out 3 EL34's not the 12ax7's, those stay in.
                      Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Comment

Originally posted by VHoholic
                        Thanks man! I literally leave in one tube. It's just to get the volume down so i don't have to use an attenuator. I take out 3 EL34's not the 12ax7's, those stay in.
                        hmmm... i always was under the understanding that operating an amp w/out all its power tubes was dangerous!

Comment

Vholic, I dug up this old thread to pay tribute to you, but I have a couple questions. Can you read music, and are you familiar with scales? And..how long have you been playing? You're awesome.
                          www.soundclick.com/experience
                          Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
                          Yamaha EG 112C My 100$ GEMMarshall MS-2 Mini AmpVox V847 WahWah Pedal

Comment

Originally posted by TheLizardKing
                            Vholic, I dug up this old thread to pay tribute to you, but I have a couple questions. Can you read music, and are you familiar with scales? And..how long have you been playing? You're awesome.
                            Hey thanks man. I can read but i haven't done so in years. I'm familiar with some scales but it's been years since i've gone through any of that stuff. I have it all stored away in my guitar lesson books from when i first started playing LOL. I've been playing for about 24 years.
                            Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Comment

Working...
                            X