Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for lead playing?

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    Get a job and hire a lead guitarist. By far the easiest way to lead guitar.
    yeah be an acoustic singer songwriter and hire steve vai or tom morello. youll sound awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
      > apparently you're 13, so i'll stop now ; ]
      Grrr!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
        Grrr!
        i think that only reinforces the point he's trying to make

Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
          Ok, well *technically* my "own" style is a blend of all the guitarists I love.

I'm sure it's the same for the thread started (im not taking a stab at you ace ).

and now for the tip:

If you are the sole guitarist, that means transferring from lead to rhythym... in one swift fluid motion

its alot easier than it sounds. who are your musical influences? what songs do you cover, or practice?
          My musical influences? Hmm... My single main influence would be Guns 'n' Roses then Nirvana, then Pearl Jam and Led Zeppelin. As far as songs I cover, I play Smells Like Teen Spirit pretty close to perfect(obviously not a hard song, everybody knows that)and I'm working on Sweet Child O' Mine and Alive. BTW, I just formed a band, and I'm the only guitarist, oh boy!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            What a bunch of useless junk! Are any of these guys famous - NO! But I am...so here is what you need to know:

#1 Learn the pentatonic minor scale - the basic "blues box." That's it. Don't worry about anything else. That is more than enough musical knowledge. A and E will get you through almost anything. If not, it must be some sucky jazz song...

#2 Play as fast as you can all the time. Don't worry about hitting the right notes - Pentatonic minor sounds good over everything! And people will be so impressed by the speed that they won't notice. Most are not musicians anyway. The only way to develop speed is to practice quickly. Playing really really fast is part of jazz too, by the way.

#3 Use a TON of distortion. This will make it easier to play fast, and blur the notes giving more of an impression that you played the right thing. It's that rock sound that you want, and you can't have too much ever! Playing clean, really fast, IS jazz. We don't want to do that though.

#4 You HAVE to practice making your musical "grimace" in the mirror - that face that at any other time would say "I have a turd stuck and it's killing me" except when you hold a guitar - then the same face means "I'm twisted in agony pouring out my soul in this distorted fast pentatonic minor solo" People will feel the emotion in your solo because you look emotional. Most jazz guys can't play rock because they look bored. Don't forget your big rock stances too!

#5 Cool threads. The chics dig them. Find a girl to take you shopping for your rock star threads. The chics could care less about what you play - they are checking out your pants, shirt, shoes and hair. If you can bring the chics around, you can be in any band you want. Chics are why we want to be in a band in the first place, right? Musicianship is for a bunch of moody, lonely, black turtle neck wearing jazzers.

#6 Great gear. Absolutely essential. No body ever got famous without cool gear. serious gear makes people think you can play good enough to need it. Jazz guys all play the same lame guitar. And a BIG amp. You must be able to sonically overpower any band member you disagree with. The volume of your instrument tells the chics who the most important person in the band is.

Learn this scale, that scale - pffft. when you listen to Nickelback do you even hear them play a solo? If they did would you know the scale or care?
            Clothes, grimace, gear

Those will get you farther than any of that foolishness the others said. You've seen my avatar - you know who I am. Or you can listen to some 17 year old kid named "cream" who is in the band in high school.

You found the right place kid - we are gonna raise you right! You'll be the most in demand band guy for a hundred miles of where ever it is you are! Do your parents know you are on this board?
            ^
            |
            |
            |
            Yes! finally someone who understands what rock n' roll is all about!

Comment

Originally posted by projectx1106 View Post
              ^
              |
              |
              |
              Yes! finally someone who understands what rock n' roll is all about!
              Which is why I never listen to Rock!
              These horse pills really take the edge off! Take 4 of em and that yellow gateway over there opens for da wolfman! -- Carl, ATHF

Comment

Originally posted by Osensei View Post
                Which is why I never listen to Rock!
                You must like Jazz...

Comment

Originally posted by projectx1106 View Post
                  You must like Jazz...
                  Jazz, Latin Jazz, Brazilian, Fusion, and some classic Rock.

To cut to the chase:

Jazz: Pat Martino, George Benson (but not his pop stuff), Wes, Joe Pass

Fusion: Alan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson, Greg Howe, Frank Gambale, Pat Metheny

Brazilian: I just dig the different Brazilian styles but no one guitarist in particular

Latin Jazz: (Same as Brazilian)

Classic Rock: Jimi, Jeff Beck and Santana! Everyone else is a waste of my time.
                  These horse pills really take the edge off! Take 4 of em and that yellow gateway over there opens for da wolfman! -- Carl, ATHF

Comment

Aceman is the only one you need to listen to here...after all like he said HE is the famous one.

Personally the best advise I ever got for playing lead came from the other guitarist in my first band, he said "Just let me play the leads,its easy for me"

I have stuck with that for probably 20 yrs and half a dozen bands, if Nu Metal ever makes a comeback I can be in a 1 guitar band again

Moral of the story: Be careful whos advise you take ....theroy bah!

comon' Nu Metal

When the going gets tough And the stomach acids flow
                    The cold wind of conformity Is nipping at your nose
                    When some trendy new atrocity Has brought you to your knees
                    Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese

Comment

Pat Martino,Alan Holdsworth, Brazilian styles, Jeff Beck
                      The kid is 13. He's looking forward to getting some action in 3 or 4 years. That will NEVER get him laid.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Hey Aceman! What's wrong with being versitile? If the kid has more knowledge than necessary then he can still play whatever gets him laid! Some ppl have a passion for playing, and exploring harmonic devices and creating endless interplay btw melody and harmony. Others just wanna get laid and are perfectly happy playing a lifetime of mediocre pentatonic BS and head banging to achieve undeserved fame! The first type is a musician. The second is a marketer.

And don't tell me that a person can't do both. Look at Scott Henderson. He played complex fusion for years but he can still rip your guts out with the sweetest blues you ever heard.
                        Last edited by Osensei; 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          The kid is 13. He's looking forward to getting some action in 3 or 4 years. That will NEVER get him laid.
                          True, but he can probably already play everything Ace Frehley ever recorded.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Hey Aceman! What's wrong with being versitile? If the kid has more knowledge than necessary then he can still play whatever gets him laid! Some ppl have a passion for playing, and exploring harmonic devices and creating endless interplay btw melody and harmony. Others just wanna get laid and are perfectly happy playing a lifetime of mediocre pentatonic BS and head banging to achieve undeserved fame! The first type is a musician. The second is a marketer.

And don't tell me that a person can't do both. Look at Scott Henderson. He played complex fusion for years but he can still rip your guts out with the sweetest blues you ever heard.
                            But this one goes to 11.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Get a wah pedal, and play with it like a toy. Anything that starts with a D- and ends with an -unlop. Wah tone really helps with solos, it increases your range and makes your playing sound more interesting.

Comment

My tip is that if you use a wah, don't be the guy who only rocks it back and forth on the beat...use that thing with slow swells to make the money notes of a solo stand out and cry and sing.
                                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
                                X