Tips for lead playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for lead playing?

What a bunch of useless junk! Are any of these guys famous - NO! But I am...so here is what you need to know:

#1 Learn the pentatonic minor scale - the basic "blues box." That's it. Don't worry about anything else. That is more than enough musical knowledge. A and E will get you through almost anything. If not, it must be some sucky jazz song...

#2 Play as fast as you can all the time. Don't worry about hitting the right notes - Pentatonic minor sounds good over everything! And people will be so impressed by the speed that they won't notice. Most are not musicians anyway. The only way to develop speed is to practice quickly. Playing really really fast is part of jazz too, by the way.

#3 Use a TON of distortion. This will make it easier to play fast, and blur the notes giving more of an impression that you played the right thing. It's that rock sound that you want, and you can't have too much ever! Playing clean, really fast, IS jazz. We don't want to do that though.

#4 You HAVE to practice making your musical "grimace" in the mirror - that face that at any other time would say "I have a turd stuck and it's killing me" except when you hold a guitar - then the same face means "I'm twisted in agony pouring out my soul in this distorted fast pentatonic minor solo" People will feel the emotion in your solo because you look emotional. Most jazz guys can't play rock because they look bored. Don't forget your big rock stances too!

#5 Cool threads. The chics dig them. Find a girl to take you shopping for your rock star threads. The chics could care less about what you play - they are checking out your pants, shirt, shoes and hair. If you can bring the chics around, you can be in any band you want. Chics are why we want to be in a band in the first place, right? Musicianship is for a bunch of moody, lonely, black turtle neck wearing jazzers.

#6 Great gear. Absolutely essential. No body ever got famous without cool gear. serious gear makes people think you can play good enough to need it. Jazz guys all play the same lame guitar. And a BIG amp. You must be able to sonically overpower any band member you disagree with. The volume of your instrument tells the chics who the most important person in the band is.

Learn this scale, that scale - pffft. when you listen to Nickelback do you even hear them play a solo? If they did would you know the scale or care?
    Clothes, grimace, gear

Those will get you farther than any of that foolishness the others said. You've seen my avatar - you know who I am. Or you can listen to some 17 year old kid named "cream" who is in the band in high school.

You found the right place kid - we are gonna raise you right! You'll be the most in demand band guy for a hundred miles of where ever it is you are! Do your parents know you are on this board?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Clean technique is your friend.
      It doesn't matter if you're fast, you'll impress more playing moderately fast and extremely clean than warp speed and sloppy.
      Spend serious time on bending and vibrato, get that intonation right.
      Learning good vibrato? Listen to Adrian Smith, Marty Friedman, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen and Mikael Akerfeldt for superb vibrato as well as incredible bending technique.
      Phrasing............if you don't got it, you can't write a good solo, no matter how good your technique is or your theory knowledge.
      Learn to be tasty, but yet, remember that virtuoso speed and taste are not mutually exclusive......some of the best solos IMO are by guys like Satch, Guthrie Govan or Vai, who know when to back off, play some simple hummable and memorable melodies and can turn the intensity factor up to 11 when it comes time to burn.
      But shredding without good vibrato, phrasing, bending, control......a big no no...leave that to youtube bedroom shredders please.
      You don't need all the theory in the world.
      Once you know the modes of the major scale, you're totally set to write almost whatever you want, because you'll know how to construct chords from those scale tones.

On tone, you want a tone with a good amount of mids, with enough bite without being harsh and a nice, rounded bottom end without being flubby and muddy.
      And don't wind the gain up to 11......some of the best playing out there, like the stuff on the debut Van Halen album wasn't done with huge amounts of gain. EVH just knew how to play.

Comment

"Release the f'n fury!"
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

There's no escaping the fact you need to just practice.
          Actually trying to learn some solos note for note is very worthwhile too - once you know you can play something like the "Enter Sandman" solo it'll give you a bit more confidence.

I just joined a new band last night and the rythm guitarist said I'd have to show him how to solo and I just said "I don't think I can". I don't really know how I do it, it just comes naturally after practice and listening to a lot of music.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
            "Release the f'n fury!"
            Best advice yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
              Best advice yet.
              What?!?!?!? All he did was rip off Yngwie...

You can't be able to copy anyone's leads either! That way you "Have your own style"
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Put down the guitar, learn as much theory as your brain can grasp, and learn which notes "fit" under which chords in every situation posible. Pick up the guitar and try to visualize those notes on the fretboard. Eventually you'll get a grasp of which "wrong" notes can be thrown in at the "right" time.

A couple of things though, eventually you should (at least it's what I'm working on now) try to think not so much about boxed scale patterns, but rather think intervals, and more importantly, you should "feel" the kind of emotions and images scales and certain intervals portray, and apply to your will. Like Satch says in this video when he soloes over a progression, "Is this guy sailing down the Mississippi Delta or the Nile?"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

One thing that I got from a Guitar World ages ago (I don't take classes so I kind of learn from anywhere I can) was learning the modes in descending brightness. Basically order them in the amount of flats they have, so basically Lydian is the "happiest" one and Locrian would be the "saddest" one because of the amount of flats it has, and it actually kind of makes sense!

And last but not least, you need to work on your technique, not to be able to do some flashy soloing, but rather, to be able to play whatever your brain wants to play.

Comment

The best advice I can give you, is to not forget that even though you are up front, it is not you that carries the song. Therefore, work within the context or what your fellow musicians are putting out, and try and make their life as easy as possible ; they will surely return the favor.

Also, don't overplay. Nothing is more annoying than a lead guitarist who believes he needs to play super fast and super technical all the time. Feel your music, be lyrical about it, and get your message across.
                  - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                    The best advice I can give you, is to not forget that even though you are up front, it is not you that carries the song. Therefore, work within the context or what your fellow musicians are putting out, and try and make their life as easy as possible ; they will surely return the favor.

Also, don't overplay. Nothing is more annoying than a lead guitarist who believes he needs to play super fast and super technical all the time. Feel your music, be lyrical about it, and get your message across.
                    That's really good advice, I should write that down. BTW Yes, Aceman, my parents do know I'm on here.
                    P.S. I have nearly 100 posts, Holy Crap!

Comment

heh heh, nice one aceman

> play in tune and in time - this is seriously half the battle for young players
                      > practise unplugged and clean, watch your picking
                      > slow difficult/new phrases right down, and make sure they keep the rhythm before playing them at speed
                      > learn to play by ear, at least get a feel for the intervals between notes in a key
                      > play constantly, get as comfortable with the instrument as you can; being comfortable while playing opens doors
                      > apparently you're 13, so i'll stop now ; ]

Comment

Jazz or Rock? You need to learn the same things to conquer either. I hear people say learn scales and modes. I have to ask why? Because someone told them that they have to learn scales and modes probably! Hogwash!

Most people who use scales and modes don't have a clue which modes work where or why. I mean come on really! They have a hand full of modes that they play on **** near every song and simply because it doesn't sound "bad" they say their method works! But truth be told they soon get bored with their own playing and haven't a clue how to expand or take it to the next level! If I had a nickel for every wannabe that quit playing because their playing turned into one big cliche' then I'd never have to work again.

What you need to learn is harmony! Learn every chord that it is possible to create.

Start with basics:

Major, Minor, Dominant 7th, Diminished and Augmented

Then progress to Major 7th, Minor 7th, Major 7b5, Major 7(+5), Minor 7b5, Major 6, Minor 6, MinorMajor 7th and so on.

Then learn your extended harmonies 9th, b9th, #9th, 11th, #11th, b13th and 13th chords.

Once you have learned all these chord types then you will have a full harmonic palette. Start breaking these chords down into arpeggios. Then start playing these arpeggios in all sorts of inversions.

Couple this with voice leading methodologies like step-wise progression, arpeggios, leap up with step down resolution, leap down with step up resolution, step up leap down resolution, step down leap up resolution. The voice leading methods reveal how melodic line are created using the various linear progressions.

Also learn to play by the creation of motifs and repetitious phrasing! You see there is a whole hell of a lot more to it than just learning some friggin modes!
                        These horse pills really take the edge off! Take 4 of em and that yellow gateway over there opens for da wolfman! -- Carl, ATHF

Comment

Get a job and hire a lead guitarist. By far the easiest way to lead guitar.
                          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post

I just joined a new band last night
                            cONGRATS!

Comment

I think the method one employs to develop as a lead guitarist depends heavily on what 'type' of person you are, or more specifically, what type of brain you have. For the predominantly left brain oriented, studying theory and the science and mathematics of music can be very appealing, and you can take great delight in applying the various formulae into a musical context. The thought of repetitive exercises to develop the required skills will also appeal. To the right brain oriented, studying the theory will seem akin to cleaning the entire floorspace of your living area with a toothbrush, and structured repetitive exercise will have a similar appeal to Chinese water torture. The more right brain inclined will learn by trial and error, and will develop their listening and mimicry skills, with an entirely different focus. Similarly, the lack of structure involved in this hit or miss approach would drive the left brainers crazy.

There is no right or wrong here. Both approaches have produced long lists of great players, and there is obviously substantial grey area between the two extremes, in reflection of the broad range of personality types. My point is to pay attention and become conscious of how your personality manifests itself and how your mind works, and employ an approach that is in keeping with it. Otherwise, you can fall into the trap of struggling with an approach that has no natural appeal to you. In the two extremes, the 'righties' might struggle with the limitations of the theoretical rules, and the 'lefties' might flounder in a world without those disciplines. If you find yourself balanced at some point between the two, then you can study a little theory and then spend the rest of your time wailing away on it. To thine own self be true, and then get down to it. Either way, you will need to be simultaneously very determined, and very patient with yourself. Take one step at a time, and don't expect to be able to do too much too soon, because this can lead to terminal discouragement. Possibly the single most important element is to keep your focus on playing something that is appropriate to the music surrounding it. This will take time and effort, no matter which path you choose.

Cheers...................................... wahwah
                              Last edited by wahwah; 04-11-2009, 10:52 AM.
                              Highway Star
                              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                              Mistreated
                              Cause We Ended As Lovers
                              Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                              Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                What?!?!?!? All he did was rip off Yngwie...

You can't be able to copy anyone's leads either! That way you "Have your own style"
                                Ok, well *technically* my "own" style is a blend of all the guitarists I love.

I'm sure it's the same for the thread started (im not taking a stab at you ace ).

and now for the tip:

If you are the sole guitarist, that means transferring from lead to rhythym... in one swift fluid motion

its alot easier than it sounds. who are your musical influences? what songs do you cover, or practice?

Comment

Working...
                                X